Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Out of character thread XV

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Default Re: Out of character thread XV

I was unable to resist the temptation to play this battle, having read about it and posted what I did. There's a very serious problem with it (The AI has no possibility of victory); to avoid spoiling anyone is it okay for me to PM Tincow the details?

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Since TC isn't fighting it and he is GMing, I don't think he would mind knowing about it (I can even guess what it is). Whether he does something about it or not is another matter of course.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuperman
    I think the loss was a combination of Archer/cav inferiority, and A chivalrous general. (and a little incompetence on my behalf)

I placed my merc xbowmen, peasant archers, Dismounted Imperial Knights, spearmen, halbred, my half unit of Feudal knights and General's BG on the high ground to the North. Hoping to get their line to turn so I could hit it with everything else from behind. Everything else being 2 FK's, 4 DFK's and my Pavise xbowmen who were hiddden in the thick woods on the south and west part of the map.

Well, my 'bait' force got pounded by their archers and had a tough slog against the Varangian Guard routing after a very short amount of time, meanwhile their cataphraks ran wide right into my hidden units, seeing my bait force almost dissolved and the enemy general still not exposed, I used the hidden knights to screen the withdrawl of the DKFs, GBG, and PXBowmen.

About this time the town milita units started showing up, Given that they were dead either way, I ran them up to the high ground, and using a funnel type rock formation did as much damage to the Byzantines as I could, they held well for exhausted local militia.

All prisoners were released, the little animated man died on milan and they are besieging an empty city. I disbanded a unit of 2 halbred, and a unit of 3 merc crossbowmen.

I could have probably killed more of them if I put everything on the high ground, but my losses substantially higher, as my 'withdraw path' went right through thier line. Also I dreaded general would have been an asset, as winning this battle by attrition wouldn't (doesn't?) work.
    Oh, if they are still besieging an empty city, you can actually move units inside to fill up the garrison before ending turn, you know?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Oh, I didn't know that.
    Last edited by Stuperman; 11-17-2007 at 21:32.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

I was actually trying to say, that Milan isn't lost yet. You can move a unit inside to draw out the siege

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Should I have done that instead? move myself into my addopted Duchy? can the rebel stack in Genoa region be respawned. Had I known I would have, it seems like the most Fredericus-ish thing to do, but if it will cause headaches or consistancy issues, don't worry about it.

I would effectively be dead then wouldn't I though. unless that army is defeatable in that composition hmmm... I don't want freddy to die, but I do want the siege drawn out.
    Last edited by Stuperman; 11-17-2007 at 21:36.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

You could have someone else move a unit there or send a cavalry unit (which still has MP) inside. Any one unit will do. Can only move in 1 stack (regardless of how many units) though.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Okay, PM away. Hope I didn't set a bad precedent by goofing off to play interesting looking battles on the side.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

I just checked and FH is right. You can move an army into Milan even though it is besieged. I may consider doing that with Lothar himself. From a RP standpoint, the battle against the Byzantines was fought in the field, which would have temporarily left the back door to the city open. An army could have slipped through in that time. I just need to decide if I want to risk Lothar's death, since there's no escape from a siege. A city wall is far less defensible than a citadel...
    Last edited by TinCow; 11-17-2007 at 21:43.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    That was the first full gold stack, yes, ...
    I thought I fought the first full gold stack?

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=175

This thread is over 20 pages. Closing it and starting a new one to reduce loading times.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122