Thread: Chief of US forces in the Middle East/Central Asia Resigns

Default Chief of US forces in the Middle East/Central Asia Resigns

Fallon resigns as chief of U.S. forces in Middle East

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Adm. William Fallon has resigned as chief of U.S. forces in the Middle East and Central Asia after more than a year in the post, citing what he called an inaccurate perception that he is at odds with the Bush administration over Iran.

Fallon, the head of U.S. Central Command, was the subject of a recent Esquire magazine profile that portrayed him as resisting pressure for military action against Iran, which the Bush administration accuses of trying to develop nuclear weapons.

In a written statement, he said the article's "disrespect for the president" and "resulting embarrassment" have become a distraction.

"Although I don't believe there have ever been any differences about the objectives of our policy in the Central Command area of responsibility, the simple perception that there is makes it difficult for me to effectively serve America's interests there," he said.

In Washington, Defense Secretary Robert Gates told reporters at the Pentagon that he accepted Fallon's resignation "with reluctance and regret."

But he added, "I think it's the right decision."

"We have tried between us to put this misperception behind us over a period of months, and, frankly, just have not been successful in doing so," he said.

Fallon, a 41-year veteran of the Navy, took over as chief of Central Command in early 2007. Gates said he will be replaced by Lt. Gen. Martin Dempsey, his deputy, who commanded an Army division in Iraq in the early days of the war and led efforts to train the Iraqi military.
    This kind of reminds me of Powell.
    Last edited by Ice; 03-11-2008 at 22:08.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default Re: Cheif of US forces in the Middle East/Central Asia Resigns

I hope his replacement is competent, levelheaded and diplomatic. Having the command over operations in Iraq and Afghanistan as well as avoiding conflict with Iran is one heck of a tall order. Not to mention having to deal with the current administration and plan for dealing with which administration comes to power next January.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

This kind of reminds me of Powell.
    Nah Powell turned out to be an idiot who would just repeat lies .
    This general is slightly different .
    He opposes the course towards Iran , OK thats fairly sensible .
    He thinks Afghanistan is more important , OK thats sensible .
    He opposed the "surge" in Iraq ...well thats just dumb isn't it...errrr hold on as that can't be right , the "surge" is a rip roaring flag waving success .

Lets see if I can try that one again.

He opposed the "surge" in Iraq , as the troop levelswere too low and would be unsustainable in the long term , plus it required the dual approach of political development to succeed and that was not going to happen...oh and it wasted resources that should have been focused on Afghanistan(that last bit applies tothe whole Iraqi episode really doesn't it)....
    So OK scratch the well thats just dumb isn't it line and give it a "OK thats sensible" instead .

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

I'd like some more information on this man, he seems like a great soldier form the little I've read. Does anyone have any links ?
    A Gamecenter with a dedicated Total War fanbase!
    Check out our Facebook!
    Email: shahed@outpost.be

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Gah, I smell spin, spin and more spin, here. Considering the administration usually backs its chosen ones to the hilt even in the face of outright proof of impropriety, then letting such an able man resign over mere "misperceptions" does not entirely convince... but I can accept he's an honourable man who would not wish to embarrass his CinC even if there was a profound disagreement behind the scenes.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Ancient TW2: Eastern Empires is under development again

Featuring: Rise of Persia, Alexander's Conquests, Wars of the Diadochi

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    I'd like some more information on this man, he seems like a great soldier form the little I've read. Does anyone have any links ?
    Here is the Esquire magazine article in question, which fleshes out this rather drab US Navy Bio of him.

On active duty since 1967, he's a naval fly-guy & got civilian education in international relations.

The story is beginning to sound quite a bit like the General Shinseki episode a few years back.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 03-12-2008 at 14:00.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Chief of US forces in the Middle East/Central Asia Resigns

I'm not buying it, I think he was told to resign. It's a pattern seen too many times: Disagree with the administration, get your walking papers.

Anyone know anything about Gen. Dempsey? Is he a yes-man? I hope this isn't the first step towards a Persian excursion.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Of course he was told to resign his rethoric says it all.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone

Anyone know anything about Gen. Dempsey? Is he a yes-man? I hope this isn't the first step towards a Persian excursion.
    Active duty since 1974. Tanker-guy (armor), has been in Iraq off and on since Desert Storm in the 90's. I just watched a press briefing he gave in Dec 2006 (a month before the surge was announced) - he was in charge of training up Iraqi police & military forces at the time. He had plenty of chances to blame "Iranian outsiders" as a factor slowing down his progress, but didn't (unlike the civilian leadership, at the time), instead focusing on Iraqi resolve and political will.

He didn't strike me as a yes-man, or as a particularly 'pro-invasion of Iran' guy.

OTOH, he was slated to soon take over USArmy-Europe as a 4-star general. So he may be only temporary at CENTCOM, until the big bosses dig up someone else for the Senate to confirm.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan
    Here is the Esquire magazine article in question, which fleshes out this rather drab US Navy Bio of him.

On active duty since 1967, he's a naval fly-guy & got civilian education in international relations.

The story is beginning to sound quite a bit like the General Shinseki episode a few years back.
    Thank you Sir.
    A Gamecenter with a dedicated Total War fanbase!
    Check out our Facebook!
    Email: shahed@outpost.be

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Ooh, yes. Good comparison between him and the guy who gave us the beret and wanted to get rid of tanks.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

From your link:
    Contrary to Democratic candidate John Kerry's claim, in the first debate of the 2004 presidential election, Shinseki was not "retired" for his testimony before Congress. His official term as Chief of the Army ended four months later and he retired as scheduled.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln