Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maths question

Default Maths question

what is 2 to the power of 10000?

my fancy calculator just says "inf".

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Maths question

According to Windows Calculator:

1.9950631168807583848837421626836 x 10^3010.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy_is_a_Taff

Seems pretty close to me. That's 2 doubled 10,000 times, so probably a bigger number than atoms in the universe or something.

cheers people, it is an insane number, it was one of those ridiculous little bits of homework.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

why would anyone want to know what 2^10 000 is ?

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    why would anyone want to know what 2^10 000 is ?

I have no idea. Apparently writing "inf." is not good enough.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

pff. Ignore your teacher and just write "too big for my calculator"
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by drone

thanks for alerting me to the fact that windows calculator has a scientific calculator. I honestly never knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malcolm
    pff. Ignore your teacher and just write "too big for my calculator"
    bah, I tried that, it was the only red ink on the paper. He handed it back to me and suggested I fix it so that I could get 100%.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

thanks for alerting me to the fact that windows calculator has a scientific calculator. I honestly never knew.
    Here at work, it's a godsend. I'm too lazy to do hex-to-decimal conversions in my head.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone

If the universe was a sphere of water with a radius of about 15 billion light years, weighing 1000kgs per cubic meter, I estimate that it would contain something in the order of 1 x 10^101 molecules of water.

2 x 10^3010 is an absurb number, so what is the point in knowing it?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Philologist Senior Member ajaxfetish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BDC
    Seems pretty close to me. That's 2 doubled 10,000 times, so probably a bigger number than atoms in the universe or something.
    Of course, you could argue that it's just about as close to infinity as 4, or 1/2, or any other finite number.

It is pretty big though, still.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I have no words, my voice is in my sword." --- Shakespeare
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    If the universe was a sphere of water with a radius of about 15 billion light years, weighing 1000kgs per cubic meter, I estimate that it would contain something in the order of 1 x 10^101 molecules of water.

I'd love to know too. To prove that we can use a calculator?

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

We should put our ORG heads together and come up with a new mathematical system...

I'd like a system that deals with fractions better than those generally in use.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Okay, here's my suggestion. Don't teach people that don't want to be taught math past exponents, quadratics and the beginnings of imaginary numbers. Most students here don't get to that, much less past it. And I certainly will never use what I am learning now ever again, except in classes of course.

I'd rather be slightly unbalanced than have a chance to get a C in Honors pre-calc....
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Humbled Father Member Duke of Gloucester's Avatar

I don't know. I am assuming that your maths teacher knows that you can't do that sum on a standard calculator and is expecting you to use some maths to work out this answer. How about:

2^10 = 1024

so 2^10000 = 1024^1000
    = 1000^1000 x 1.024^1000
    = 10^3000 x 1.024^1000

Now 1.024^1000 can be done on a normal calculator. It equals 2.00 x 10^10 to 3 sig. fig..

Therefore 2^10000 = 2.00 x 10^3010 calculated on a normal calculator using a little ingenuity.
    We all learn from experience. Unfortunately we don't all learn as much as we should.

And now I feel the effects of not having taken a math class in the last five years. When I was taking AP Calc I was on top of the world; now the good Duke's post is complete gibberish to me.

Ajax

"I do not yet know how chivalry will fare in these calamitous times of ours." --- Don Quixote
    "I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it." --- Jack Handey

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

2^10000= 10^(lg2*10000)= 10^3010.2999566398119521373889472449
    If your teacher doesn't like that answer

pick up the decimals of lg2*10000=3010.x

so you get 10^0.x = 1.9950631168807583848837421626836

Thus you get 1.9950631168807583848837421626836*10^3010

Haven't anyone here learned to count with logaritmes?
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Humanist Senior Member Franconicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio

Math is an abstract science. It is a logical construct. By a funny accident it can be applied to reality. Maybe the big creator loves abstract things too!

Anyway, no number is close to inf. And no number is meaningless. Just take the philosopher's approach: You can imagine this number, ergo it is!

Did you know that there is laugh 2,3,4 but no laugh 1? Strange! I think mankind could learn a lot if it could only find out why
    Last edited by Franconicus; 02-08-2006 at 16:58.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

2 to the power of 10000 is 2 to the power of 10000 obviously, what's the point of writing something that can be so elegantly (and correctly) expressed in a binary system in a decimal one ? I really don't get why he would ask something like that.

You don't normally use scientific calculators ? We've used them since grade 10 (I think, might have been 9).

Quote Originally Posted by Uesugi Kenshin
    Okay, here's my suggestion. Don't teach people that don't want to be taught math past exponents, quadratics and the beginnings of imaginary numbers. Most students here don't get to that, much less past it. And I certainly will never use what I am learning now ever again, except in classes of course.

I'd rather be slightly unbalanced than have a chance to get a C in Honors pre-calc....
    I don't think everyone learns about imaginary numbers, iirc here it's only taught at the 'higher' education levels or in the more technical ones. I think they don't even see them in high School in the Netherlands.
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Quote Originally Posted by doc_bean
    2 to the power of 10000 is 2 to the power of 10000 obviously, what's the point of writing something that can be so elegantly (and correctly) expressed in a binary system in a decimal one ? I really don't get why he would ask something like that.

You don't normally use scientific calculators ? We've used them since grade 10 (I think, might have been 9).
    It was a miniscule part of an assignment, I don't know why they wanted it more expanded.

We do usually use scientific calculators, I have misplaced my very nice one and I did not know about the one in windows.
    Last edited by Taffy_is_a_Taff; 02-08-2006 at 13:23.

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Can yours handle numbers in that size though? My can only get to 10^100-1 and I've seen up to 10^1000-1 but not larger.

Never known about the science calculator in Windows either.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    Ok I barely know how to even pronounce "logarithm" and you misspell it?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Humbled Father Member Duke of Gloucester's Avatar

2^10000= 10^(lg2*10000)= 10^3010.2999566398119521373889472449
    If your teacher doesn't like that answer

pick up the decimals of lg2*10000=3010.x

so you get 10^0.x = 1.9950631168807583848837421626836

Thus you get 1.9950631168807583848837421626836*10^3010

This is a better method, because it will work with any number, whereas my suggestion only works with powers of 2.

And now I feel the effects of not having taken a math class in the last five years. When I was taking AP Calc I was on top of the world; now the good Duke's post is complete gibberish to me.
    And I have not done a maths course for 23 years. Is there a smug smiley?
    We all learn from experience. Unfortunately we don't all learn as much as we should.

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    Can yours handle numbers in that size though? My can only get to 10^100-1 and I've seen up to 10^1000-1 but not larger.
    You're right
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus
    Math is an abstract science. It is a logical construct. By a funny accident it can be applied to reality. Maybe the big creator loves abstract things too!

Anyway, no number is close to inf. And no number is meaningless. Just take the philosopher's approach: You can imagine this number, ergo it is!
    Math isn't that abstract... some of the greatest mathematicians are those who come from the physicists... calculus etc

If anything it is rooted in nature and then applied to abstract ideas, occassionally coming back to touch the natural world.

And I wouldn't define maths as a science. It is a tool used by scientists. But science is the act of describing natural phenomena by natural means. The very ability for maths to be abstract of nature means that it is not science.

Quote Originally Posted by Franconicus

Did you know that there is laugh 2,3,4 but no laugh 1? Strange! I think mankind could learn a lot if it could only find out why
    last laugh is on you. Laugh1 doesn't have a 1...

Ironside-san ... that is the superior method as it more universal in approach.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 02-08-2006 at 23:53.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

I don't think everyone learns about imaginary numbers, iirc here it's only taught at the 'higher' education levels or in the more technical ones. I think they don't even see them in high School in the Netherlands.
    Same here, unfortunately since I am reasonably good at math I have to take three years of it. Which is enough to throw me head-first into imaginary numbers and funky quadratics with fractional exponents.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Gloucester
    And I have not done a maths course for 23 years. Is there a smug smiley?
    There ya go!

Ajax

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Better yet, take the integral of f(x) = x^2 for the interval [0, 2^10000].

What does your calculator say about that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast