Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Imperial Diet VII

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Default Re: Imperial Diet VII

Arnold:

Well your mind seems to be on another plane of existence Bresch, because the last thing anyone's called me in my life is indecisive.

Would you like to pick a specific issue to argue about, or simply exchange insults?

I don't mind either way, although I warn you, I've been practicing on Venetian diplomats all day so I'm in fine form!!

How about the issue of Prague, I will be interested to know what really happened behind the scenes. Did you not plan to attack the Bohemians at first? Then realising your lack of forces you let Becker lay out the terms, quite the change in attitude don't you think?

Arnold:

Bresch, I certain someone is putting you up to this because you're making no sense.

First you admit you have no idea what happened in Prague and then you go and make up some half assed accusation about a change in my attitude.

What change in my attitude are you referring to exactly?

And for the record, it was immediately apparent to me that I had no military options at all when Becker announced his separation.

Christ, Lord Becker has come out personally and made his own statement on the matter Bresch!!

So if you have some pent up frustrations then I can recommend a house across the road full of "ladies of the night", and they have amazing skills that will have you sleeping like a baby all night.

According to the late Duke Ansehelm you had made plans with him to attack Becker, but those were stopped after his tragic death. I am merely curious on the matter as the whole truth was never revealed to me.

Arnold:

I can personally confirm that military and diplomatic options were discussed in parallel at the early stages of the dispute.

However I'm afraid that until Lord Becker gives consent for me to speak of the matter in public then the agreement is a private affair between myself and a noble of my house.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Dieter von Essen returns to the Diet. He gives a respectful head-nod to Duke Arnold before taking his seat. He reads up on the record of what has been spoken of before speaking.

Edict 14.1 already has the appropriate seconders, but I wholly support it.

It is my hope to see Outremer rebuilt. If possible, with Damascus to be included in that final configuration. But with Damascus being held by our allies, that is more a long term wish than any sort of practical short term strategy. So, we need to go with what is possible now or soon. Cyprus seems like it would be a fine addition.

As for the other matters discussed since my departure, can we possibly keep the unwarranted personal attacks to a minimum?

Dieter stares at Dieter Bresch when he says the last sentence.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Arnold:

As I'm a candidate for Chancellor I'll make my thoughts known on the current legislation.

I certainly support CA's 14.1 and 14.2.

14.3...well how about this for my opinion...

CA 14.xxx The Dukes are granted authority to strip an Emperor of his Empire if a majority of elector in the Reich agree.

Sounds fair and reasonable to me!!!

I have no idea what Hapsburg was thinking when he came up with this but it's ill conceived in my view!!

14.4 is similar to something the late Jan von Hamburg attempts to pass and the same thing I said then applies to now.

Every General has direct responsibility of the Army he is assigned.

The consequences of his actions directly affects him, therefore it's his choice to determine at that time, in that place against that particular enemy what the choice shall be. I've never exterminated any city, but I respect any general's authority to do as he sees fit. If some people have issues then they should lobby hard to determine a particular nobles attitude on the subject before giving them command of one of the House Armies.

I will not support 14.4

Edict 14.1 I support.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 12-16-2007 at 19:22.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I have an edict to propose.

Edict 14.2 - When and if Franconia has no provinces under siege and both Household Armies are not needed to fight a battle, the either the Prussian Army or the Saxon Army is authorized to conquer Arhus.

I apologize for the complexity of this edict, but it is necessary to ensure that we are safe before we strike territories not part of the Reich. The Prinz's Army and one of the Household Armies can suffice for the reclamation of any territories in Franconia, and taking Arhus will drive the Danes of the mainland and secure a border.
    Last edited by gibsonsg91921; 12-16-2007 at 19:48.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

I would like to second Edict 14.1 and 14.2. As for the charter ammendments, some are less well thought out than others.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I would vote for CA 14.4 except that it is too binding and prevents reevaluation in the face of any changes in our economy.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Matthias, ducking back in, ponders a bit and speaks.

It would serve Franconia well to push the Danes across the Baltic. A few ships posted at the narrows would serve to prevent them from crossing back, leaving the Duchy with one fewer front.

I will second Edict 14.2.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Indeed, my noble friends, Hamburg even now stands under grave threat by two Danish armies posted just north of our border there. If we could close that avenue of attack by capturing Arhus then not only would the Danes have a long and difficult march to reach us, their ships would be subject to interdiction by the fleets our of mighty English allies.

At the moment I am quite concerned about Hamburg. One of the armies there is reportedly comprised of highly motivated and experienced men, perhaps their new Prince's Honor Guard, or even their King's men. Additionally I cannot march far enough to reach Hamburg (OOC: %^$^ negative trait!) and hold the walls.

This just serves to emphasize the importance of securing Franconia's northern flank so that we can concentrate on reclaiming lost territory.

Edict 14.2 does not need my second, but I provide it anyway, and beg your support for it.

Arnold:

After reading through the field reports across the Reich and Outremer, then I have to say the entire tactical situation is a "£%£"ing dogs breakfast at the moment!!

If even one general is defeated at this time it would greatly affect the entire defense of the Reich.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Andreas stands and clears his throat.

Duke Arnold and Count Fritz von Kastilien,
    I have been charged with assembling questions from the Electors about your goals and qualifications for the position of Chancellor. It is your choice whether or not to answer any or all of them, but as these represent the concerns of the Electors it may be advisable to do so.

Without further ado:

1. What was the candidate's greatest achievement?

2. What was the candidate's worst mistake?

3. Will the candidate if he is to become chancellor commit to the retaking of a Duchy's former settlements even without an edict? What territorial objectives does the Chancellor set for their term?

4. Do you have any plans to heal the religious rifts in the Reich from the War of the Reformation?

5. Out of our current enemies, which would you prefer to seek peace with, and which destroy?

6. Which front would the Chancellor personally like to campaign on?

7. Would Imperial armies be committed to any other fronts?

8. Which field armies or fronts are in most urgent need of reinforcement?

9. As Chancellor, what would be your strategy in Outremer? How would you fight the Greeks and restore the Kingdom?

10. Would the Chancellor prioritize recruitment or building? What kinds of buildings would the Chancellor be more inclined to authorize?

11. How will the candidate treat those who did note vote him differently from those who did?

12. Why is does the candidate think he is better qualified than his rival?
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Saruman the Wise Member deguerra's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia (but born and bred in Germany)

Ludwig rises

I would like to add one brief inofficial question:

What is the candiates position on and intentions for Antwerp?
    Saruman the White
    Chief of the White Council, Lord of Isengard, Protector of Dunland

Von Hapsburg calls out.

Antwerp is the possession of the Kaiser. The Chancellor has no control over it.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Ludwig gives von Habsburg and icy glare

IF Sir von Hamburg were patient enough to read papers submitted to him (OOC the chancellor reports thread) he would realize that the emperor, in his wisdom, has just given the chancellors control over building order, and that is what I was interested in.
    Saruman the White

1. What was the candidate's greatest achievement?

For all my victories in the field I believe that my greatest achievement remains in my future. Perhaps it will be on the day when I finally stand face to face with my brother's killers.

2. What was the candidate's worst mistake?

Stettin. Need I elucidate?

3. Will the candidate, if he is to become chancellor, commit to the retaking of a Duchy's former settlements even without an edict? What territorial objectives does the Chancellor set for their term?

Edicts are merely politics. I will not permit their existence or lack thereof to obstruct our commanders in the field. I will negotiate closely with the Dukes and their subjects to gain a real world, ground understanding of the strategic and tactical considerations on each front. Where possible the Reich will advance, where necessary we will hold the line.

4. Do you have any plans to heal the religious rifts in the Reich from the War of the Reformation?

In part I have addressed this already with my Proclamation. There is no longer any need for a rift. Unification has been convincingly renounced by every noble of consequence in the Reich.

5. Out of our current enemies, which would you prefer to seek peace with, and which destroy?

I do not believe we need to actively seek peace with any of our enemies, however, if there were a strategic benefit to signing a ceasefire I would certainly attempt to take advantage of it. Glancing briefly at the map I can see benefits to at least temporary ceasefires with the Venetians and Sicilians, as their borders with us are small or on the sea and the potential trade benefits are significant. That being said, if the Dukes on those fronts do not wish peace it will not be forced upon them.

6. Which front would the Chancellor personally like to campaign on?

It is no secret that I mean to personally capture Arhus from the Danes. After that flank of Franconia is secure I will go whither my Duke sends me.

7. Would Imperial armies be committed to any other fronts?

Imperial armies would primarily be used for defense and reinforcement. I would consider them a forward reserve, so far as possible.

8. Which field armies or fronts are in most urgent need of reinforcement?

Outremer is in obvious need of reinforcement; they are facing immense pressure with only the resources of a single county to draw on. Next I would say Swabia is clearly in a troubling state, and the French pressure there is the greatest threat to the heart of the Reich. Second to that I would place Austria as they appear to be in danger of having Zagreb and Ragusa pinched off from the Empire. Next Franconia, where all that is left to defend is the heart of the Duchy, and then Bavaria has the best defensive options with the steep terrain and narrow passes but they are also under heavy pressure.

9. As Chancellor, what would be your strategy in Outremer? How would you fight the Greeks and restore the Kingdom?

I would need more close discussions with King Steffen, but it would appear to me that the Byzantines have their armies heavily concentrated at the front, and for the time being a defensive posture is logically best. The day will not be too long in coming when we can reclaim our lost holdings, and expand into Byzantine territory.

10. Would the Chancellor prioritize recruitment or building? What kinds of buildings would the Chancellor be more inclined to authorize?

In a time of often desperate defense, recruitment must be a priority. With that in mind, however, economic advancement feeds recruitment and will require the construction of some economic buildings as well as military structures. I will attempt to authorize whatever the Dukes and Counts wish, but where it is not possible I will endeavor to take the long view on buildings and the short view on recruitment.

11. How will the candidate treat those who did note vote him differently from those who did?

This question is insulting in the extreme, and I am disappointed that you would ask it Sir Andreas. It is meaningless to me whether or not a man chose me over Duke Arnold. I am here to serve, and if I am not chosen to serve then I will bow my head to the will of the majority.

12. Why does the candidate think he is better qualified than his rival?

I have answered this question in detail in my opening speech. To be brief, I have a broader base of experience in diplomatic matters and a similar level of command experience. Duke Arnold would make a fine Chancellor, but as the Reich has suffered, so have I. As the Reich has erred, so have I. And as the Reich will redeem itself, so will I.

Andreas looks up upon hearing Fritz's anger over one of te questions.

I meant no insult, Count von Kastilien. That particular question was not written by me, but by another Elector who insisted on remaining anonymous.

Ludwig rises and bows respectfully to Fritz

Graf von Kastilien,

I hate to be intrusive, but could you also answer my question regarding Antwerp?

It is a topic rather dear to my heart
    Saruman the White

Of course Count von Bohmen, it seems clear to me that Antwerp must be incorporated into the Reich and the House of Swabia in all haste. Additionally the city has great potential for trade in a time when the economy is of crucial importance. I suspect Antwerp will become, like Hamburg, a great northern center for the Reich's trade goods and, in due time, a mighty port.

Thankyou kindly for answering. I realize it is not a major issue like many of those being discussed, but to us Swabians, and my Flemish subjects it is obviously an issue of some importance. thankyou again for your consideration
    Saruman the White

Still warlusting... Member Warluster's Avatar

Duke von Salza rises hastily, so he ask his own question.

Both Chancellors, what would your intentions be with Swabia? We only have some four cities left with us, two of which are under heavy siege. Would you listen to our proposals of attack, proposals from ALL of Swabian Electors? How would you help?

Duke von Salza sits, and watches the two candiaties, and strangely, the Bavarian bench.

Dieter stands up,

Gentlemen,

Let me take this opportunity to give my full endorsement to Duke Arnold for Chancellor.

He has my complete confidence in leading us towards recovery.

Dieter sits

Duke of Nicosia

the Swabian bench hears Ludwig mutter sarcastically

Oh well young Dietrich supports Arnold. Thats a huge weight off everyone's minds.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    somewhat OOC:
    Saruman the White

Quote Originally Posted by deguerra
    Oh well young Dietrich supports Arnold. Thats a huge weight off everyone's minds.
    Dietrich supports Duke Arnold too? Well that is good to hear. The problem is, the only Dietrich that has been around lately is Dietrich von Dassel and he is dead. Unless you mean Dietrich von Saxony. But he's been dead for years.

Yes, even the dead support Duke Arnold!

Somewhat more OOC than deguerra:

Duke of Nicosia

damn, I try to make a snarky remark and fail. I suppose it is possible IC that Ludwig would not know Dieters name :D IN any case, Kev, I meant no insult, I am merely amused at young Dieters outspoken nature
    Saruman the White

OOC: No insult taken. :D I have learned the hard way to check my spelling. I have been lambasted for how Jan spelled Elberhard wrong before. I have learned that mistakes in grammar, spelling, and province names are fair game.

Duke of Nicosia

Tiberius/Fred/Mark/Isaak Member flyd's Avatar

The dead can support whomever they want, as long as we don't count their votes.
    Βασιλεοπατωρ Ισαακιος Κομνηνος
    Basileopator Isaakios Komnenos

(Save Elberhard)

Andreas turns to Ludwig

Count Bohmen, there is no need to insult the young man by getting his name wrong. Youths often make such solemn pronouncements quite seriously, without thinking of how they sound to older ears.

Herr von Essen, I commend you for making a stand so early in the competition. I myself prefer to wait until both candidates have their say regarding the questions, but I fully understand you supporting your Duke

It wasn't a mistake, obviously von Bohmen did it on purpose to add to the insult..ok, maybe it was a mistake.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast