Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2008

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Default Euro 2008

Euro 2008 is here! I’ve thought about making a game where participants predicts the score in order to win the points and becomes champion.

Final Leader board Standings]

(1)LittleGrizzly /310
    (2)Poor Bloody Infantry /270
    (3)Craterus /260
    =Rythmic

(5)InsaneApache /250
    =Ser Clegane

(7)Elite Ferret /240
    (8)Husar /230
    (9)Louis VI the Fat /220
    =Mehphistophilis
    (11)Gaius Scribonius Curio /210
    (12)Mediolanicus /200
    (13)Scurvy /190
    =Woad&Fangs
    (15)Adrian II /170
    (16)Quintus.J.Cicero /160
    (17)Proletariat /150
    (18)Decker /100
    (19)King_Of_Portugal_2 /140
    (20)Faction Heir /120
    (21)Bablos /80
    (22)atheotes /70
    (23)Centurio Nixalsverdrus /60
    (24)Dutch Guy /50
    =Swordmaster
    (26)Tristan de Castelreng /40
    =Big King Sanctaphrax
    Tamur
    LeftEyeNine
    (30)The Stranger /30
    =Evil-Manic from Mars
    Uesugi Kenshin
    Moros
    (34)Ichiago /10
    (35)Quid /0
    =Knight Templar

Rules:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The final score prediction must be submitted before the kick off. After making your prediction to the public no editing your post is allowed or the player automatically chose to forfeit the prediction for that match.

Example:
    Match Day 1
    Final prediction: Switzerland 1-2 Czech Republic
    Portugal 3-1 Turkey

There is no consequence to a player who is unable to submit the score before the kick-off, other than simply forfeiting the chance to bank some points for the day.

Points system
    Group stages
    30 points for perfect score. 10 points for picking the right result (who wins by any score), no point is gained or lost if the player get it wrong.

For example if the player predicts the Czech V.S Switzerland game will be 2-1.
    The player gets 30 points if the actual result is 2-1 to Czech.
    The player gets 10 points if the Czech won the match by a different score.
    The player gets no points if the Czech draws or lost.

‘Sure Bet’: This is an special ability which the player picks the exact score, and if getting it perfectly right will increase his tally by 20 points (group stage). Example as the Czech won 2-1 and the player receives 20 extra points on top of his 30 points, making the total earning 50 points. If the player doesn’t get the exact score then he loses 10 points. example being the Czech won 3-1, the player receives 10 points for the right result but loses 10 point for getting it wrong. Making the total earning 0 points. And if he got the result wrong as well then he loses 10 points altogether. The usage of this special ability is limited and the player must chose to pick the right game to use it.

Quarter finals:
    The winnings get higher. 50 points for perfect score (only in normal time), 30 for right result and minus 10 for getting nothing right. (Even if your prediction is a draw you must say what team is going through to the next stage) ‘Sure Bet’ ability comes into uses as well but the rule changes slightly, 40 point is increased and minus 20 if you get it wrong.

Final
    80 points for picking the exact score in the final. 40 point won for picking the winner. ‘sure bet’ ability is disabled.

I've seen some good response in LEN's footy place so let the game begin. Everyone can play but I do hope you last through out the tournament, missing once in a while is okay but if you're just here to make your mark on one or two random games then you might as well not bother. There is currently no prize for this competition but they could be one especially made for the winner...

Last edited by Quintus.JC; 06-29-2008 at 21:51. Reason: to update the leader board

Default Re: Euro 2008

Right, I guess I'll get the ball rolling on this one (I'm sorry, really I am) with my predicitions for this Saturday. Of course I'm banking on Ronaldo not breaking his leg between now and then or anything, but let's face it, until we've seen everyone play once it's pretty much guessing anyway (I'm wary about reading too much into pre-tournament friendlies).

OK, so:

Match Day 1
    Final Prediction:

Czech Republic 2-0 Switzerland

Portugal 3-1 Turkey

No big surprises there I guess, of course it could all depend on which team Portugal or the Czechs decide to bring, they both seem to be pretty inconsistent from what I've seen, but overall the Czechs play the nicest football and the Portuguese have the most interesting kit of all the teams in the tournament so I'm banking on them both having good campaigns.

Tarasios Sarantinos Member Byblos's Avatar

PBI, those are good predictions.

Czech Rep 2-0 Switzerland

Portugal 2-1 Turkey I don't think Ronaldo will have a good Euro though. Without him on top form they wont score three against Turkey.
    Author of Rome: Total Realism AAR FINIS

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Ok Grizzys predictions for day 1 as follows

Czech Rep 2-1 Switzerland

Portugal 2-0 Turkey
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

I'd like to join in in this.

Match Day 1:
    Switzerland 0 - 2 Czech Republic
    Portugal 1 - 0 Turkey

Czech will be a bit stale at first without Nedved or Rosicky, but they'll overcome a rather average Swiss side.

The Altintop (sic?) brother's will keep Turkey in the game for long enough, but Ronaldo will set up something to edge it in the last 20 so minutes.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

Match Day 1:
    Switzerland 1 - 1 Czech Republic (whisful thinking i know...)
    Portugal 1 - 0 Turkey

As host nation maybe Switzerland can put things hard for the Czechs...

I bet Scolari will put Portugal playing just enough for a victory...he already said that a victory in the first match is half way to the quarter-finals. Besides, Turkey is a strong side.
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

Match Day 1:
    Switzerland 0 - 2 Czech Republic
    Portugal 1 - 2 Turkey

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Earwigoh!

Switzerland 1 - 3 Czech Republic
    Portugal 2 - 1 Turkey

Let the tournament commence.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

I take it that Mediolanicus and Byblos will be joing us then.

I'm in no hurry to reveal my predictions yet, but I reckon it will be a tight game between the Czechs and Swiss, playing the opening game in front of home crowd could be a boost for the Swiss, although you'd obviously fancy the Czechs to out-class their opponents... The Swiss are a stubborn side with a fine defence record.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus.J.Cicero
    The Swiss are a stubborn side with a fine defence record.
    Quite an enigma if you consider their central defensive options.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Switzerland 0 - 1 Czech Republic

Turkey 1 - 1 Portugal

Switzerland playing at home etc. so I think will work hard, and have a decent enough defence, but I think they might run out of steam in 2nd half...

Turkey i think can score against Portugal, who could get off to a slow start with so many players arriving after long domestic seasons etc. (i think both will go through Group stages though)

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

I'm in also

Sw 0 - CzR 1

Turkey 1 - Portugal 2
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Thumbs up Re : Euro 2008

A bit early yet, but might as well get my predictions in already. Come Saturday evening, you will all recognise Louis as your new football knowledge overlord.

Czech Rep. - Suisse 1-1
    Turkey - Portugal 0-1
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ah, this brings back memories of 2006, when I was on vacation in Europe whilst the world cup was on. By coincidence, when my group was in Luzerne, Switzerland, it just so happened that the Swiss managed to win a game. I wanna say it was against Togo, but regardless, the aftermath around the city was, shall we say, breathtaking.

Btw, I know next to nothing about this, on account of soccer/footy boring me to death, so no predictions from me.
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 06-03-2008 at 19:55.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Bloody Infantry
    but overall the Czechs play the nicest football and the Portuguese have the most interesting kit of all the teams in the tournament so I'm banking on them both having good campaigns.
    Not sure I agree with either of those.

But, if I may ask, how does having an interesting kit set a team up to have a good campaign? I could play with a gold-threaded shirt and I don't think it'd improve my abilities.

As for my predictions, I'll make them later in the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    But, if I may ask, how does having an interesting kit set a team up to have a good campaign? I could play with a gold-threaded shirt and I don't think it'd improve my abilities.
    I think there was some research done that 'found' teams with red kits had an advantage, similarly goalkeepers in orange (according to chelsea)

I think an interesting kit helps, if only because you pick up neutral fans (i guess)

I think Croatia have the best kit. I don't see anything special about Portugal's. But yes, I heard about those studies.

Orange is supposed to evoke hostility, that might explain that famously dirty match between Holland and Portugal.

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

In!

Switzerland 0-2 Czech Republic

The Czechs are a strong team and I don't see them slipping up here. The Swiss are as a rule strong at the back (somehow) but I don't see them scoring (...ever), and the Czechs will have too much quality.

Turkey 1-2 Portugal

I think that Turkey will surprise a few people and come close to an upset here. I don't see Ronaldo dominating this tournament, and Portugal will have to rely on other (admittedly quality) players.
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    Not sure I agree with either of those.

As for my predictions, I'll make them later in the week.
    It wouldn't make you any better at football, but it would make your games a bit more interesting to watch. Therefore I want teams with good kits to go far, rather than the usual tedious red/white/blue. Since I don't really care who wins it seems as good a criteria as any to choose.

And yes, Netherlands and Croatia also have good kits. Expect me to make optimistic predictions for their games as well

As for the Czechs, note I said "nicest", not "best" football. Netherlands also play very nice football, but I think they may struggle to show it in their group.

I think there was some research done that 'found' teams with red kits had an advantage, similarly goalkeepers in orange (according to chelsea)
    Indeed, I believe it was partly based upon the fact that the Premiership has been so heavily dominated by Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal, who all play in red. Apparently this pattern is repeated in other leagues too.

Not sure this applies to international football though. How would it explain Brazil?

In fact, I'm struggling to think of a really top-class international side who play in red.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

In fact, I'm struggling to think of a really top-class international side who play in red.

all i can think of is England 66, portugal got to the final of the last euro's in red, ummm.... Denmark wear red for thier 92 success ?

the best international sides are yellow and blue, i would say with clubs sides success breeds success though so a little helping hand from a red kit can make a difference over years and years, whereas a slight improvment internationally because of a kit can't add up over the years only give a slight improvment on the day (i suppose it could help slightly over the years, but previous success to look up to isn't as valuable as previous success to look up to and spend on players)
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

Maybe a red kit can add a little help together with many other factors. In my point of view the main diference is the way each team face each game, the way each team respect the opponents. The mental factor is the most important.
    In fact i think today team shirts are made mostly because of merchandising concerns rather than club traditionaly colors, etc.
    Brazil, Germany or Italy don't need a red shirt to win the WC/Euro, and they win a lot.
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

I think Grizzly's right about why a red shirt helps in club football but not international; if a red shirt gives you an edge in a game, no matter how slight, then there will be a gradual tendency for red teams to do slightly better than others. In turn this will let them make slightly more money, which will allow them to do better still, which will continue until the red teams dominate.

Whereas in international football past form is less important (the fans are pretty much a captive market and money is not relevant to the quality of players available), so the very slight advantage of a red shirt gets overwhelmed by all the other factors that are more important in the short term.

Match Day 1.
    Switzerland v Czech Republic
    Portugal v Turkey

Match day 2.
    Austria v Croatia
    Germany v Poland

Match Day 3.
    Romania v France
    Netherlands v Italy

Match Day 4.
    Spain v Russia
    Greece v Sweden

I think I'll have all of them in one go, but not today... Looks like no one sees an upset on the opening day. Switzerland have a good defence infront of home crowd, and Portugal are inconsistant as proven in the opening day of the previous European championship against another Balkan side.

Well, I took a guess at Turkey beating Portugal.

I think I'm going to put my prognostics up for the match day 2-4 too before friday because it could be I won't be able to get on my pc for the weekend + Monday.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Switzerland - Czech Republic 0 - 1

Turkey - Portugal 0 - 2

Who dares wins, eh.

Matchday 1 Predictions

Switzerland 2-1 Czech Republic (1800)

[Despite gut feelings, and even with their defence centred around Senderos, the
    Swiss can pull it together. From watching our loss to the Czechs last week, I'd
    still say they look relatively weak and lack creativity. If Switzerland find any of
    their spirit, which they should do in the opening game of a home tournament,
    they can win. Honest.]

Portugal 2-2 Turkey (2045)

[Depends which Turkey turns up tactically, I think. They are weak at the back
    and Portugal should be setup to exploit that perfectly, but I still feel Portugal
    might just collectively bottle it.]
    it's the **** that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

Czech Rep. 0 - 1 Switzerland

One cannot forget the Korea effect...

Turkey 1 - 2 Portugal

I think Portugal will struggle to pull together as a team, especially the back line, until later in the tournament. But they've too much going forward to stop.
    Last edited by Tamur; 06-05-2008 at 21:00.
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

1000 post member club Member Quid's Avatar

Switzerland - Czech Republic 2 - 1
    Portugal - Turkey 1 - 1

There is too much pressure on the Swiss to play well in the first game as for them to cock it up.

It will depend on whether Müller will be able to play the match as he just came back from injury. In fact, there are a number of players that have had injury problems throughout the season (Frei, Barnetta, Müller, Von Lanthen etc).

Barnetta still isn't sure to play as is Müller... we will see.

Quid
    ...for it is revenge I seek...

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    Juleus Ceasar, Shakespear

Time for me to make my predictions:

Switzerland 0 - 1 Czech Republic
    Turkey 1 - 3 Portugal

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Just to clarify Cicero, do you want all our R1 predictions before the first game?
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Page 1 of 33 1234511 ... LastLast