Thread: Stephen King

Default Stephen King

What do you guys think of him as an author, I heard good things somewhere but after reading about 1/4 of Desperation i'm not too sure I like his style.

Denny

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stephen King

I personally like him, but his best work is behind him. Case in point: I'm reading The Stand (for the first time) right now.

IMHO, his best book was written in the 70s not even under his name. It's called The Long Walk and while not his usual supernatural gruesome style, it's still got this extremely haunting quality of its own. I sincerely suggest you check it out.

Finally, as far as epic series go, you can't beat The Dark Tower.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

That was quick! Yh sure my mind is not set on him being useless. I'll check out his other material,

Denny

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I prefer his older stuff, but I haven't kept up with his recent work to be a decent judge of it. His short story compilations are pretty good (Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, etc.), as well as Different Seasons (4 novellas, 3 of which were made into movies, including the Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me). More weird tales than horror, but he does that very well.

With some of his longer stories, I get the feeling that he didn't know how to finish up, and the endings were just lacking. But there is some quality there, The Stand, The Shining, Salem's Lot, Misery.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

I've read a few of his short stories and enjoyed them a lot. Never read a whole novel of his, though.

His book, On Writing, a writer's guide, is excellent. I took it out from the library countless times and ended up getting it for Christmas this year. It's on the shelf right beside The Elements of Style by Strunk & White.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

King is a good story teller. I own all of his books, except the most recent because I wait for them to go paperback these days. Unfortunately, like so many artists, much of his best inspiration came via chemicals, and when he gave up the drugs his furiously paced prose fell off. Being nearly killed in a car accident (He was walking and got hit by a drunk) a few years ago didn't help either. Desperation was an odd kind of companion novel to one he wrote as Bachman called The Regulators.

It is by far my favorite King book.

Four Past Midnight is another good set of short stories/novellas that are good, as are the previously mentioned collections (Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and Everything's Eventual are the rest of his collections as far as I remember off the top of my head).

Salem's Lot and Carrie are very good, from among his older works.

I'd recommend the first three in the Gunslinger series, but the rest fall off from the premise as he goes too long between picking up the pen. Still good books, but not the same driven brilliance as the first two in particular.

very nice thankyou, what are the best novels/authors around? Like is War and Peace as good as it is made out? Also is Isaac Asimov good? (he is the sci-fi writer?)

Denny

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Isaac Asimov is entertaining, particular his short stories. As with King, I think his longer works, decent as parts may be, are long-winded and far weaker than the shorter, snappier texts.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Ach, King...i still can't get over the horror that was Misery.

I don't mean horror as in his story, i mean horror as in how good it was and the contents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

He's good at creating tension and mystery but less succesfull wrapping it up. His best story is The Fog imho.

Ive read another few chapters of Desperation and it does seem a little long winded, lots of information that can just be skipped. I mean there is a really good, if stereotyped, story of a kidnap in the desert but he keeps flcking back to road trips and such. I just think keep with the main story, tension is lost because you already know that the person on the roadtrip is either imprisoned or killed.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

My opinion on King: An author with an incredible imagination who comes up with wonderful stories, but who can't write worth a damn. His plots and worlds are great. He just isn't very good at the whole writing part of it.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Exactly. That's why I prefer his short stories. Doesn't get the time/space to write too much, he needs to tell the story.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    ...but who can't write worth a damn. His plots and worlds are great. He just isn't very good at the whole writing part of it.
    Funny you should say that, because his instruction book for writers is very, very good.

Maybe he hasn't read it.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

He definitely understands how to write. As others have mentioned, his short stories are almost always outstanding. I think part of his problem is that his excellent ideas are relatively simple in nature and do not involve elaborate plots. I've read before that he gets a lot of his ideas from his dreams, and jots down notes about them when he wakes up. This is perfect for a short story where you are focusing on a single plot device where elaborate character backstories and complex relationships are skipped. However, novels require a lot more meat to them and I think King has a lot of problems coming up with this 'filler' material. That is why his books alwas seem to start off great, then grind through lots of stiff character interactions until the major plot point appears, then they end with a bang. Maybe it's not a failing of his writing so much as a failing of his inspiration. He writes well when inspired by a story, but languishes when the plot goes through territory that was not part of the original concept.

Interesting. You'd probably make the guy cry if you ever told him that.

In his book, On Writing, he says that his books come from simply questions. "What would happen if..." Perhaps that is better for a short story. But I can't say much about his novels as I've never read one. (And probably never will.)

One of the major differences you can see in his novels post-abuse is that they balloon uncontrollably. Compare The Dead Zone, which was a nicely spare development of a pretty decent small ball idea to the later Dreamcatcher, which was a fairly crude, one note idea to start with and still managed to try to fill six hundred pages. Of course publishers encourage that bloat too, but Dreamcatcher just barely would've made a decent short story.

The clearest example of this problem is in comparing the first Gunslinger book, which evoked a clearly alien, and interesting, world and managed to tell a good story in it at around two hundred pages, to the fifth Gunslinger book. It was one of the first books he wrote free of his issues (AFAIK), and it's a mess.

All that being said, one of the reasons I enjoy the massive It is because it's as complete an exploration of the impact of a well imagined monster as there is in the business. That's one of the reasons why I call him a good storyteller, rather than a good writer.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP
    The clearest example of this problem is in comparing the first Gunslinger book, which evoked a clearly alien, and interesting, world and managed to tell a good story in it at around two hundred pages, to the fifth Gunslinger book. It was one of the first books he wrote free of his issues (AFAIK), and it's a mess.
    See, that's interesting. While I agree with you on the first point about Book 1 (and just for clarification, Gunslinger series and The Dark Tower series are the same thing), I found that one a mess. Even King admits that it's not very good.

Whereas #5, while long, was much more clearly structured and longer but still managed to fill the entire book with meaningful, non-filler material. I wonder if it's any coincidence that I read #5 much faster than #1, even though #5 is three times #1's size.

The only ones in that series that bogged down, IMHO, were #s 4 and 7.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

I think King's issues with book one derive, in large part, from what I took to be it's intentionally disjointed narrative. It bounces back and forth, but that actually helps establish how alien a world it takes place in. Most of all, it explains very little, things simply happen. When the backdrop for the story is as odd and complicated as the one from the Gunslinger books I find that approach more often compelling than excessive detail or explanation. Also when a lead character, like Roland, has a blank faced, grim acceptance of even the most outlandish and horrible happenings, it's a good idea to explain little and leave the reader with no choice but to follow in his wake.

Whereas in Calla King drags in elements from all over the place, including his own earlier books, struggling to actually anchor his crazy fantasy world in a larger reality of some kind. There are multiple major themes erupting every few pages in the first four chapters, and none of them get a satsifying end, despite pages of detail on the lives of side characters.

For me it's the difference between a book that spends pages doing things, going places, and a book that spends pages trying to explain why things were done and why places were visited.

...but that's what great about good books, they speak to everyone differently. I know some people who thought the end of the series was just wrong, intolerable, but I can't imagine it ending in any other way.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A very good storyteller, my favorite of his works is The Stand and Salem's Lot, the former of which is marvelous in its ability to create tension and terror.

CR
    Last edited by Crazed Rabbit; 01-31-2008 at 00:49.
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

For the King fans out there, and are interested in the man himself, read Cujo. He says he was blind drunk the whole time he wrote it and doesn't remember a thing.

In vino typrewritus?

I never really knew about his drug problems, just booze. That would probably explain the short story "Survivor Type", in Skeleton Crew. It's about a surgeon marooned on an tiny island with a surgical bag, a bunch of heroin he was smuggling, and no food. It's written as a diary the guy kept. King's drug use would explain a lot.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I never really knew about his drug problems, just booze. That would probably explain the short story "Survivor Type", in Skeleton Crew. It's about a surgeon marooned on an tiny island with a surgical bag, a bunch of heroin he was smuggling, and no food. It's written as a diary the guy kept. King's drug use would explain a lot.
    That was a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    That was a great story!
    Wasn't the last diary entry dated something like Feb 40th?

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I've never read any of his stuff myself, but I know some people that have. The all share one thing in common. They are all a little messed up in the head...which is my reason for not reading him. Not to offend anyone here, though.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Ship Chuckle
    I've never read any of his stuff myself, but I know some people that have. The all share one thing in common. They are all a little messed up in the head...which is my reason for not reading him. Not to offend anyone here, though.
    If we weren't a little messed up in the head, most of us wouldn't be here.