Thread: EB Innacurate in its depiction of Hastati and Gaesatae?

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Default EB Innacurate in its depiction of Hastati and Gaesatae?

Should the Hastati and Gaesatae not be depicted wielding spears instead of swords as their name suggests (Hasta-Latin for Spear, Gaesum-Celtic for spear)?

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Default Re: EB Innacurate in its depiction of Hastati and Gaesatae?

Not really. Not sure about the Gaestate, but at least for hastati, despite their name, they have been using sword an javelin at least by 300-ish BC. Not sure whether they had actually used spears before or not.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Camilian Hastati have spears I think...
    While Gaesatae I think the name is referred to the throwing ones...
    They had quite a social status no? So most likely they used swords...

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arjos View Post
    Camilian Hastati have spears I think...
    You're thinking of Camillian principes. Camillian hastati are swordsmen.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

I do indeed think Gaesatae are named after their throwing spear, since their unit description says so.
    "They fight with longswords, but are named for their incredible skill with javelins" (from the description).

The Hastati i do not know
    "It is better to die as a roman than to live as a barbarian"
    "He who gives everything for Rome, can still give his life"
    "Through the enslaving, expelling, occupying or bribing of our enemies. We prevail."
    (Stolen blatantly from the "Dawn of war" Games!)

Camilian Princeps have spears(tho anti inf-spears) hastati have swords.

wikipedia sais the hastas were replaced during the polybian reforms but the picture of Imperial legionaries on the site did not really make the article more believeable.

afaik Gaesatae reffers(not translates) to them beeing "spears for hire" spears used as general term for weapons like with celtogermanic infantry : Foreign Spears(tho they actually have spears, if they could afford it they'd have swords but would be called Foreign Spears nontheless.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=303380 here; this will answer your first question :)

About the Gaesatae, well, i dunno. But i guess spear and javelin can be easily used the same way
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

A slightly more detailed version of the post anubis88 liked to:

To be frank, it's not possible to be sure what hastati of the late Camillan period used as a primary weapon, but the the balance of the evidence (such as it is) favors a sword.

In the Servian army, the third class (precursors of the hastati) were armed with a spear, which is where the word "hastati" probably originated. In the Polybian period, the hastati used a sword as their primary weapon, so the issue is when this change occurred.

Three pieces of evidence in the ancient sources tend to indicate that in the first fifty years of the EB time period, the hastati used a sword as their primary weapon. First, Plutarch (Life of Pyrrhus, 21.6) describes Roman troops at Asculum engaging Macedonian spearmen with swords. Second, Dionysios of Halikarnassos (20.11, dealing with the Pyrrhic War) explicitly states that principes were spearmen, indicating that the hastati were Plutarch's swordsmen. Finally, Polybios 2.33 describes a battle with the gauls in 223 BC (which we contend belongs to the Camillan period) at which the triarii passed the foremost ranks of the hastati their spears. This was evidently intended to prevent the gauls from engaging the hastati in close combat until their initial onslaught had dissipated, and also indicates that the hastati were swordsmen.

This admittedly sparse evidence allows other interpretations, but we contend that the simplest is that late Camillan hastati used a sword as their primary weapon.
    Last edited by Atilius; 02-01-2011 at 16:29.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Although it is a bit strange from one point of view - the richer a Roman citizen was, the more he could spend on his panoply.

Hastati were presumably poorer than Principes. But a sword is a more expensive weapon than a spear. For that reason, it would seem to make more sense if the Camillan Principes were the swordsmen, rather than the Hastati.

However, tradition may have influenced the choice. The older (and richer) a Roman citizen was, the less accommodating he may have become to military reform. In the Servian period, the older and richer citizens were spear-armed hoplites. Maybe it was easier to persuade a young Hastati to give up his spear and retrain as a swordsman than it was an older, more experienced Principe? While the Triarii, the oldest men in the legion and the ones that kept the hoplite-style armour longest, also kept the spear longer than either the Hastati or Principes.

Weren't the Hastati younger than the Principes, not poorer? Or am i confused here a bit? Also, the Hastati would be pretty good on money too... Remember these were still Romans making a nice living (not like the poorer who were the accensi and velites and such)

Naked fanatic Member Karel de Stoute's Avatar

In the camillian army, the men were divided in groups based on wealth, like that the hastati units consisted of poorer citizens,
    after the polybian reform, the men were divided in age groups and hastati became the younger soldiers.
    Last edited by Karel de Stoute; 02-01-2011 at 20:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    Hastati were presumably poorer than Principes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karel de Stoute View Post
    In the camillian army, the men were divided in groups based on wealth, like that the hastati units consisted of poorer citizens...
    I know of no support for this assertion in the sources. Our only real description of the organization and equipment of the Camillan army comes from Livy (8.8), and he clearly distinguishes the hastati (youths in the first bloom of manhood just old enough for service), principes (men in the full vigour of life), and triarii (veterans of proved courage) by age or experience, not wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    But a sword is a more expensive weapon than a spear.
    However, in both descriptions of the Servian army (Livy 1.42-3 and Dion. Hal. 4.16), the first, second, third, and fourth classes (roughly equivalent to the triarii, principes, hastati, and rorarii) are armed with spear and sword. It may well have been that the weapons of the poorer classes were of inferior quality, but they apparently carried swords of some sort.
    The truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. - Mark Twain

Ha, Atilius backed me up!

I'm gonna celebrate today for clearly winning with my argument

Naked fanatic Member Karel de Stoute's Avatar

well, maybe i'm wrong about the camillian army but i'm sure that at first the roman army was organised in wealth classes by servius tullius. (livy 1.43)
    Last edited by Karel de Stoute; 02-02-2011 at 00:11.

Of course, Livy was writing some 130 or so years after Polybius. Where did he get his source material on earlier military organisation from?
    Plutarch and Dionysius are both later still.

As it is, I rather suspect that both spears and swords were present in both the historical hastati and Gaesatai formations. Did not the later 'sword-based' legionaries use pilae as spears when necessary? And the Gaesatae were simply Gallic mercenaries from what I make of the sources (Polybius again); there is no reason for there not to have been several types of weapon in their repertoire.
    However, the game engine prohibits the use of more than two weapons per unit. So herein lies your dilemma. As it is, I would personally support the use of spears by the Hastati as the first (less privileged if not actually poorer) rank and swords by the principes. But the EB team decided to follow Dionysus in making them spearmen. Since he was so much later, the persistence of spearmen when all legionaries carry swords might have the ring of an older source.

You could equally argue that young hastati are less familiar with battle and more inclined to blindly follow 'the glorious ways of their forefathers' who were spearmen, while the older principes aren't quite as naive and know the value of a good sword in close combat.

I was told that the Romans that fought against other city-states 4th BCE and before were more similar to Greeks in their military ways. So it's understandable to have 3rd BCE Hastati using swords, as that's EB's timeframe. If it covered pre-classical Rome, we might have seen a different manifestation.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Well i'm satisfied with the evidence presented in this thread to conclude there are in fact accuracte depictions.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius