Poll: Which would you put first?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Quick Survey: Money or Happiness?

Tribunus Plebis Member Gaius Scribonius Curio's Avatar

Default A Quick Survey: Money or Happiness?

That's right I have a dilemma.

Firstly, which do you think is better? Be honest, I'd genuinely like to know!

Secondly, , I'm at uni, 2nd year, studying Engineering of all things. I even have a scholarship arrangement with a firm whereby they pay all my fees, and I work for them in breaks. This is a lot of money, over $30,000 when it comes down to it. Also it means I have a guaranteed job when I finish here. However... ... I don't enjoy it. In fact, a fair few of my friends have expressed concern that I'm actually depressed when I'm at uni. I can barely force myself to follow the course and do the assignments, and where I used to be a straight-A student, I'm now barely passing and in a downward spiral!!! There are other things I'd like to study that I'm actually interested in, but career-wise I could never hope to earn anything like what I could by persisting with my current course.....

Gah!!! So opinions?
    Nihil nobis metuendum est, praeter metum ipsum. - Caesar
    We have not to fear anything, except fear itself.

Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
    perque domos Ditis vacuas et inania regna:
    quale per incertam lunam sub luce maligna
    est iter in silvis, ubi caelum condidit umbra
    Iuppiter, et rebus nox abstulit atra colorem.
    - Vergil

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: A Quick Survey: Money or Happiness?

Happiness.

If you choose money, you're going to wake in a decade or two and realize that you hate your life. Its better to work on the things you love to do rather than stick with an awful one that makes you miserable since you will regret it later on
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I'm happier if I have money. Therefore, I choose happiness, because then I'll have money.

Quit your major for a different one. Engineering is a tough field, and you simply won't be able to succeed if you hate it. If you are almost failing in your 2nd year there's no way you'll pass 4th year (twice as hard as 2nd year).

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

If you persist in doing something you don't enjoy, you will see the results. Hell, you're already seeing them. Depression, lack of interest, lack of follow-through. So how much money do you think you'll rack up if you pursue a field in which you are not going to give 100%?

It's a no-brainer. Like a dead Greek guy said, "Virtue does not come from money, but rather from virtue comes money, and all other things good to man."

Happiness cause I'd rather be enoying life poor than owning everything and depressed
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Money. I dont care about happiness.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Money brings happiness...
    The only thing you can't buy is a dinosaur. [/homer simpson]
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I care little for money, aslong as i can afford a few basic material possessions when im older, house, bed, tv, pc, toilet, shower and a fridge, and then afford to get stoned every night outside of that money has little meaning to me.

I choose Happiness, i would rather be a jolly factory worker than a stressed out depressed business owner or other type of high end worker
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Happiness is the obvious answer, although money can help to achieve that, up to a certain level. I think they say here in the UK people get happier up to the £20,000 income a year mark, then it starts to go down with wealth.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Money, or gold in case the economy crashes. That way I can buy stuff that I enjoy.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

I like that the poll had financial security rather than money as the option.
    Personally, I think money can make happy, but being happy doesn't mean you have money.

That said, having enough money to live a decent life is more important than being happy with many friends and living on social security.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Rigged question. Having money problems often leads directly to unhappiness. If you talking about being actively in debt for a long period of time, you probably won't be happy anyway. You can be 'poor' and happy, as long as poor as defined as not a lot of spending money, rather than actively in financial difficulties. Financial problems are the number one cause of arguments in a marriage for a reason.

Money can't buy happiness, but a lack of it can certainly cause unhappiness.

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

To paraphrase Tony Montana: first you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the happiness. At least, I think that's how it goes...
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

I voted for happiness. However, I know many people (including myself) lost their happiness when they fall into a financial difficulty situation.

And to add to BKS post above, those who say great financial advantage can't get you any happiness are those who just don't know how to spend money in a meaningful way.

Research Shinobi Senior Member Tamur's Avatar

One of Martin Luther King's famed sayings is, "Those who are not looking for happiness are the most likely to find it, because those who are searching forget that the surest way to be happy is to seek happiness for others."

This is one of those truths that won't change with technology or population growth or terrorism or global warming, because it's human nature. Money can move people to misery or happiness, but staying there is based on very different issues.
    "Die Wahrheit ruht in Gott / Uns bleibt das Forschen." Johann von Müller

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Financial security.

Not having to worry about money = the ability to go out = the ability for me to meet people = happiness!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

If you quit engineering, do you have to pay back your 2-year subsidy? That could be a factor.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

to me, life without happiness = almost not worth living. You can find happiness through financial security... but its not the be all end all.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I've pretty much decided what I'm going to do.

@ Kukrikhan, I will have to pay back the money from the scholarship fund that has already been paid on my behalf. Thats somewhere in the region of $8000-12000.

I've decided after long and vigourous thought to start arranging to switch. I still have to apply and get accepted, and there are other details that I have to work out, but I've started getting together the forms and stuff, and I'm ringing the scholarship people today.

I just thought I'd note this isn't quite as spontaneous as it seems. I've been considering it for a couple of months as a serious option, but my natural nervousness and lack of confidence and most importantly indesiciveness held me back.

- Vergil

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Well, it's hard to say. You can be happy as a hillbilly, but still be broke and sleeping under a bridge with the local troll. And you can also be richer than Paris Hilton, but still hate your life.

So... GAH!
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

You don't actually have this choice, the world just isn't that simple. Find the right compromise and you'll have both in ample quantities.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

As Evil_Maniac From Mars implied in his somewhat glib reply: If I'm happy, it usually also means that I have enough money as well.
    Last edited by Martok; 05-03-2008 at 00:32.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Blog Entries

An old proverb my Dad Used to Say "Money Can't Buy You Happiness, but Happiness is subjective to how much money you have."

Playing the Devils Advocate However, my parents put financial security first, and it ended up nearly ruining (and completely mentally screwing up) four otherwise healthy children.

Money enough to just be happy, and no more. Earn until you think I can live with this happily enough. that's it.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Any poll with the option happiness is a no-brainer.

As long as it's happiness on the long term, not just for a few minutes/hours/days/weeks...
    Abandon all hope.

Banned ELITEofWARMANGINGERYBREADMEN88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Financial Security. Without Money, You Broke, and won't be happy.Trust me.

Again, Thanks for all the replies.

OK new question...

Just throwing it out there, anyone know anything about bipolar disorder?
    Over the past year, 6-7 people have suggested that I might have it. Latest was one of my friends who suggested that I should go talk to her therapist. I think I might. I've been doing some reading and may have some (OK a lot) of the symptoms.

Thing is the gap between highs and lows is supposed to be in the order of months, or at leasts weeks. I regularly go from an excellent mood in the morning, to hating myself in the afternoon and then back again by the evening. The other night, at my best friends mothers engagement, I went from over the moon to a panic attack in about 10 minutes...

OK I'm definitely going to see a doctor/therapist, but not for a few days. Opinions?

- Vergil

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius Scribonius Curio
    Again, Thanks for all the replies.

OK new question...

Just throwing it out there, anyone know anything about bipolar disorder?
    Over the past year, 6-7 people have suggested that I might have it. Latest was one of my friends who suggested that I should go talk to her therapist. I think I might. I've been doing some reading and may have some (OK a lot) of the symptoms.

Thing is the gap between highs and lows is supposed to be in the order of months, or at leasts weeks. I regularly go from an excellent mood in the morning, to hating myself in the afternoon and then back again by the evening. The other night, at my best friends mothers engagement, I went from over the moon to a panic attack in about 10 minutes...

OK I'm definitely going to see a doctor/therapist, but not for a few days. Opinions?
    My brother has Bipolar and it's a tough disorder to diagnose, but if you have really rapid mood swings you may want to get it checked out. I'm not entirely sure what the other symptoms are though because when he had it really bad back in his teens I wasn't really in the loop/was a kid so I didn't quite get it.

Good luck, hopefully therapy will be enough. From my experience with my brother I bet you don't have it quite as bad as he did, he had to be hospitalized a couple of times before he was out of middle school or elementary school, one of the two. As I said I was young.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Thanks for the quick reply. If I do its not too bad, just strange and confusing. I might be overreacting, I mean people have been saying it for a while but I didn't bother about it, did some reading and thought, omg these symptoms sound like my life! But its not affecting my life too much, just every now and again I'm really confused. Its the 'mania' part that made me sit up and take notice. A lot of the time, particularly at work, I'm hyperactive, talk way too much, flirt like anything, and am constantly on edge. My friends at work that know me outside work are genuinely confused at my seemingly complete personality change, and I am too. Its definitely not deliberate!!!

On the other hand my mother reckons I'm a hypercondriac (she wasn't here when I did my knee and ws on my own for a week, that might have changed her mind, driving, working, walking the dog twice a day when you can't straighten your leg is a bit painful!) but to be fair I probably am overreacting.

- Vergil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast