Thread: A language option

Default A language option

I know the developers for EB2 are aiming for realism in terms of faction names, names of units, etc... but could you guys have an option to have the unit names in English instead of the native names? I remember in the first EB it was like reading a different language and I wished there was an option to have names in English.

Am I making any sense?

EDIT: Also when does this mod come out? I rarely visit this site and I havent checked this forum in close to a year.
    Last edited by Hybr1d; 02-01-2012 at 02:39.

Default Re: A language option

The unit names in EB1 were in both English and their respective native languages. The English names are in brackets after the native ones. For example, a Makedonian general's bodyguard would have its name displayed as 'Somatophylakes Strategou (Hellenic Bodyguard Cavalry)'.
    Inactive Account- Will not respond to private messages or mentions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
    The unit names in EB1 were in both English and their respective native languages. The English names are in brackets after the native ones. For example, a Makedonian general's bodyguard would have its name displayed as 'Somatophylakes Strategou (Hellenic Bodyguard Cavalry)'.
    I know that, I just want the English names instead of the native.. atleast have an option to turn the native names off.

Have you checked the unofficial modding section? I believe this has been asked already some time ago, dunno how it ended.

Personally I don't see any problem with the dual name as It gives you both the fun of funky names and the clarity of "Numidian Nobles"

Edit: Ooops, sorry. Seems that was you and there have not been any changes since. Anyway this also means you know the peoples opinion. Well It's either Do-it-yourself or get used to non english names I mean you have been living with them for 3 years now ;)

Edit: fyi this is the 4th thread you made for this topic!(and now I posted in all but one XD ) You could aswell just necro them or even simpler, mod it yourself
    Last edited by Ca Putt; 02-01-2012 at 15:20.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Apprentice Geologist Member Blxz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ca Putt View Post
    Personally I don't see any problem with the dual name as It gives you both the fun of funky names and the clarity of "Numidian Nobles"
    :
    This here. ^

Its really not hard to look to the end of the units name. I do it automatically now. I mean, the english is quite obvious, you don't have to sift through loads of text or anything.

Of course, as Ca Putt said, just go through the files and remove the first, foreign part of all the unit names. Not so difficult. (although more difficult than just dealing with it the normal way.

EDIT: of just look at the unit card to recognise what it is. Its pretty obvious what you are dealing with by the picture.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Macedonia EB 0.81 / Saby'n EB 1.1
    Qart'Hadarst EB 1.2 / Hai EB 1.2
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria
    donated by Brennus for attention to detail.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hybr1d View Post
    I remember in the first EB it was like reading a different language
    You are :p

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

the names are part of the EB experience, and a lot of effort clearly went into reconstructing a lot of the non documented ones.
    If you want "ROMAN LEGION" fighting the BARBARIANS there's probably a game just called ROMAN LEGION XTREME FIGHTS CANNIBAL VS SEEZUR

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Asking for translated names is not quite the same as dumbing down.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

To answer the OP's question: no, I don't expect EB2 to offer you the option to switch between “native” and “English” names, and in fact we have pushed our use of native names further than before. An example of this would be native names used in tooltips for campaign map objects such as ports, settlements and agents.

EDIT: Additionally, it looks like the first releases will not make it easy to mod this yourself.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 02-05-2012 at 12:06.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Excellent, weed out the lazy XD

I hope this prevents him from posting a 5th topic.
    "Who fights can lose, who doesn't fight has already lost."
    - Pyrrhus of Epirus

"Durch diese hohle Gasse muss er kommen..."
    - Leonidas of Sparta

"People called Romanes they go the House"
    - Alaric the Visigoth

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    EDIT: Additionally, it looks like the first releases will not make it easy to mod this yourself.
    I like the sound of that.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez View Post
    I like the sound of that.
    My sarcasm detector just went off, is working properly or is that a false positive?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

My sarcasm detector just went off, is working properly or is that a false positive?
    Seconded.

Also, as much as I like the names, having less moddability seems like a bad thing. Is there a reason why these particular units will be less moddable than the rome.exe equivalent?
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Also, as much as I like the names, having less moddability seems like a bad thing. Is there a reason why these particular units will be less moddable than the rome.exe equivalent?
    It has to do with the way we use the strings.bin file format, or rather how we use the CUF tool to build some of them. We don't enforce certain limits on what symbols may occur in these files and as a result you might find that while you could decompile them fairly easily, you would not end up with a usable result. This ranges from the fairly obvious “my text editor barfs”, to “what's with that indentation” to “when I recompile, suddenly bits and pieces are commented out”/“the game CTDs”.

The reason we probably won't give you the source files on installation at this point is that the source files have changed significantly in format (now they're in a custom XML format that isn't actually understood by any tool out there), which in turn necessitates another whole machinery to be able to splice them into the mod.

It is the last bit which would complicate things most: internally we use the equivalent of “lots of duct tape” to hold things together, which works well enough for our purposes but it isn't exactly something we can foist on people who just want to play the mod. To do it properly would first of all require a rewrite of that into something less dependent on all the tape, and secondly require more work on the installer code to support it.
    - Tellos Athenaios

The reason we probably won't give you the source files on installation at this point is that the source files have changed significantly in format (now they're in a custom XML format that isn't actually understood by any tool out there), which in turn necessitates another whole machinery to be able to splice them into the mod.
    My brain hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    My brain hurts.
    Me too, although I understood duct tape.
    Completed Campaigns:
    Current Campiagns:
    Getai/Sauromatae/Baktria

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz View Post
    Me too, although I understood duct tape.
    lol!

I think that most can agree that the native language is fine the way it is. I am not sure if OP is unable to play the game because of it or it is just an inconvenience. In any case, I do not think any time spent on accommodating this request would be warranted.

Why shouldn't we turn off native names? I've seen so many anomalies where really good players lost battles in EB Online that they shouldn't have lost. I couldn't explain it until now. It must be the native names. That's what threw them off, causing them to lose concentration and thus lose the battle. SAY NO TO NATIVE NAMES.

*chuckle*
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Sorry, I did not check the thread earlier.

Ideally of course everything would be moddable, without too much fuss, but we all know that software does not work that way.

Undoubtedly there are many features that may make an appearance in the final release of EB2 that won't make it in the first few releases. I don't think anyone minds that - there is no way things can be done to perfection in one go.

What I meant to imply is that it means that progress with EB2 has been substantial enough not to have a "quick fix" for this particular issue - that the team is not starting from scratch (or near scratch) now. I am happy with such progress, even though I wish it was easier on the team to manage it. I am not too concerned it is not a priority for the team to address this particular issue. It is a feature that is not essential for gameplay, and as such I don't mind if it does not make it in the first releases of EB2.

Hope that clarifies it.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Why shouldn't we turn off native names? I've seen so many anomalies where really good players lost battles in EB Online that they shouldn't have lost. I couldn't explain it until now. It must be the native names. That's what threw them off, causing them to lose concentration and thus lose the battle. SAY NO TO NATIVE NAMES.

*chuckle*
    I have lost many a battle because instead of focusing on the action at hand, I was debating the correct pronunciation of Sauromatae Fistaeg Fat Aexsdzhytae. Actually if you want entertaining comedy, several of my videos feature me verbally stumbling over such things.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

No klingon requests until now, that's suprising...

It is even more surprising there has not been a request for Bartixian.

Those jokes are old. You really should listen to BSR pronouncing SFFA and other units.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)