Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

Default Re: Anybody enjoying Game of Thrones? (HBO TV series)

I didn't think it was underwhelming at all. The past two seasons started out slow and get intense by the fifth episodes.

really enjoyed season one, but with season two found myself watching more to see how much and what has changed from the books. they're very good show, and if taken without having read the books, would be fantastic. just can't bring myself to ignore the changes and end up being too distracted to enjoy them as much as should. a situation that will only worsen with each additional season.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Now that last episode, *that* was good TV.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Agreed ^^

I'm really liking the new actors aswell, Olenna was awesome.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rajpoot View Post
    It's not going to be anywhere close to the reaction when Sean lost his bean. Robb's story arc has never been as much in focus as that of the other Starks. In fact had it not been for Oona Chaplin it would've been the most boring part of the show.
    I disagree, because

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

it's not just Robb getting whacked, it's his entire army and his mother. So far, TV-only viewers have only seen solo-deaths of main characters. A wholesale massacre of one of the dominant factions of the entire series will blow their minds. Not to mention the only remaining faction in Westeros that the audience is largely sympathetic towards.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    I disagree, because....
    Unfortunately, the scenes with Robb have been terribly boring though, even with Oona Chaplin, but I do agree....
    With what you said about the downfall of one of the most sympathetic factions. Game of Thrones does that that whole vibe about it, it destroys factions and makes others look better, and creates new ones. Before we know it, we will be supporting the King from Beyond the Wall.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I haven't watched since series 2, as tv generally bores me, but I don't quite get this Oona Chapman character. Has the tv series totally done away with Tywin's role in Robb getting married? I guess that was just inferred in the books, rather than stated outright, but anything that takes away from the awesome of Tywin is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by townhughthom View Post
    I haven't watched since series 2, as tv generally bores me, but I don't quite get this Oona Chapman character. Has the tv series totally done away with Tywin's role in Robb getting married? I guess that was just inferred in the books, rather than stated outright, but anything that takes away from the awesome of Tywin is bad.

Chaplin, the hot granddaughter of Charlie Chaplin.
    I'm pretty sure that even in the show Tywin Lannister will get due credit for the Red Wedding. That said they do seem have done away with the Westerlings all together, which is a pity because they've been mentioned even in A Dance with the Dragons. However considering that the TV series will generally follow the story of the books, we can probably infer that they won't have a big part to play in the future (in the books I mean).

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

I'm not talking about the Red Wedding, I mean that through her mother Tywin was behind Jeyne marrying Robb. Perhaps I just read more into it than was really there, but I'm pretty sure something in a later book strongly implied Tywin was behind the whole thing, to turn the Freys against Robb.

I'm not talking about the Red Wedding, I mean that through her mother Tywin was behind Jeyne marrying Robb. Perhaps I just read more into it than was really there, but I'm pretty sure something in a later book strongly implied Tywin was behind the whole thing, to turn the Freys against Robb.
    It was never my impression that that marriage was engineered by anyone other than Jeyne and Robb. If there were later implications of Tywin having a hand in it, I completely missed them.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was never my impression that that marriage was engineered by anyone other than Jeyne and Robb. If there were later implications of Tywin having a hand in it, I completely missed them.
    Tywin used the opportunity. Jeyne's mother was a strong Lannister supporter and wrote to him upon it, she was against the union for reasons, and Tywin encouraged her to let them go through with it, offering coin, and told her to give her daughter moonbrew, to make sure there was no reproduction. Jeyne mentions her mother giving her a brew to help in fertility (it was the opposite).

So Jeyne's mother played a big part in promoting the relationship and marriage, and making sure no child was born.
    Last edited by Beskar; 04-11-2013 at 18:40.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Do people notice that even Shae seems to play a larger (and a less 'evil' role) in the show.

Makes me feel she won't end up betraying Tyrion like the books, but will be killed on Tywin's orders. She's probably going to provide Tyrion the motivation Tysha provides in the books.

Do people notice that even Shae seems to play a larger (and a less 'evil' role) in the show.

Makes me feel she won't end up betraying Tyrion like the books, but will be killed on Tywin's orders. She's probably going to provide Tyrion the motivation Tysha provides in the books.
    I don't think that's how it's going to go at all. I think

It will stick largely to the book, in part because the betrayal will be even more of a dagger to the heart for viewers. She'll testify against him at his trial, and then she'll end up in bed with Tywin and share the same fate. That scene will also be the end of Season 4.

Also the truth about Tysha is something that will make the viewers even more sympathetic toward Tyrion.

I don't think that's how it's going to go at all. I think

It will stick largely to the book, in part because the betrayal will be even more of a dagger to the heart for viewers. She'll testify against him at his trial, and then she'll end up in bed with Tywin and share the same fate. That scene will also be the end of Season 4.
    But she seems so concerned about Sansa. Something which is quite a deviation from the book, wherein if I remember rightly, she actually tells Tyrion that she thinks Sansa is stupid and dull. (Or something to this effect)

Also the truth about Tysha is something that will make the viewers even more sympathetic toward Tyrion.
    I can wager a lot on the fact that Tysha's story will never be introduced separately now. They've had plenty of Tyrion-Tywin scenes, where they talk about Tyrion's hobbies and activities, the most recent one in the second episode of this season. They can't just have Jamie bring it up out of nowhere without any preamble, or it'll be too confusing. So yeah. I still think Shae is going to be a more sympathetic character in the show.

That said I would've liked had they stuck to the book's version.
    Revealing the hypocrisy of Tywin Lannister was an awesome move. I loved that chapter, despite all the

This is why I don't watch tv.

This is why I don't watch tv.
    Hey hey hey now. Don't blame TV. I'm quite capable to wasting my time discussing other stuff to no end. Video games for instance.

But she seems so concerned about Sansa. Something which is quite a deviation from the book, wherein if I remember rightly, she actually tells Tyrion that she thinks Sansa is stupid and dull. (Or something to this effect)
    That's true, but the fact is that they chose to make Shae a main character in the show, almost certainly to allow us to see Tyrion's private side. In the books that is largely accomplished with his internal monologues, which don't adapt well to television. So, we get more Shae to allow us a better look at Tyrion. As a result, there also needs to be some reason for Shae to be there. Putting her in her book role (the kitchen) would have been largely pointless and contributed nothing to the show. By making her Sansa's maid, she actually starts fulfilling a needed role in multiple areas. It's efficient and it works.

At the same time, that doesn't change who Shae is. She's still just a prostitute who's mainly concerned with her own state of affairs. The show has made her a bit deeper and more 'human' but that was natural because she's getting a lot more involving in the show than she got in the book. The fact remains that

Tyrion is still going to go on trial, and Shae is going to have to make a choice. That choice will be whether to support a man who is on trial for the murder of the King (his own nephew). That man's own family wants to see him dead, and they're ruling the kingdom. While Shae might like Tyrion, I don't think it's going to be too difficult to demonstrate why she chooses to testify against him. Her future with him was essentially over at that point anyway, and she's got to look out for number one. After that, there's no reason to change anything about the rest of her storyline.

It's also one of the most dramatic moments in the entire book series. I really can't see them doing anything that would alter it, particularly since it gives HBO what they love most: tits and violence.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I can wager a lot on the fact that Tysha's story will never be introduced separately now. They've had plenty of Tyrion-Tywin scenes, where they talk about Tyrion's hobbies and activities, the most recent one in the second episode of this season. They can't just have Jamie bring it up out of nowhere without any preamble, or it'll be too confusing.
    The Tysha story was told in season 1. The drinking game scene with Tyrion, Bronn, and Shae. I'm guessing the Tyrion-Tywin-Shae storyline is going to pan out just like the books.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The theory is that the show will tell the story that it was engineered even though the books don't have that. It makes the RW into more of a betrayal, and cements Tywin as one of the Big Bads. Simpler, more emotional, than the books - sells better on TV.

It would be the one TV change that I'd be really disappointed in, because I'm still a Stark partisan and need Jeyne to be pregnant with Robb's son so the North can rally around him. As ridiculously unlikely an counter to the themes of the book that is...

The third episode has been by far the best one this season, even up to the grisly last scene. Tyrion bits were awesome as always, specially where he places his chair. And we learn of Pod's hidden talent
    Somethings I did not get;
    Firstly Theon's story. Who's got him? Where's Ramsey Bolton? Second, where's Melisandre going? Also IMO Stannis appears a little too crazed.

Other than that, I really wish they start splitting characters and don't try to focus on so many story arcs at the same time. Reintroducing everyone together was OK, but now they should really start splitting characters by episodes. I think it'll be better if you see a character for only a few episodes but at greater length, rather than seeing them every episode for 3 minutes.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

The third episode has been by far the best one this season, even up to the grisly last scene. Tyrion bits were awesome as always, specially where he places his chair. And we learn of Pod's hidden talent
    Somethings I did not get;
    Firstly Theon's story. Who's got him? Where's Ramsey Bolton? Second, where's Melisandre going? Also IMO Stannis appears a little too crazed.

Other than that, I really wish they start splitting characters and don't try to focus on so many story arcs at the same time. Reintroducing everyone together was OK, but now they should really start splitting characters by episodes. I think it'll be better if you see a character for only a few episodes but at greater length, rather than seeing them every episode for 3 minutes.
    ye this episode seems to be deviating by quite alot :S i think the one who killed all the men who tried to rape theon was ramsey, seeing as the man who he killed called him bastard. i think they found theons path in the books too cruel so theyll change it. Also is the one who cut of jaimes hand vargo hoat? because he seemed far to northerer to me.

We do not sow.

Yes, I also think the guy who freed/saved Theon was Ramsey. The only thing they can do with Theon for both this season and next season is have Ramsey torture/mess with him to a severe degree, so they need to stretch that out as much as possible. I'm positive that they're just showing Ramsey 'befriending' Theon and then turning on him just for laughs and then to break him further. It's not that much of a deviation since Ramsey did basically do just that, but in Book 2. Since they completely skipped that plotline in Season 2, it's fair for them to put a bit of it into Season 3/4.

Re: Vargo Hoat, I think they've completely written out all of the Brave Companions and are substituting Bolton and his men for them. While I liked Hoat, I'm okay with that change. There are so many characters already that the show has difficulty keeping track of them all. Adding yet another random mercenary company just after they finally introduced the Brotherhood would have had a lot of viewers scratching their heads. Jamie still saved Brienne from getting raped and he still lost his hand. So, the show didn't skip any of the necessary plot points. It doesn't really matter who does that stuff, as long as it's done. Given the prominence of the Bear song, I expect we'll also get the bear pit fight as well, so it's all looking good for that story to me.

Yup Brave Companions have been written out. I linked an article to that on the last page.
    As for the bear fight;
    It's going to be there. There's a second long bit in one of the trailers where in Brienne appears to be in rags fighting something in a pit

I think I'm almost as lost as someone who's never read the books because of the aggregate deviations from the books (with which individually I've had no real issues).

Second, where's Melisandre going?
    She spoke of king's blood, so probably went to find Edric or some other bastard. Maybe the show will make up a story with Gendry?

As for the other changes, I was ok with them. Books are always available ^^

There are so many characters already that the show has difficulty keeping track of them all.
    Seems to be the case...

Such a shame not hearing "Kingthlayer!" though :D

Agreed, I'm kinda tired of how protracted Dany's story is...
    Like in season 2, where it took the whole season for something like 2 chapters. But I guess they have too keep everyone in, to please the respective fans and don't lose audience...
    Last edited by Arjos; 04-16-2013 at 07:41.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

shes going to get edric, i think in the books edric was on dragonstone already but the probably skipped that last season. i thought it was davos who redeemed himself and saved edric from getting burned.

We do not sow.

Ofc that's the "real" story :P

I doubt they are going to introduce Edric and all his story, just for a 5 mins scene...
    Probably will pick up a random bastard, who survived Cersei's assassinations (still if this is the case, having her departure scene feels unnecessary to me, could've just get on with the main scene with Davos)...
    That's why I think they might end up mixing the story with Gendry. It will get Arya & Co, near the sea to get the storyline of the Hound and the voyage to Braavos...

We'll just have to watch ^^

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

It's going to be a shame when Tyrion, Bronn, and Pod get split up. Great chemistry, especially Tyrion and Bronn, like an old married couple. I bet the actors are having a blast together.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Found the summary for episode number 8 (The Bear and the Maiden Fair);
    It appears Mel will meet Gendry;
    Dany exchanges gifts with a slave lord outside of Yunkai. As Sansa frets about her prospects, Shae chafes at Tyrion's new situation. Tywin counsels the king, and Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry. Brienne faces a formidable foe in Harrenhal.

Also found out that the title for the next episode is And Now His Watch is Ended;
    Considering where the story is, I'm guessing this means next episode is the last we'll see of Jeor Monmont. And somehow despite all the deaths the show has seen up till now, after Ned Stark, this'll be the most saddening one. Specially since the awesomeness of the Old Bear has only risen after his dialogue in episode number 2.
    Tarly, I forbid you to die!

Reminded me of Bane in TDKR.
    Last edited by rajpoot; 04-16-2013 at 15:42.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast