Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corruption of end-of-turn symbols

Default Re: Corruption of end-of-turn symbols

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    What you're experiencing is not necessarily the same as the old problems that have been observed. Try playing with real vanilla, without any changes and see if it still happens.
    I might later but I consider the 7k to 10k florians at the start of the factions pretty low considering how fast can build everything else around me.

After careful thought of the advice given form some pretty knowledgable such as Factionheir and alpaca, I wonder if these points have been considered?
    Factionheir, I have considered using the add_money cheat but I just decided to take it all at once. Using the add_money cheat, add_population cheat, and process_cq cheat, I can turn any village into a huge city with all the building built in one turn. I have not done that. In fact, I have used a lot of constraint.
    when counting symbols at 90 regions for end of turn the possibilities are these:
    Disaster = 1
    Enemy agent caught = I have had as many as 6 and they are all inividual.
    settlement besieged = 1 per settlement besieged. I have had as many as 5.
    end of year report = 1.
    guilds = 1 per guild and/or upgrade.
    construction = a possibility of 90 but probably 40 or 50. Only one construction symbol but all these are buried in it and that eats memory hole by itself.
    recruitment = average of 2 to 3 in vanilla x 90 regions easily puts it over 200 new units. Only one recruitment symbol but all 200+ of these are buried in it.
    family = endless possibilities with births, deaths, marriages, traits, retinue, etc. and they each take memory.
    diplomacy is as varied as family depending on how many factions still standing.
    Council of Nobles.
    Pope and his wishes.
    Crusade stats when there is one.
    Jihad stats when there is one. I have had a crusade and a jihad going at the same time.

If you can show me the numbers to prove me wrong, and I seriously hope you can, whether its year 1200 or 1400 with gunpowder it will crash.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I actually cancelled all your queues before ending turn, so it is unlikely that it is from unit training. Similarly I did not build anything.
    In my own games, I had up to 6 settlements besieged at a time and you only had 2 in 1202.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

The thing about it and run it again if you desire if only for curiosity, the first symbol corrupted almost every time has been the units completed symbol and it is tied to a lot of memory. Even if each unit completed "only" uses 5kb that amount of units would shove the memory usage up a meg by itself. The second one to corrupt has been costruction completed symbol for the same reason.
    Now from a modder's perspective, in hard numbers, what are the maximum amount of units can be recruited per turn, maximum number of biuldings constructed? These are the kinds of things modders have control over if given the numbers. If anyone, including me wants to kick in the afterburners, then it's our fault. If we have no information, it's not our fault. Besides, I've had 6 besieged settlements before at one time. I lost 2 of them before I could get reinforcements there.

I have a hypothetical question. Is there a chance that the hardcoded limits for recruitment and construction are carried over from RTW? It's been too long ago since the initial release of the game for any programmer to remember and I don't expect them to.

Even with all the rants by me I am going to find out what these limits are even if it takes until next month. When I do I'll post the results for all.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

What I meant with vanilla is to uninstall the game, wipe the folder, reinstall and then change nothing and play a campaign (don't forget to make a backup of any changed files beforehand though). It could be there's some changes you made that you don't remember or some unforeseen stuff happening.

If you feel like it's too much bother, that's ok

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca
    What I meant with vanilla is to uninstall the game, wipe the folder, reinstall and then change nothing and play a campaign (don't forget to make a backup of any changed files beforehand though). It could be there's some changes you made that you don't remember or some unforeseen stuff happening.

If you feel like it's too much bother, that's ok

I know what you meant and the message is taken wholeheartedly, no spite intended. It was the only file that I changed. Right now I have my curiosity piqued as to what the limits are before the sd files "crash". It's just going to take a long campaign with recruitment slots reduced, no changing construction times , no changing money. I want to find out once and for all and with reproducable evidence of what the limits are. If I can do this for the community then our modders can make some excellent crash-proof mods. I have used the tools you have written for M2TW including .sd convertor and strings_bin convertor. By my being able to look inside these files I have been able get some of my information. Now I want to know "why" and I consider research part of modding.

You can do what you want with the information, including wiki, FAQs, hardcoded limits but I have found, not once but twice, the maximum of units recruited per turn without a crash of any kind is 210. If anyone wants be "Doubting Thomas", and question it, take the time, run the test, and prove it yourself.

A patch is indeed forthcoming, don't know what FactionHeir was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne
    A patch is indeed forthcoming, don't know what FactionHeir was talking about.
    Thank you. Best news I've had in days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12