Thread: VanillaMod Bug thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default VanillaMod Bug thread

If you come across any bugs using VanillaMod 0.9, report them here
    Even if you are unsure whether it is caused by VanillaMod or M2TW itself, just describe the bug here and I will deal with it as appropriate and as fast as time allows.

Currently known bugs:
    - Missing unit descriptions for several added Byzantine gunpowder artillery pieces (Low priority. Will get to it when I find the time.)
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 01-07-2008 at 12:40.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Default Re: VanillaMod Bug thread

Hello! Great Mod.

However there is one bug that I found: You can't produce agents (Priests, Diplomats...) as their max agent number is set to zero.

I had to change that in one of the files.

Hiya,

Sorry about that. I forgot to mention some tweaks in the documentation.
    Priests are produced as in the vanilla game (i.e. 1-3 priests depending on church level) so I didn't change that.
    Diplomats I did change. Diplomats can be recruited as normal, but I set a limit on their production in terms of 1 diplomat for every townhall level 2+ building. This was done to prevent the AI from spamming countless diplomats, wasting their florins and prolong the player's end turn period watching many diplomats do nothing around your settlements.

I will add this to a new section in the readme in the upcoming update. Thanks!
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Great mod.
    Altough I can't recruit agents. So I Downloaded your fixes, and in the KOTRfixREADME.txt, is written this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now to apply those fixes, you will need to run your medieval game exe using a shortcut or a bat file.
    The target of said file should read similar to this:

C:\Medieval\medieval2.exe --io.file_first

Where "C:\Medieval\" varies depending on your installation but medieval2.exe --io.file_first should be constant.

As above does not always work for some systems, the path may alternatively have to be similar to this:
    "C:\Medieval\medieval2.exe" --io.file_first
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I Realy don't know how to change that "--io.file_first" thing. I unpacked all the files in my medieval 2 folder, but still I can't recruit any agent but priests.
    How can I apply your fixes, and where are the files that I must change to recruit the agents, just like Slawomir did?

Thanks again for the mod :)

I have moved your previous post to the FAQ section with an answer.

The Idle Inquisitor Member rebelscum's Avatar
    Hiding behind a bush ready to pounce, like a good Rebel.

There are issues when shooting from external walls into castle courtyards. When I sieged a large town my longbows could not shoot down onto enemy units. They would not attempt to autofire either.
    Perhaps a positional issue.
    I hate my signature!

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

Had a bug where the game would CTD whenever I clicked on a scottish agent or on a pirate fleet. I was able to solve this by copying events.dat and events.idx from the original M2:TW/date/sounds folder to the M2:TW/VanillaMod/data/sounds folder. No CTD anymore now. Just thought you'd like to know!
    BTW, great mod. I was enjoying myself thoroughly with Lusted's LTC mod, but it was hard to get to higher-tech units there. VanillaMod actually lets you (and the AI) get there faster! Thanks!
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

Hmm that's odd because I didn't even mod any sounds!
    In fact, this folder shouldn't even be there!

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

I thought about the sound issue again, and came to the conclusion that it's probably to do with the fact that I have and play the German version of M2:TW. Anyway, the fix I described worked well enough. Not a single CTD since! No other overt bugs that I've noticed, either.

On a different note: This may just be a "feature", but have Janissary Heavy Infantry always performed so poorly? I never had them before (only played the Turks in LTC mod before moving to VanillaMod), and I was really looking forward to those guys. Their stats looked rather mediocre, but everybody said it was their fast animations that made them deadly. Now I haven't found them to be deadly, but rather crappy - for 840 fl, I expected a little more! Two (slightly damaged) units of JHI lost to one (also slightly damaged!) unit of Dismounted Byzantine Lancers? WTF??? This was attacking the Byzzies' walls, but still! Dismounted Lancers aren't even in the same class as DFK!
    Can't be the animations or any kind of 2Hander bug: JHI always rack up quite a few kills when I use them. But they're far from supreme units, and I mostly lose more than I kill with them, seem to be better off with plain old Saracen Militia. Maybe you could look into balance again?
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

Hmmm interesting. They seemed to do just fine in my own tests (note I use small unit sizes for tactics), but the wall bonus is hardcoded and very high.

Are they performing badly on the field as well? They are meant to be a field version of halberd infantry who can stand up to some of the sword infantry in pure infantry melee, but are best against mounted units, because of high attack, mediocre defence and decent charge bonus. Their halberd of course also give them the armor piercing bonus.

I'll have a look around when I get the time, got a lot of RL projects currently wanting to get done (end of financial year and all)

Thumbs down I am behind you.Getting out of bed every morning with a bringht heart.

this probably isnt a vanilla mod bug(probably universal), but seeing as i still play your vanilla mod, i was hoping you might be able to fix it up a bit, or have a solution. :)

I notice the AI just kind of stands there in certain siege battles.
    while its kind of fun to pick them off with archers, or artillery, its also unrealistic and somewhat disappointing.

i just sallied forth against a much larger force than mine.
    they backed up, and let me pick off their entire general unit with a ballista.
    i then went over to their flank, and discovered i can take out 10 men at a time.
    all the while they just stand there and take it until my ammo runs out.

i know a couple units of mailed knights and a ballista unit has no business winning against a stack of spearmen with a generals bodyguard.(mostly merc spearmen, and some merc xbowmen)
    Yet it was a complete rout.