Thread: Gallic Confederations

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

Default Gallic Confederations

In EB, all of the "barbarian" factions start with only one province, except for the two Gallic factions, the Aedui and the Averni. As I understand it, this is to represent the confederations that were led by these each of these tribes. But I'm curious as to how the EB Team chose which tribes would belong to these factions. For instance, what determined that the Aedui would control Cisalpine Gaul? Was there a historical link between the Insubres, Carnutes and the Aedui? And the same with the Averni tribes.

Thanks for any information on this subject.

Chairman
    My balloons -

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Default Re: Gallic Confederations

And all this time I thought the Romans were barbarians?
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Well... I know it's pretty definite the Averni had Gergovia as their capital, but anything else I know absolutely nothing.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

People's Padishah Emperor Member Emperor Burakuku's Avatar

"[1.1]All Gaul is divided into three parts, one of which the Belgae inhabit, the Aquitani another, those who in their own language are called Celts, in our Gauls, the third. All these differ from each other in language, customs and laws. The river Garonne separates the Gauls from the Aquitani; the Marne and the Seine separate them from the Belgae. Of all these, the Belgae are the bravest, because they are furthest from the civilization and refinement of [our] Province, and merchants least frequently resort to them, and import those things which tend to effeminate the mind; and they are the nearest to the Germans, who dwell beyond the Rhine, with whom they are continually waging war; for which reason the Helvetii also surpass the rest of the Gauls in valor, as they contend with the Germans in almost daily battles, when they either repel them from their own territories, or themselves wage war on their frontiers. One part of these, which it has been said that the Gauls occupy, takes its beginning at the river Rhone; it is bounded by the river Garonne, the ocean, and the territories of the Belgae; it borders, too, on the side of the Sequani and the Helvetii, upon the river Rhine, and stretches toward the north. The Belgae rises from the extreme frontier of Gaul, extend to the lower part of the river Rhine; and look toward the north and the rising sun. Aquitania extends from the river Garonne to the Pyrenaean mountains and to that part of the ocean which is near Spain: it looks between the setting of the sun, and the north star." - Gaius Iuluis Caesar - De Bello Gallico

Also: "...there were two parties in the whole of Gaul: that the Aedui stood at the head of one of these, the Arverni of the other. After these had been violently struggling with one another for the superiority for many years, it came to pass that the Germans were called in for hire by the Arverni and the Sequani" (De Bello Gallico). And the Germans came, then Caesar came to "help" them against Ariovutus, and the rest is history.

I know Caesar had his own version of the thruth, but I don't think this is the case (regarding description of Gaul and explaining their political organisation). Regarding Aedui, they were a confederation ruled by a council who chose a chief magistrate "who is elected annually and has power of life or death over his countrymen". That's all I can halp you with atm. I'm no expert in Gauls, but I'm sure an expert will help you with more detailed and better sources. Cheers!
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

ah yes, de bello gallico, the world's first broadside in latin...Omins Gallia in partes tres..si gallia habas tres partes in EB...hehehe (don't worry, just playing....)
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

People's Padishah Emperor Member Emperor Burakuku's Avatar

It's all I had atm and I had this feeling... I needed to help. Funny anyways!
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

I believe the aedui and the averni benifited from their close association with the greeks in massilia and were able to control most of central gaul. The coastal region was not influenced by the greeks to any great extant and the northern belgae were considered to be primitive and more german-like.