Thread: re training units

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default re training units

Hi all,

i have not posted on this site since i first started playing MTW VI a couple of weeks ago, i stated that i was a new gamer and bought it on a whim, and loved it .

i have found this site invalable, the guides and the comments, i'm now starting to get a lot better at all aspects of the game. now playing on the hard setting and getting good results in long term campaigns understanding the politics side of the game, and getting a lot better in the battles. all thanks to the guides and reading the threads on different topics.

i have been re training a lot more troops and getting the weapon and armour upgrades as well as re fitting the unit with more troops so as to maintain the valour and morale!

so my question !! if i take a 100% unit of say UM and refit with armour or weapons or both does that cost me and what sort of costs are they

and if i take a 50% full unit and re train either to just 100% full or with weapons ect too does that cost me.

and if the unit is say only supporting one man and i re train it back 100% is that more expensive than re training the unit if it is 99% full.

i hope you get the gist of my questions. and thanks for all the help in these pages, i'll try to post more often now i am getting somewhere in my conquests .

ta

millomant

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: re training units

My understanding is that you only pay for the new men during retraining, not the equipment. So a full unit being retrained for armor/weapons would cost nothing, while a 50% unit being both upgraded and replenished would cost 50% of the unit cost.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

I've found retraining very handy on units that take more than 1 turn to build, like artillery or Berserkers. A 2 man Demi Culverin crew is useless as it can't operate the catault, but you can retrain it in a single turn up to it's full complement of crew. Building a new one would take 3 turns.

I also take it that if you re train a unit in a province with a Master building in it, the retrained unit doesn't get the valour upgrade? Likewise morale upgrades from religious structures dont get added either do they?

I dont really know about the Morale or valour upgrades, the valour is won in battle and i think this does not disapear or dilute if you retrain the unit - i think the unit always keep's what ever valour it has earned. But the morale is gained by morale boosting building's and i thought that they worked like the armour buildings and could also be trained. Hmmm dont really know . Is this right or have i got this wrong .

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Millomant
    I dont really know about the Morale or valour upgrades, the valour is won in battle and i think this does not disapear or dilute if you retrain the unit - i think the unit always keep's what ever valour it has earned. But the morale is gained by morale boosting building's and i thought that they worked like the armour buildings and could also be trained. Hmmm dont really know . Is this right or have i got this wrong .
    I might have it wrong, but I was pretty sure that valor was tracked by man rather than by unit. In other words, if you had 70 high valor spearmen and retrained the unit, you wind up with a unit that consists of 70 high valor spearmen, and 30 green recruits.

Perhaps one of our more learned colleagues could offer some further guidance here?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that is correct. Valour is tracked per man, the number seen on the unit cards is the average value of all the men in the unit. Armour, weapons, and possible morale bonuses count for the whole unit.

I do not know what happens with morale or valour upgrades during retraining. Using vikings as an example, say a unit of vikings is retrained in Norway. Norway gives a +1 valour bonus. I would assume that the new recruits get the +1 valour, the existing men get nothing extra, but this is a guess. For morale, I believe this is done at unit conception, so retraining a unit in a province with a higher level morale structure (church, etc.) would have no effect.

Not 100% on any of these though...
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post: