Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best roman faction in RTW?

Angry Whats the best roman faction in RTW?

I think the senate just sucks and the scipii rule but they have to face carthage and greeks first.

That's GENERAL Drusus Magnus! Member Drusus Magnus's Avatar

Default Re: Whats the best roman faction in RTW?

Well apart from gladiators, they all have the same units. It just depends on preference, since the AI is just too stupid for you to be able to lose from it. Anyone with an IQ over 50 should... no, let me rephrase: anyone with brain activity should be able to win a campaign. It doesn't matter what factions you'll be up against.
    [POST COUNT IMPROVED]

Quote Originally Posted by Drusus Magnus
    Well apart from gladiators, they all have the same units. It just depends on preference, since the AI is just too stupid for you to be able to lose from it. Anyone with an IQ over 50 should... no, let me rephrase: anyone with brain activity should be able to win a campaign. It doesn't matter what factions you'll be up against.
    Dont forget arcani for the julii.

Quote Originally Posted by Telys The Conqueror
    Dont forget arcani for the julii.
    Everyone gets them. Well I'm not sure about the Brutii, but I'd guess they'd have 'em too. In my Scipii campaign I can train them in cities which have an awesome temple of Saturn.
    [POST COUNT IMPROVED]

I don't know what someone else's criteria of "best" would be, but in terms of "easy".... that has to be the Brutii. Make a quick push into Greece and then Asia Minor, get your ports built up, and you'll be swimming in cash from trading income all the way to the end of the game. Money is never a problem for the Brutii.
    Feaw is a weapon.... wise genewuhs use weuuhw! -- Jebe the Tyrant

Everyone gets them. Well I'm not sure about the Brutii, but I'd guess they'd have 'em too. In my Scipii campaign I can train them in cities which have an awesome temple of Saturn.
    Well I've only really played as the scipii once and I dont think the brutii can recruit them but hey, what do I know, absolutely nothin.

My favorite roman faction would have to be the julii, even though they dont have the best location, I find they are more interesting to play as than the other houses. If I had to choose between the brutii and scipii I would have to choose the scipii for their ships.

Arcani are recruitable for all the Roman factions (At least in Custom Battles they are 0-o).

Though, I take 'best' as 'most exciting' and for that I'd pick Carthage.
    "Cry, the beloved country, for the unborn child that is the inheritor of our fear. Let him not love the earth too deeply. Let him not laugh too gladly when the water runs through his fingers, nor stand too silent when the setting sun makes red the veld with fire. Let him not be moved when the birds of his land are singing, nor give too much of his heart to a mountain or a valley. For fear will rob him of all if he gives too much."

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Well the Best roman Faction would be the one with the most advanced gladiator unit - since other than that they are all the same.

So it would turn out like this, from best to ''worst''

-Scipii
    -Julii
    -Brutii

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

We should also consider the temple bonuses. The Julii bonuses are somewhat useless in my opinion, but the Brutii can pump out better units with better morale if they build a temple to Mars, and they can increase their already outrageous trade income in the Aegean by temples to Mercury.

The Scipii also have some improved units with Vulcan, and a very good ship, the Corvus Quinquereme(sp?).

So in terms of military might:

Scipii, followed very closely by, or even tied with, the Brutii.
    Julii.

But I think the differences are neglectable.
    [POST COUNT IMPROVED]

The best are Scipii and Brutii
    Julii suck most of them.

Anyway I prefer other nations but the romans

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Hi

Im playing Brutii and have played Julii. Both seem exactly the same to me.

Prefer the red colour of Julii and it contrasts better against the green of grass battlefields.

More seriously...the preference is not so much about your own troops but which enemy you want to fight ?

Ive enjoyed both Julii and Brutii as they have taken me in different directions and against different opponents.
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

The best Roman faction is the eastern empire.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Red face Re: Whats the best roman faction in RTW?

In RTW not BI

All Roman fractions in RTW are nearly equal. They differ most in what kind of temples they could build. Second to that are some few, very specific units.
    I love temples that improves trade and experience more but some + X % increasing the growth of population. I also enjoy the mighty Scipii ships some temple offers. So in that contest the Julii suck more but others.

The enemies of the Julii are almost barbarians. Those have very light, but numerous armies. The cities you will conquer are almost low populated the more north you move. Slavery is the answer. But I love it more to have some fine basic buildings I can conquer in more improved Nations. The Greek cultures and the fine Cartagians offer more loot and goods but in northern Europe. Fighting in the woods can also be a pain.

So, that are the reasons I love Scipii and Brutii more but the Julii.

Post Re: Whats the best roman faction in RTW?

In colour wise it would proberly be the Scipii or the Julii, the green for the brutii to me is a bit bright.

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

I'd say Brutii for position and who they have to attack first. It's very direct. I like it best.

Quote Originally Posted by kburkert
    In RTW not BI
    BI is RTW, RTW is BI. They are the same.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Quote Originally Posted by lars573
    BI is RTW, RTW is BI. They are the same.
    BI is RTW:BI, RTW is not necessarily RTW:BI.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Me I would always go for the Julli - yes they do not always have the great temple bonuses but they do wear red - Proper Roman colour!
    May the Foss be with you....

The Brutii get experience and morale boost with the Mars temple or an increased trade with the Mercury temple to supplement their already outrageous income. They also can recruit Gladiators on the first level arena's where as the other roman factions require third level. For those that as yet have not discovered there importance, they are the most effective unit the romans have in dealing with chariots.
    Look out for a Macedonian Artemis temple to upgrade missile attack to +3. The Brutii are also the easiest faction by far to play.

The Scipii get gold upgrades with the Vulcan and great ships with Neptune.

The Julii offers the most challenging because of there lower income levels, but surprisingly have access to the very best temples in the game. Keep a look out for Gaul or Spanish Abnoba sacred circle for +3 missile attack. Most importanly watch for Epona sacred circle which romans can upgrade to pantheon giving +5 experience (double silver chevron). Thats got to be the best the game has to offer.

It bassicly comes down to Temples gladiators and the difficulty of your main early foe. I'd go overall with the julli as best all round. with the scipii as most powefull.

Personally any law temple clenches it for me.
    Roma locuta est. Causa finita est

The Scipii in my opinion.

The Ultimate Grand Inquisitor! Member UltraWar's Avatar

if the question was non-roman faction it would be Thrace...
    anyway i would say that the Roman Julii faction is the best faction on Rome:Total War as it has a good position to expand and doesn't have the drawbacks which the Scipii has (the volcanos) but it doesn't have very good access at the start to getting any of the 7 wonders of the world

It's the Brutii. Just because of their intended route which leads them to all the Wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus
    It's the Brutii. Just because of their intended route which leads them to all the Wonders.

Not stupid... I think I`ll have to agree with that. You`ll also get more trade than the Julii thanks to the coast lines.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Temple-wise I consider the ranking as follows:
    - Scipii (armour upgrades, Corvus Quinquimere, Law bonus)
    - Bruti (Experience, Trade, Health)
    - Julii (Law, Happiness, Growth)

Since Health and Growth produce more problems than they offer solutions in the long run I never use them, that leaves the Bruti and Julii with only two useful temples each. Trade is nice, especially early in the game, but later on you´ve got more money than you can reasonably spend, so a trade temple can be problematic, too, if you pay attention to your family members´ Vices and Virtues.
    Both Law and Happiness are good as they keep the population content, which is especially important in conquered cities. Armour and Experience are very usefull in the home provinces to boost the efficiency for units from the potentially most developed cities. The Corvus is nice but not crucial, in my opinion, to get to it takes quite a while, and chances are that by then the extra edge provided by it isn´t really needed anymore.

I'm gonna go with Brutii.
    "Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite." - John Kenneth Galbraith

Terra, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, somewhere in this universe.

They're the same, but the Scipii have the best troops. They have a difficult first mission though, Syracuse.

Grumfoss: the red was just made up. There is no evidence to suggest that the Romans would colour their shields, and even if they did it wouldn't be red. Along with purple, red was one of the most if not the most expensive dye. Purple was so expensive that it was worn only by the richest.
    Student by day, bacon-eating narwhal by night (specifically midnight)

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

That's true, but sometimes there is positioning that's a lot better for some of the campaigns.

If I'm not mistaken, Scipii only has one settlement and is right in the middle of Italy. In my opinion, that's not the best position. The Julii have an alright position, at the north and fighting the Gauls. The Brutii, have the best position with two settlements and they are perfect to expand.

Anything that isn't 'member' Member Squid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    If I'm not mistaken, Scipii only has one settlement and is right in the middle of Italy. In my opinion, that's not the best position. The Julii have an alright position, at the north and fighting the Gauls. The Brutii, have the best position with two settlements and they are perfect to expand.
    The Scipii like all Roman factions have 2 settlements, 1 on the southwest part of Italy proper, and 1 on the northeast part of Sicily.

-Trait/Ancillary/Building Editor

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity;
    and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast