Thread: Ribauts

Default Ribauts

I can't figure out how to use ribaults effectively. In a custom battle I engaged a line of enemy armored swordsmen with some cheap spears and had a ribault fire at the swords from close range (approx 2 x charge distance) from the flank. One volley killed approximately half the unit and routed the rest.

That's all honkey dorey, but ribaults are 1) slow 2) short range. How do you set them up in a real battle? 1 on 1 Ribault vs an attacking row of infantry (peasants), ribault loses without manual control. It fires a volley from max range, then infantry rushes in and slaughters ribault crew. While it's possible to delay the initial volley manually so it comes in when the infantry is close, I dont have that kind of time to micro manage it.

Anyone have suggestions besides, "don't use rebaults"?

Default Re: Ribauts

1. Don't use rebaults.

2. Perhaps you could group them and then turn on fire at will once the attackers get close. A bit less micromanaging.

They can be quite handy if you have a couple just in front of your line, to give the approaching enemy a morale-hitting volley at close range before abandoning the ribaults and withdrawing through your lines. To be fair though, you can't expect too much from them; they are close-range anti-unit siege weapons. The other units which fill this role are ballistas, monster ribaults and rocket launchers, and all three do it better than ribaults do (and ballistas are much more easily obtained). It's the same argument for why you can't expect wonders from basic bombards against a huge citadel.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

To be honest, ribaults are best suited for (city) siege defense where you can shoot chunks of enemies running towards you through a narrow, straight and long street.

In a field battle, you need to deploy them a bit in front of your ranks or together in the front or slightly behind with clear vision and flanked with infantry or stakes. Alternatively, you can deploy them on the flanks of your formation right behind your cavalry. That way once your cavalry runs off, they have a clear shot through the entire enemy mass engaging your center ranks. If you have 2 ribault crews, one at each flank reduces the amount of work your center has to do with some safety. You always need to manage when to let them fire though. As a rule of thumb, after you tell them to shoot, they first need to turn and then walk up to the engine. That takes anywhere up to 6 seconds. From loading to shooting, that's maybe another 3-4.

Never ever use them against cavalry unless they come head on as cavalry will outmaneuver them and prevent you from shooting.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Ribaults are primarily an anti-morale tool, as the morale hit of being shot by them is very nasty. I like to park ribaults near the end of my line and let them take one shot as the enemy comes in, then order a hold fire. Once the lines are engaged instruct the ribault to fire along the line of the enemy's engagement, and you can nearly guarantee that whole wing of the enemy formation will rout.

I don't tend to get a lot of kills with them, but they entirely change the shape of battles by routing otherwise orderly troops. If you can arrange to hit the line with a cavalry charge right after the ribault fires you will shatter even the highest morale troops. Also note that their morale doesn't go back up immediately, so troops that rally can often be scattered again by a simple cavalry charge.

If you park one at the head of a bridge, or just inside a city, you've got a lock. The AI just can't get by it, providing you don't let it get overrun.

What about using them when the terrain provides an opportunity to hide your artillery in cover?

Example: The Mayan Jungle. Hiding ribaults in foliage or a treeline with a cheap spear/peasant unit protecting them would do the trick, no?

Unless i'm mistaken, siege units cannot hide, no?

GAMEROOM
    Come & Play

VINLAND SAGA

Unless I'm mistaken they cannot move through, or occupy wooded terrain.

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken they cannot move through, or occupy wooded terrain.
    In RTW they couldn't in M2 they can move through wooded terrain.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    In RTW they couldn't in M2 they can move through wooded terrain.
    Yes, and even though the unit itself (and the artillery piece) can't "hide", it can still be placed in a location where it's a) not going to be easy for the enemy to actually locate and b) in a position where trees/rocks etc would "fracture" an enemy formation during it's approach.

Throw in all of the different formations you could come up with using your units to protect this position as well and ...you get the idea. You can really dig your artillery in and keep them firing.