Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Americans do not pay off credit card debts

Default Re: Why Americans do not pay off credit card debts

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    You shouldn't really discuss banks and money transactions with a Norwegian. Our banks are on the bleeding edge technologically.
    We expect that when paying our bills via the net, the money will be withdrawn from our account immediately.
    We like to pay for our €0.5 lollipop with a debit card - with no questions asked.
    We no longer carry cash around - and quite like our small card-sized wallets.
    Parking in the city is payed via an app on the phone or a debit card at the nearest parking meter.
    We order a whopper menu via an app on the phone and pick it up at the nearest burger place.

Its only when going abroad that we realize how awkward these things are for the rest of the world.
    How do you tip service personnel? Or do they just add a certain percentage automatically?

I'm also quite sure that Monaco doesn't have huge problems with poor people. If only every country could be more like Monaco, then we'd all be rich!

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    1. Look at the second word in the title.
    I'm aware of the facts that it is a pilot project so far, but considering the speed with which modern technologies come tearing into our world, it's not gonna take them long to actually start mass production of the technology in question. My bet is five years.

2. This is about fingerprints, not fingerchips. Are you saying it's spooky that we're all born with fingerprints...?
    I'm also aware of that. But, again, using your body as a payment means is a common thing for both, so fingerprints are the first step. Then they are gonna tell you that one can't store and use all the necessary information via fingerprint technology and ask you if you would like to get rid of any troubles accompanying carrying objects representing money outside your body? Guess what they would offer if you answer yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    How do you tip service personnel?
    They carry a dozen credit cards with variuos small sums of money and if the situation requires it they tip them stuffing such a card down the serviceman's pocket. Or the same procedure during a handshake.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

How do you tip service personnel? Or do they just add a certain percentage automatically?

I'm also quite sure that Monaco doesn't have huge problems with poor people. If only every country could be more like Monaco, then we'd all be rich!
    What a question? and from an IT trained person.
    The waiter comes to the table with a portable terminal. The sum for the meal is displayed. You press Ok and you have the option to change the total amount. You round it up to about 10 -15% more than the stated amount and it is credited the waiter as tips.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 11-06-2014 at 15:51.
    Status Emeritus

Members thankful for this post (2):

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some restaurants have a "Insert x amount for tip", but usually, they automatically add 10% and then you have to specifically ask them to remove it, and looking like a "cheapskate" with the humiliation factor. All fun and games.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    I'm aware of the facts that it is a pilot project so far, but considering the speed with which modern technologies come tearing into our world, it's not gonna take them long to actually start mass production of the technology in question. My bet is five years.

I'm also aware of that. But, again, using your body as a payment means is a common thing for both, so fingerprints are the first step. Then they are gonna tell you that one can't store and use all the necessary information via fingerprint technology and ask you if you would like to get rid of any troubles accompanying carrying objects representing money outside your body? Guess what they would offer if you answer yes.
    This is entering paranoialand.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

I like cash. It lets you buy weed without electronic fingerprints

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    What about people who don't want bank accounts? What about people who want to remain anonymous with their transactions? Would you label them all criminals, and proponents of the black market?
    According to our terrorist profiling poster at my job. Anyone who pays with cash or wishes to use a moniker is in league with al qaeda ISIS. Those unamerican, pot smoking, jesus hating, communist, fascist nazis will get whats coming to them for not using credit cards like a good decent american would
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Member thankful for this post:

You shouldn't really discuss banks and money transactions with a Norwegian. Our banks are on the bleeding edge technologically.
    We expect that when paying our bills via the net, the money will be withdrawn from our account immediately.
    We like to pay for our €0.5 lollipop with a debit card - with no questions asked.
    We no longer carry cash around - and quite like our small card-sized wallets.
    Parking in the city is payed via an app on the phone or a debit card at the nearest parking meter.
    We order a whopper menu via an app on the phone and pick it up at the nearest burger place.

Its only when going abroad that we realize how awkward these things are for the rest of the world.
    And this is why Norway is considered to be one of the most expensive countries for living. Banks simply include a certain percentage for servicing their credit cards into the price of goods.

The waiter comes to the table with a portable terminal. The sum for the meal is displayed. You press Ok and you have the option to change the total amount. You round it up to about 10 -15% more than the stated amount and it is credited the waiter as tips.
    What about hotel bellboys and maids? Or are their uniforms designed so that terminals are parts of them? And what about resort facilities staff? Oops, how silly of me, there aren't any beaches in Norway. Or are there? Still, the imagination draws a picture of Pamela Anderson rushing to save me with a terminal bouncing up and down upon her belt... Well, to tell the truth, it is not the terminal whose bouncing comes first into the picture.

What about hotel bellboys and maids? Or are their uniforms designed so that terminals are parts of them? And what about resort facilities staff?
    I've noticed at some places the servers and what not carry their phones with a little card reader attached to it. You tip them through that. idk though.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

And this is why Norway is considered to be one of the most expensive countries for living. Banks simply include a certain percentage for servicing their credit cards into the price of goods.
    Cash is far more expensive to handle than cards, I'm afraid.

And tipping isn't common in Norway. We get paid the full wage instead.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Cash is far more expensive to handle than cards, I'm afraid.

And tipping isn't common in Norway. We get paid the full wage instead.
    How do you tip strippers?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    How do you tip strippers?
    That people are willing to pay 300 USD for ten minutes of penetration just shows me we can tax people a lot harder without hurting anyone.

Blog Entries

That people are willing to pay 300 USD for ten minutes of penetration just shows me we can tax people a lot harder without hurting anyone.
    Hurting anyone but the person raising the taxes. The Americans are notoriously rabid when it comes to paying taxes.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Blog Entries

Damnit Vodafone!
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

I don't understand why people have such a problem with credit cards. If you pay off the balance at the end of the month, interest does no even come into play.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

I know how and that it is technically possible, I was curious about how it is actually done.

Tiaexz explained the guilt-variant in his post after yours.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    Well you know profilers. They're notoriously overpaid and full of their own horseshit.
    Why do you hate 'Murica?
    Last edited by Sigurd; 11-07-2014 at 10:35.
    Status Emeritus

We expect that when paying our bills via the net, the money will be withdrawn from our account immediately. Check
    We like to pay for our €0.5 lollipop with a debit card - with no questions asked. Check
    We no longer carry cash around - and quite like our small card-sized wallets. Check
    Parking in the city is payed via an app on the phone or a debit card at the nearest parking meter. Check
    We order a whopper menu via an app on the phone and pick it up at the nearest burger place. Check

Business as usual in Finland as well. One question though. Why pick up a whopper via phone app and move your lazy butt to a restaurant to pick it up, when one can simply order many kinds of dishes from restaurants via internet, pay them using net bank and get the goods delivered to ones home?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    Why pick up a whopper via phone app and move your lazy butt to a restaurant to pick it up, when one can simply order many kinds of dishes from restaurants via internet, pay them using net bank and get the goods delivered to ones home?
    To make sure you can still move farther than from the computer to the fridge.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 11-07-2014 at 17:15.

To make sure you can still move farther than from the computer to the fridge.
    So you are a manly man mr university nationalist, who has no doubt never even held a military issue in your hand? Without services the current form of market would not work.Simple plain fact. Development relies on lazyness of humans.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Advanced mathematics is little more than applied laziness.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    So you are a manly man mr university nationalist, who has no doubt never even held a military issue in your hand?
    As long as one has doubts one is still able to think critically and be ready to correct oneself in case of a mistake. So do have doubts, as have had military training lessons at school (where they taught me handling AK-what's it number and some kind of rifle) and later while already working at the factory I attended military training camp (for two weeks) where I continued my acquaintance with weapons. I can't deny, though, that my dating weapons was brief and can't boast great mastery of them. Yet, I am a peaceful person, if what you meant by your attempt to hurt me, but I don't know why I should be ashamed of it.
    As for being a nationalist, I thought I've had this out elsewhere. Yet I may repeat it in this thread as well: a nationalist is a person who hates other nations, a patriot is the one who loves his own. Feel the difference.
    I don't understand your irony (if irony it was) in regard of "a manly man". I certainly do quite a lot of walking daily and never order anything via internet, but again I don't see why I should be ashamed of it.
    Generally speaking, you have mistakingly considered my post as a personal insult,so let me be more explicit: every "you" used in it didn't mean "you Kagemusha". It was an impersonal usage. Perhaps I should have used "one" instead of "you", so I apologize if your sharpness was caused by misinterpreting my post in view of its possible double reading. If you have other reasons for making the comment you made, feel free to disregard the apology.
    Last edited by Gilrandir; 11-08-2014 at 14:51.

Advanced mathematics is little more than applied laziness.
    Then it is advanced appiled laziness.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123