Thread: Diamonds

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Diamonds

Anybody on here a jeweler?
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Diamonds

If you are planning on getting engaged...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Don't do it! Run away, run away!
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Despite how much I hate her... My step mom is a jewler. Why?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Uncle is. If you're looking to get a diamond ring, the only advice I ever picked up was that it was a lot cheaper to get the rock first, and then pay to have it set.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Senior Member Senior Member Kurando's Avatar

Red face Re: Diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    If you are planning on getting engaged...
    Another good man, lost to the enemy...
    Modern civilization is a vast conspiracy against silence

Here is the diamond I'm probably going to settle on, in a white gold setting with 4 tiered baguette side stones with similar color and clarity (tcw 3/8). The Carat, Table, Color and Clarity, Girdle, Culet and Flourescence are exactly what I was looking for.

Although the "very good" polish and symetry grades would probably only get a "good-very good" GIA rating, the determination that it is "premium cut" is helpful. The natural diamond type is IaAB, which I don't really care about because I'm not buying for investment and it can't be determined under any loop I've ever seen.

I know that the depth is just a bit too deep and that the cert is EGL, but I'm willing to make the compromise in the name of price. I was originally looking at GIA H color VS-2 stones and they were about $300-$400 more, so I will probably get a very similar stone.

Total price with setting I'm looking at is $5569, maybe the company I'm looking at will cut me a $100 break. Determining whether I should insure it as scheduled property on its own with State Farm for around $75 per year or Allstate (where I work) as scheduled property on a renters policy for a total of $169 per year (including coverage for my other stuff and liability) which would come with a multi-policy discount of 4% for my auto which would save me about $40 per year.

I think I'm just about over the finish line. I'll let everybody know when the thing is in my hands, my bank account closes and sweat starts pouring down my forehead.

Certificate: EGL
    Shape: Round
    Cut: Premium
    Carat: 1.03
    Color: G
    Clarity: VS1

Measurements: 6.49-6.45-4
    Depth Percentage: 61.8 %
    Table Percentage: 59 %
    Girdle: M
    Culet: None (Pointed)
    Polish: Very Good
    Symmetry: Very Good
    Fluorescence: None (Inert)
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-23-2009 at 15:02.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Here is the diamond I'm probably going to settle on, in a white gold setting with 4 tiered baguette side stones with similar color and clarity (tcw 3/8). The Carat, Table, Color and Clarity, Girdle, Culet and Flourescence are exactly what I was looking for.

I know that the depth is just a bit too deep and that the cert is EGL, but I'm willing to make the compromise in the name of price. Also, the "very good" polish and symetry grades would probably a good-very good GIA rating, but the determination that it is "premium cut" is helpful. The natural diamond type is IaAB, which I don't really care about because I'm not buying for investment and it can't be determined under any loop I've ever seen.

I was originally looking at GIA H color VS-2 stones and they were about $300-$400 more, so I will probably get a very similar stone. Total price with setting I'm looking at is $5569. I think I'm just about over the finish line.

Certificate: EGL
    Shape: Round
    Cut: Premium
    Carat: 1.03
    Color: G
    Clarity: VS1

Measurements: 6.49-6.45-4
    Depth Percentage: 61.8 %
    Table Percentage: 59 %
    Girdle: M
    Culet: None (Pointed)
    Polish: Very Good
    Symmetry: Very Good
    Fluorescence: None (Inert)
    There's nothing wrong with an EGL certification. Diamonds are worthless on resale, so all that you should care about is how it looks.

If you can get to NYC, I have a friend who is a diamond wholesaler. For about the same price as you just listed there, he got me a ring with a total carat weight of a little over 2, with the main stone at 1.4 carats. That said, what you just listed isn't a bad price at all, and far better than I would normally expect for retail. This economy is probably pretty good for buying jewelry. Don't forget to negotiate... the jewelry business is always open to negotiations on price.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    There's nothing wrong with an EGL certification. Diamonds are worthless on resale, so all that you should care about is how it looks.

If you can get to NYC, I have a friend who is a diamond wholesaler. For about the same price as you just listed there, he got me a ring with a total carat weight of a little over 2, with the main stone at 1.4 carats. That said, what you just listed isn't a bad price at all, and far better than I would normally expect for retail. This economy is probably pretty good for buying jewelry. Don't forget to negotiate... the jewelry business is always open to negotiations on price.
    Online! From Union Diamond. Any tips on that? BBB accredits them with an A+ and they are a US company with local roots in Georgia. Blue Nile was a bit higher. I just don't trust local jewelers.

What kind of friend? NYC is supposed to be the worst place in the world to buy a diamond, but I've heard of people who know people getting a deal. If I lower the color to EGL H or I and the clarity to SI1-I I could get a much bigger stone, but then you can see lots of carbon and feathering without a loop. Since you are a seasoned veteran I'm all ears.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 12-23-2009 at 15:15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Online! From Union Diamond. Any tips on that? BBB accredits them with an A+ and they are a US company with local roots in Georgia. Blue Nile was a bit higher.
    I know absolutely nothing about online companies, sorry.

What kind of friend?
    Married one of my friends from high school. He's exactly what a NYC diamond wholesaler should be: a Jew working on West 47th. Or at least that's where he worked when he made up my wife's engagement ring, he now runs his own business and I have no idea where the office is. This is his current website.

Regardless of who you get it from, let me emphasize again that all that matters is how it looks. Even if you get a stupendously awesome wholesale price, diamonds aren't an investment. They're not rare and will never fetch more money on resale than you paid for them. VS/VVS is perfectly fine, and I'd actively avoid going for IF and F. If you can't see whatever flaws are present in the stone, that's all that matters.

NYC is supposed to be the worst place in the world to buy a diamond, but I've heard of people who know people getting a deal.
    For retail, I wouldn't be surprised. The retail jewelry business in general is a racket, no matter where you go. Stones are never worth remotely close to what you pay for them. They convince people to buy "investment grade" jewelry, which simply doesn't exist (at least, not for diamonds... some gemstones or exceptionally highly crafted pieces can appreciate in value). Like I said, I paid close to the price you're quoting for my wife's engagement ring and the main stone in that ring, alone, was appraised at $14k+; that's retail replacement value. When I'm told it would cost me $14k to replace the main stone in a ring I paid $5500 for total, something fishy is going on in the retail business.

I'd have to go home and check the papers on the main stone for the color, but I know it's VVS1 or VS1 and wherever the flaws are, I sure can't find them.

If I lower the color to EGL H or I and the clarity to SI1-I I could get a much bigger stone, but then you can see lots of carbon and feathering without a loop. Since you are a seasoned veteran I'm all ears.
    If you can see the flaws easily, don't go for it. A clear ring with a few minor occlusions won't be a big deal, but I should be avoided except for side-stones. SI1 could theoretically be ok, but I wouldn't buy it without seeing it for yourself. It's possible the flaw could be on the underside where no one would really see it, but it's also possible it could be on the main facet and easily visible. Personally, I would be reluctant to buy a stone I had not seen in person without some kind of contractual provision allowing me to return it if I was not happy on inspection.
    Last edited by TinCow; 12-23-2009 at 15:31.

I know absolutely nothing about online companies, sorry.

Married one of my friends from high school. He's exactly what a NYC diamond wholesaler should be: a Jew working on West 47th. Or at least that's where he worked when he made up my wife's engagement ring, he now runs his own business and I have no idea where the office is. This is his current website.

Regardless of who you get it from, let me emphasize again that all that matters is how it looks. Even if you get a stupendously awesome wholesale price, diamonds aren't an investment. They're not rare and will never fetch more money on resale than you paid for them. VS/VVS is perfectly fine, and I'd actively avoid going for IF and F. If you can't see whatever flaws are present in the stone, that's all that matters.

Exactly. I know that they are no investment, that's why I'm not going crazy. The setup I've found is very nice and bigger than the rings our friends have gotten so far. I'm lucky to have met a long island Irish/German girl who was psyched about the the sterling silver claddagh ring I bought her in Cork. She hardly wears anything else.

If I were marrying a Jewish or Italian girl from long island, I'd get a yellow gold 3 carat pave with a marble water fountain on the top...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The setup I've found is very nice and bigger than the rings our friends have gotten so far.
    Carat weight and visual size don't always go hand in hand. Due to the nature of the setting, you often don't see much more than the face of the stone, so a deep diamond isn't going to look as large as a shallow diamond. Since the look is all that's important, it can sometimes be better to go for a smaller, shallower stone, as it will look larger than a deeper stone that has a heavier weight. My wife's stone is about 1.35 carats, but most people think it's 2+ due to the size of the face and shallow depth. That said, deeper diamonds can also have better reflective qualities, which gives them more impressive 'sparkle' when they're worn.

It's hard to give any specific advice on a particular stone without physically seeing it though. When I bought mine, I went to my friend's office and he poured about 20-25 stones out on a mat for me, and I sat there and sifted through them looking for the one I liked the best. I don't feel like I know enough to be able to tell you whether the stats you quoted indicate it's a good stone.

I bought it. I'll bring it in to an appraiser as soon as it comes, probably monday. The thing is - Diamonds all look the same for the most part. I wanted one that even looked nice under a 10x loop.

Total price = $5569

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Congrats! If that's an engagement ring, then you've now completed the easy part.

Congrats! If that's an engagement ring, then you've now completed the easy part.

I got it!. It looks amazing, She'll love it.

I totally blew it on the size, though. I ordered a 7.5 when when she is probably a 5.5 or 6. What the hell.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I bought it. I'll bring it in to an appraiser as soon as it comes, probably monday. The thing is - Diamonds all look the same for the most part. I wanted one that even looked nice under a 10x loop.

Total price = $5569
    I dare her to refuse you. I would go nuts honestly if I bought such a diamond and then she would say "no.".

Congratulations!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    I dare her to refuse you. I would go nuts honestly if I bought such a diamond and then she would say "no.".

Congratulations!
    Throwing half a ten thousand dollars at a pragmatically worthless thing and then having her say no would instantly desintegrate me.
    BLARGH!

I totally blew it on the size, though. I ordered a 7.5 when when she is probably a 5.5 or 6. What the hell.
    Hmm, that's a pretty big size difference. On the positive side, at least you overestimated. Rings can't easily be expanded in size beyond about half, but I think they can be made smaller relatively easily. Go to a LOCAL jewelry store for adjustments, not a chain. Chain stores will rip you off, while your local single-location store is generally so strapped for cash that you'll get a good deal.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Good luck, TuffStuffMcGruff

Peasant Phill recently opened a thread in the Frontroom on how to ask "the question", in case you need some ideas.

Don't worry about the ring being too big; it's usually not too difficult to make it smaller.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

But it was on sale!! Member Scienter's Avatar

I got it!. It looks amazing, She'll love it.

Congrats!

Getting a ring sized to be smaller is super easy, no worries!
    Hungry? Check out my cooking blog!
    http://thekitchenfrog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post

Congratulations!
    First rule my dad taught me about relationships: never propose to a woman unless you are sure, without a shadow of a doubt that she'll say yes.

Oh and congrats on buying the ring. (Have you actually proposed yet?)
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Congratulations on your engagement-to-be, TSM. We will expect updates. Frequent, detailed updates.

And I'm engaged...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ