Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.1 fixes you should try before posting

Default 1.1 fixes you should try before posting

DO NOT POST ANYTHING HERE BUT COMMENTS ON THE FIXES, SUCH AS A BROKEN LINK. FOR HELP, CREATE YOUR OWN THREAD.

Having a crash before even starting the campaign? Take a look at the EB installation validation thread before posting a thread for help. It contains a wealth of possible solutions you should try. You may want to state your case (in a new thread!) and get advice on what to try first, but you should post the validation results in your help thread as a minimum.

I will post important updates here, for instance CTD fixes. When the instructions say to unpack files, you can use 7-zip, which is free.

If your game crashes, with all permanent fixes installed, please try more than once as some crashes happen as flukes, never to return. These flukes are impossible to investigate, so only post a report if the crash is persistent (or happens very often spread over some turns).

The temporary fixes will disable varying degrees of functionality and should therefore only be used to get past a persistent crash. Even if installing a temporary fix gets you past the problem, we still want you to post the savegame before the persistent crash, to help us find permanent, non-gamebreaking fixes. Try all the temporary fixes before posting. When you do post, make sure to say which temporary fix got you past it. If it still crashes with the temporary ones, please answer the questions found here in your report.

Retroactive means having an effect on ongoing campaigns, and not retroactive means you'll have to start a new campaign to get its effects.

Permanent fixes for 1.1:
    • Traits PROBABLY RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-04-27: Nomad client ruler impostor fix.
      • There was a comment missing its marker, with unknown effects.
      • The nomad factions' client rulers got the "impostor" trait while staying in their settlement.
      • Download this file from the EB FTP.
      • Unpack into <RTW directory>/EB/data.

• Script PARTIALLY RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-06-08: Created.
      • The Sweboz reform caused a spam of reform markers, one per time the player reloaded the game, which will eventually cause a CTD. It will immediately stop spamming with this fix, however existing spammed markers cannot be removed save by a complex procedure that I won't iterate. If your savegame is affected by the spam, you could consider starting a new campaign. Either way, you should install this fix permanently, or one of the optional ones that includes it.

• Unit size NOT RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-04-19: Yet another fix for these. Tellos now believes them all correct.
      • For lots of factions, the unit size traits got the wrong value or were missing altogether. This affects lots of battle triggers.

• Missing sprites RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-04-13: Created.
      • Several sprites for units added soon before the release were forgotten, causing CTDs while loading battles. This fix will add the missing sprites, and fix an error in DMB concerning them.

Temporary fixes:
    • Alexandria battle freeze RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-05-09: Created.
      • One of the tiles near Alexandria causes the game to freeze when you're about to deploy the troops. This may fix it but is not tested yet. Please report here whether it works! And why is it temporary? Because it will probably screw up your multiplayer if you keep it installed.
      • Download this file from the EB FTP and put it in <RTW directory>/EB/data.
      • Take a backup of <RTW directory>/EB/data/world/maps/base/MAP_HEIGHTS.TGA by for instance copying it to MAP_HEIGHTS.TGA.original.
      • Use the fix as necessary:
        • Unpack the archive into <RTW directory>/EB/data.
        • Run the game. Do not start or load a campaign.
        • Alt-tab out of the game and delete <RTW directory>/EB/data/world/maps/base/map.rwm. (The trivial script will restore it the next time you run the game)
        • Load the campaign in which you're having the freeze problem and play the battle. Save your game.
        • Restore the original map_heights.tga by copying EB/data/world/maps/base/MAP_HEIGHTS.TGA.original to MAP_HEIGHTS.TGA.

Optional changes:
    And why are they optional and unsupported? Because they do not concern fatal bugs. You will be able to complete a game without them.
    • Initial client ruler interlopers NOT RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-04-15: Created.
      • The initial client rulers have an error causing the game to see them as interlopers. This will fix them so they can stay in their cities.
      • Run the game. Do not start or load a campaign.
      • Alt-tab out of the game and delete <RTW directory>/EB/data/world/maps/base/map.rwm.
      • Start any campaign and quit the game.
      • Copy the newly generated map.rwm into <RTW directory>EB/sp game edu backup.

• Client ruler script optimization RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-06-08: Fixed german reform marker spam.
      • The client ruler script has been bloated, and this optimization may decrease the wait for the AI factions' turns.

• Client ruler potential fix NOT RETROACTIVE
      • Updated 2008-06-08: Fixed german reform marker spam.
      • Due to reported problems with the optimized client ruler script, LordBula has created this package which may be both faster than the original 1.1 client ruler script and work as intended .
      • NOTE: This fix includes several of the files that are affected by other fixes (and should contain their contents). Make sure that this fix is the last one you apply, so that you don't kill part of the changes this is supposed to make with the other ones.
      • Please report whether you still get problems with interlopers and impostors where they shouldn't be!
    Last edited by bovi; 08-24-2008 at 07:41.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Default Re: 1.1 fixes you should try before posting

Out of pure curiosity - what comment was it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybvep
    Out of pure curiosity - what comment was it?
    Line 37600

Code:
    ;--------------------------------------------------------------
    Mod: EBMod959 - 11/26/07 : added trait for a unique building
    ;===============================================================
    ;Section: == TRIGGER DATA STARTS HERE ==
    ;===============================================================
    Last edited by Pezlu; 04-11-2008 at 13:52.
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

I just DL them without any problem i think the problem is on your site (Firewall?)
    Last edited by Sassem; 04-13-2008 at 15:21.

Yes try to see if temporarily disabling the firewall helps?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

TELLOS ATHENAIOS: Yes try to see if temporarily disabling the firewall helps?
    That's ok, I downloaded them after temporarily disabling the firewall...thanks guys

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Um, what does the absence of the unitsize trait do, exactly? What's a "battle trigger" effect? Am I going to notice it if I'm not playing the Makedonians?
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-15-2008 at 23:06.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

According to Marvin, there are more stuff wrong with it as well, so not only Makedonian. But the fix currently only fixes the Mak ones. Basically, many battle triggers depend on the battle size and are on the form NumFriendsInBattle > <something> and UnitSize = <size>. Since there are 4 unit sizes, we need to have this in order to have similar effects regardless of size, otherwise some triggers would only have effect on huge.

An example would be
    NumFriendsInBattle > 100 and UnitSize = 1
    NumFriendsInBattle > 200 and UnitSize = 2
    NumFriendsInBattle > 400 and UnitSize = 3
    NumFriendsInBattle > 800 and UnitSize = 4

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

So if you're playing on Huge already, does it matter? And what are "battle triggers"?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

"Battle triggers" are trait triggers that happen in conjunction with battles: before a battle, upon retreat, upon battle ending.

Having unit size set to huge will not fix this, as the triggers require UnitSize to have a specific value, while in your case it has none (or zero, if you will).
    Last edited by bovi; 04-16-2008 at 11:56.

================
    ================

Handler of candles Member Xehh II's Avatar

What does retroactive mean?
    A ha ha! Rainbows and unicorns! Rainbows and unicorns!

Retroactive

Adjective
    retroactive (comparative more retroactive, superlative most retroactive)

1. extending in scope, effect, application or influence to a prior time or to prior conditions
    Basically, in this case it means it has effect on ongoing campaigns, as opposed to new campaigns started after installing the fix.

================
    ================

New fix, the Alexandria freeze temporary one.

================
    ================

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Does this work? I'm screwing with some files in the data directory now, so I should be going on with a new campaign pretty soon.
    ~Maion

Made this for a friend, but if anyone wanted all the current fixes in one download along with the instructions on here.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8TJ3VKFS

If I don't intend to play multiplayer, is it safe to keep the temp fix installed?

Yes.

================
    ================

Hi all! Thank you for this wonderful mod!

I just have two questions..

1)The EBBS_script contained in the "Potenzial Client Ruler Fix" is different from the last fix for Sweboz Reforms, away form the new Gov4 client ruler fix, the Check for the Sweboz Reforms is a bit different, because in one a settlement is named "Swebotráustástámnoz" in the other "Swebotraustastamnoz", which of the two is the correct one?

2)Editing the "export_descr_character_trait.txt of the Client Ruler potenzial fix to fit with Alexander EB i noticed that at line 37590:

Code:
    Trait FamilyMember
        Characters family
        ;Hidden
    Is that causing the "Family Member" trait being visible in the game with the description "hidden" or it's working as intended?

Thank you for your patience!

The EBBS_Script should be updated in the two optional fixes as well, so if you can see Swebotraustastamnoz still, there's an error. The correct is Swebotr&#225;ust&#225;st&#225;mnoz.

While I don't know that client ruler fix, I presume it is desirable to see the Family Member trait so you can differentiate with the new client rulers before they get assigned that trait.
    Last edited by bovi; 06-08-2008 at 17:33.

================
    ================

Okey, thank you, i was using the "old" fixed script, i don't see that it was updated today aswell .

For the Family Trait, i agree with you, i'd like only to know if it's working as i intendend or i could change the description of the trait..."Hidden" looks really like something "internal data only, you should not read this stuff!".

However, thanks a lot for the answers :D

for the one that fixes the swobx reform spam do i get rid of the current script folder in C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Copy of Rome - Total War\EB\Data?

You can take a backup of the old script. Beyond that, follow the instructions.

================
    ================

Have you considered making a packl of all of these put together?
    If you did, do it do it do it.

Oh and to raise more awareness, you should change the titel to 1.1 fixes you should try before playing.
    Last edited by Olaf The Great; 06-12-2008 at 04:34.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Yes. I won't, for the sake of saving my time (I've said this numerous times now). Anyone else is free to maintain a aggregate.

I can't change the title, and I think it is okay now. My sig should attract people well enough.
    Last edited by bovi; 06-12-2008 at 07:44.

================
    ================

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: 1.1 fixes you should try before posting

When I apply the unit size fix now (year 267 Makedonia campaign), will my Generals get the correct battle related traits from the time of the fix-install onward? Or will they just never get them? Is it extremely bad to miss them right traits out?

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Yes. I won't, for the sake of saving my time (I've said this numerous times now). Anyone else is free to maintain a aggregate.

I can't change the title, and I think it is okay now. My sig should attract people well enough.
    Fair enough, it's not really necessary anyway.

Yeah, the big bold letters +the sig pic attract peopel to it.

Can't mods(such as ludens(?)) do something like that, I remember TA changed the title of the blame game thread.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: 1.1 fixes you should try before posting

I can only access the thread tools in forums where I moderate, so I cannot change the title of this thread. One of the local moderators should be able to do so, however.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Centurio: No. It is not retroactive, you must start a new campaign. On the other hand, it won't harm your current one either to install it. Yes, it's bad for campaign balance to not have these correct.

Let me reiterate that I think the thread title should be okay as is, so no moderator comes along and changes it .

================
    ================

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: Re: 1.1 fixes you should try before posting

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Centurio: No. It is not retroactive, you must start a new campaign. On the other hand, it won't harm your current one either to install it. Yes, it's bad for campaign balance to not have these correct.
    Why is it bad for campaign balance, what traits am I missing? Are there new traits like "killed 5000 in battle" or something along those lines? Because I'm 10 years now into my campaign, and as always I was much to eager to start instead of taking a look at the fixes-thread first... And I like my campaign, I don't want to start all over again.

Edit: When I install it, won't they just from then on get the correct traits for the upcoming battles?
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 06-13-2008 at 16:38.

All the information I could give you is already in the OP and my previous response. It is NOT retroactive. It will make no difference to your ongoing campaign, good or bad. It concerns tons of battle triggers.
    Last edited by bovi; 06-13-2008 at 22:48.

================
    ================

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast