View Poll Results: Who are you holding your nose and voting for?

Voters
24. This poll is closed
  • Trump

4 16.67%
  • Hillary

10 41.67%
  • Johnson

8 33.33%
  • Stein

2 8.33%
Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1569

Thread: POTUS Election thread

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: POTUS thread

Over. Pennsylvania is Republican.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

I haven't seen it pointed out very much, but from my personal experience and a bit of looking into, I found that immigrants (non-Western European immigrants) are very strongly, if not overwhelmingly, in support of Trump. I saw this both in New York and on the West Coast. We know Clinton has had a dip in Hispanic support relative to Obama, but it might be interesting to dig more. I suspect non-Mexican Latinos, whether authorized immigrant or not, will be surprisingly close to even on support.

The thing is, Trump appeals to a wide range of non-metropolitan mindsets, regardless of origin. Where some may oppose him, it will be according to the following logic:

'I more or less agree with Trump on everything he has said or I have imagined, I like what he broadly stands for, I like his attitude, but he insulted my demographic, so Trump!'

A firsthand example, though not in so many words, I got while in a Las Vegas taxicab this summer. The driver was an Afghan Marine Corps interpreter.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Member thankful for this post:

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Exit polls are showing hispanics voted for Trump in higher numbers than bush or Mittens.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I'm in shock. I've stopped drinking.
    I've never stopped, and consumption will definitely be higher.

Both houses, serious majority of both state governors and legislatures. It's amazing how outmaneuvered the Democrats have been, given the overall popular vote. Is it possible Trump is a political genius? Given the upheaval within his own party, what he has done is pretty amazing. Hopefully this will be more entertaining than apocalyptic...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Members thankful for this post (2):

As of this post, DailyKos has a 92% Clinton victory.

Vitiate Man.

Xiahou 

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    As of this post, DailyKos has a 92% Clinton victory.

I think the marijuana votes mostly went "pro", that might explain it. Otherwise, biggest river in Egypt...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

OK, to be fair, they probably just didn't update once the voting began. Which leaves the question of why the heck anyone would watch their site as opposed to 538, CNN, NYT, or any other with live updates.
    Vitiate Man.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Well Trump won Pennsylvania so it looks like I owe you a thread Strike.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

John Podesta went to the HQ and said they're not conceding yet.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    John Podesta went to the HQ and said they're not conceding yet.
    We will have to wait until tomorrow to see her befuddlement.

It amazes me how incompetent the Democratic leadership has been since 2000. They could have easily thwarted the GOP in several of their missteps over the years, but have shown themselves to be nothing but spineless hacks.

CNN just gave Wisconsin to Trump. It's all over but the crying.

Edit-> Apparently Hillary conceded over the phone to Trump. Ding dong, and god help us all.
    Last edited by drone; 11-09-2016 at 08:41.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

RIP America.

This is the moment I wish NASA reveals a secret Earth evacuation plan and I accept their invitation.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-09-2016 at 09:03.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Bing bing bong bong, just good that this doesn't affect me at all.
    I hope he withdraws from NATO, that way we can also disband the EU and......
    ALL HAIL COMRADE PUTIN!
    Did you hear that Steven Seagal was given Russian citizenship by Putin?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Ja-mata TosaInu

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

I think it's fitting the election that looked more like a reality tv show to be won be a reality tv star. Another glass ceiling shattered. Now get ready for the first female president, Kim Kardashian in 2024.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 11-09-2016 at 09:35.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    ALL HAIL COMRADE PUTIN!

Also, a respectable reaction from the Fark comments:

We elected a black president twice. I truly believe that Trump supporters have concerns larger than only race. Dismissing them as solely racists is the kind of thinking that leads to losing an election you thought was in the bag eight hours ago. Sound familiar?

I think Trump voters feel like their jobs and opportunities are dwindling. They feel like immigrants, black people, and LGBT people are making all the progress and they are being left behind. We may disagree and argue over whether those concerns are justified, but you cannot challenge the fact that they have real concerns and that they act upon those concerns at the ballot box.

The Trump candidacy was as much a middle finger to the Republican party establishment as anything else. They sent a message. If Democrats stick our fingers in our ears and say "you're just a bunch of deplorable racists" we're missing the message again. They feel they are being marginalized and left behind. Dismissing them as only hateful racists marginalizes them and therefore proves them right. We can't act like they don't have concerns.

I'm not a Trump supporter. I voted for Hillary. But we Democrats aren't going to win in 2018 or 2020 or beyond by dismissing the concerns of Trump voters. We need to address them, and address them honestly.
    Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (2):

I told you Donald was going to win. People are too shy to admit they like Nazism in a phone conversation and it is really awkward that the poll companies have not yet grasped that simple fact. Now only if Admiral Kuznetsov purges today the Islamofascists of W. Aleppo in an orgy of red fire, then Charles Lister may finally decide to stop being a waste of oxygen.

Yall have been finessed by a con artist, plain and simple.

Very smart people!

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
    Too accurate Too true
    Ja-mata TosaInu

People are too shy to admit they like Nazism in a phone conversation
    I think it's rather that they weren't responding to the polls in the first place. The fascists were already very vocal in their support. The Trump surge owes a good deal to a disengaged and disheartened 'shadow electorate', not to shy Nazis.
    Vitiate Man.

Considering the limited length and breadth of his knowledge, I always assumed that even if Trump did win he'll be more of a figurehead rather than anything else while more sensible heads below him do all the actual work.
    Let's hope it's so.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

I'd like it if one of the takeaways of this election is that money != win. Clinton massively out-raised and out-spent Trump.... and lost. Perhaps it's more important to have a message that appeals to voters rather than spending buckets of cash on over-produced campaign ads?

Having not been a Trump supporter, I'm going to try to remain cautiously optimistic and give Trump the benefit of the doubt until he shows otherwise. I did the same thing for Obama after the 2008 hopey/changey election. I hoped he would be the post-partisan president that he claimed he would be.... and he wasn't. Let's see what Trump does.

Edit: I just watched Trump's victory speech and... it wasn't terrible. Probably the most humble I've heard him.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 11-09-2016 at 13:37.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime View Post

Very smart people!
    lol. You people still don't get it.

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha View Post
    I sincerely hope that once Trump xenophobic wallbuilder sexist is the POTUS, things will not turn out as bad as i fear they will.
    Do you really?

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    ALL HAIL COMRADE PUTIN!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trump.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	19142
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Husar 

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    Edit: I just watched Trump's victory speech and... it wasn't terrible. Probably the most humble I've heard him.
    Watched some of that, I like how he said people should be thankful to Clinton for her service in the government when yesterday it was still about crooked Hillary having ruined the country with that same service.
    One could also say he wanted division to win and now that he won he wants unity. Whether that includes all the minorities he wants to trample on remains to be seen I guess. As we say here, the guy says a lot when the day is long...

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Colonel In Chief Member PROVOST's Avatar

You can build a throne with bayonets, but you can't sit on it for long. -Boris Yeltsin

мыслете наш он покой

Beskar 

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Canadian Immigration Website crashed...
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7406106.html
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Xiahou 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/qr0XiP4.jpg
    No worse than the crap that Corbyn has said over the years. At least Trump has (AFAIK) never taken the side of enemy whom our troops were fighting, unlike Corbyn and his mates.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Anyone surprised by this result must have willfully ignored Clinton's unelectability - for at least three different reasons - and the fact that Donald Trump actually had the better message "Make America Great Again".

Actually very like Obama's "Yes we Can!"

It's just like Brexit, people assumed that the "Establishment" side had to win, because it was the Establishment, it was Progressive and it was "On the Right Side of History"

I think it's time we re-evaluate which side History is on, because the last two years have seen a lot of upsets.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

You did the same thing in the Brexit thread. Your opinions are effete, salon room abstractions that only serve to stroke the egos of those in your circle. You offer nothing, other than a pithy meme and your own smug sense of superiority.

This is a little dramatized but the main points are there https://youtu.be/YY-CiPVo_NQ

The working class was willing to look past the henious things he said and did because they have been lied to for so long. Pride cometh before the fall.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Do you really?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trump.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	601.5 KB 
ID:	19142

Last time "the working man" started giving the finger to the establishment and started voting and following en masse for the populists, humanity got wonderful establishments like communist and fascist regimes.

What i am afraid of is that Trump wants to make state level deals and appeal to his voting base, he will indeed pull US out of Europe. In a way that is rather self deserving for Europe, for relying to US for so long.

The thing is that once US will be out Euros are going to understand that Russia has become a real threat more so with Brexit. I think at that point the "elite" politicians will have to make room for the more patriotic and populist candidates as well in countries like France and Germany in order to proper issue the threats that are looming. At that point maybe we will all be ready yet again at another round of World War. I sincerely hope not, but remains to be seen.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Page 43 of 53 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast