Thread: How to add a building?

Default How to add a building?

I wanted to add the Gulay Gorod to the Russians in the campaign, seeing as how the Gulay Gorod exists as a heavy crossbow unit without the battle wagons. To do that, I wanted to add the Marksman's Range to the Russians to recruit the Gulay Gorod.

What I did was add russia to the factions listed in Marksman's Range and added the Gulay Gorod and Dismoutned Dvor to the unit pools. I loaded up my game, and everything worked fine except one silly little thing: the building's name always shows up as "marksmans_range" instead of "Marksman's Range." How do I fix that? Even though it is just a silly minor detail, I'm a perfectionist, so humor me

So far I've noticed that in export_descr_buildings_enums.txt file, there is no line for marksmans_range_eastern_european, but there is one for _desc and _desc_short. Since the descriptions are displaying properly, I thought I'd just add the line in. No dice. Then, I tried adding a line to the export_buildings.txt.strings.bin file, but that made my game crash.

Any suggestions?

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: How to add a building?

Unpack the strings.bin file using alpaca's converter and add the line in. Then let the game self convert it back to a string bin and it should work.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    Unpack the strings.bin file using alpaca's converter and add the line in. Then let the game self convert it back to a string bin and it should work.
    So it will look at the text file and then overwrite the old strings.bin file? If that's it, then maybe I'll be good to go!

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Yes, pretty much. You need to do it in a mod folder though, not with a file_first only.
    Check alpaca's basic mod folder topic I think it was for details.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

You can use the mod folder installer (if you have 1.2) and uncheck the launcher and music settings, that'll give you most of the text files already converted and ready to be edited.
    You can also use that mod folder to generate your strings.bin files if you want to use io.file_first