Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stele #6: Pergamon

Default Re: Stele #6: Pergamon

The Ptolemies indeed had a complex titulature. They understood their dynasty as "Alexander down to whomever ruled at the time," all of whom (after Alexander, at least) were called "Ptolemaios." The kings didn't self-reference themselves by the place that they ruled, but by their ancestors, so calling them the Ptolemaioi is decently close.

EDIT: here's how Ptolemy III phrased it in the Adoulis inscription, from c. 246, following his invasion of Syria in the 3rd Syrian War.

"Great King Ptolemy, son of King Ptolemy and Queen Arsinoe the Brother and Sister Gods, the children of King Ptolemy and Queen Berenike the Savior Gods, descendant on the paternal side of Herakles the son of Zeus, on the maternal of Dionysos the son of Zeus, having inherited from his father the kingdom of Egypt and Libya and Syria and Phoenicia and Cyprus and Lycia and Caria and the Cyclades islands."
    Last edited by paullus; 07-29-2008 at 16:19.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

out of curiosity, is the Nabataean kingdom gonna be in? I really want it as a faction.
    "An army of Sheep led by a Lion will always defeat an army of Lions led by a Sheep"
    -Arabic Military Maxim
    "War doesn't decide who is right, only who is left."
    "In order to test a man's strength of character, do not give him adversity, for any man can handle adversity, but instead give him POWER.
    -Abraham Lincoln
    "A man once asked me who my grandfather was. I told him I didn't know who he was, and didn't care. I cared more about who his grandson will be."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Stele #6: Pergamon

Quote Originally Posted by Majd il-Romani View Post
    out of curiosity, is the Nabataean kingdom gonna be in? I really want it as a faction.
    The team has not revealed their choices for the new factions yet, apart from Pergamon obviously.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    The team has not revealed their choices for the new factions yet, apart from Pergamon obviously.
    Incidently, when's the next Stele?

Soon?

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by Che Roriniho View Post
    Incidently, when's the next Stele?
    Seriously? I mean, we did just release a bunch of historical battles. You think you could wait a month or something before you start inquiring about stelai.

I can understand Che's view of the situation.

He probably thought that there were an EB1 and EB2 team working apart from eachother or something like that.
    This space intentionally left blank.

well, and its not like we aren't working on the next stele right now. If things go well, it could be out before the end of August.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

... what paullus means is that "it could be out before the end of August ... 2010!"

Phew! Saved that one, I think.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Don't worry about any more Stelai; just spring EB II on us one day; most of us will still be alive.
    Or at least half

I fear they might die of a heart attack soon thereafter though.

I agree. I'd better get a new life-insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    I can understand Che's view of the situation.

He probably thought that there were an EB1 and EB2 team working apart from eachother or something like that.
    No, but it has been 3 months. Not that I'm complaining, as I'm just dipping my toe in modding (One day, I WILL become an EB member! I WILL!), and it's going alright, considering my computer was old when I got it 2 years ago, and to be honest, I'm amazed that any of you can even attempt to make something like EBII. Here's to you!

Alright. No harm done.

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros View Post
    Besides, at the start of EB Attalos hadn't been born.
    Hmm to my knowledge the name attalid is not derived from Attalos I, but rather from Attalos the father of Philetaerus, grandfather of Eumenes I and great grandfather of Attalos I, since these 3 rulers are only connected familywise through this "Attalos".

Anyway the person named Attalos that the attalids were named after were dead and gone long before the game starts, so no problem there. If the name kingdom of pergamon or attalids is most suited i really dont know, but seems to me that during this period, rulers put more focus on who they decented from, than what they ruled.

Very good choice...I only wonder about what will Pontos do with this limited space! :(

I can't find a cool signature yet!

Struggle?

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi View Post
    Struggle?
    That is so ahistorical. Historically, Pontus should quickly wtfpwn everyone in the region and engulf the Black Sea, building up for the mighty battles against AS And Ptolies!
    BLARGH!

Well...I know it is probably hard to represent Pontos in a game like R:TW or EB...
    For example the fall of Sinope to Pontos is in 183 BC. Kings of Pontos tried to take the city before 183 BC but they failed again and again. But you can take easily take it in the beginning! If not...you will have great financial problems!... But Sinope was very strong city-state in her time. Well but i thing with free upkeep possibility (both from cities and permanet forts) this may be solved...
    We will wait and see :D

I can't find a cool signature yet!

Excellent - i had migrated Epeiros as Pergamon before and had a great game - going to be great having them as a proper faction!

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

This is the third thread this week that has been resurrected after more than 4 months of being dead! what is happening?
    Last edited by Cyrus; 04-08-2009 at 00:36.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    This is the third thread this week that has been resurrected after more than 4 months of being dead! what is happening?
    Perhaps people are just looking at the EBII previews and saying how much they are looking forward to EBII. I can't see anything wrong with that...

--> - Never near Argos - <--

No that's not what i meant..... i just said it's the third, not that i'm sick of it happening.

Italians do it better! Chi dice donna dice guai. Abbi donna di te minore, se vuoi essere signore. Donne e buoi dei paesi tuoi. Fiume, grondaia e donna parlatora mandano l'uomo di casa fuora.
    And my personal favorite: "Non rimuovere il confine antico fissato dai tuoi padri". In english: "Do not remove the anchent border placed by your fathers". It looses something in the translation......

Sorry if i contributed to any recent vamping - would have posted months ago, but i only just stopped lurking recently

Diairei kai basileue

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Noli nothis permittere te terere.

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elcmar View Post
    Excellent - i had migrated Epeiros as Pergamon before and had a great game - going to be great having them as a proper faction!
    Indeed, I've done the same with EB 1.0, 1.1 and now 1.2. There's something distinctly satisfying about playing as a Hellenistic power centred in Asia Minor and beating all the other Hellenistic superpowers nearby (Seleukids, Ptolemies, Makedonians). Helps that it's a densely populated and resource-rich area, too. Recreating the Thracian Kingdom provides a neat motivation as well, giving expansion a historic underpinning rather than just grabbing land for its own sake. I also like that they're not just another boring "pikemen and heavy cavalry" style of military.

I'm looking forward to playing EB2 as Pergamon a lot more than I might once have anticipated doing a grand historical Roman game. When EB2 finally appears, I'll get round to getting a new machine and buying M2:TW, neither of which I have any reason to own at present.

Yeah, I necro'd this thread, reading it again from the link on the main Previews thread.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

i don't think there is anything wrong with "necroing" an official preview
    so at least all the new guys around get to see the good old stuff from time to time
    and this preview is very well written indeed
    Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke,
    Daß wir unsrer Väter wert,
    fest in Eintracht und in Friede
    bauen unseres Glückes Herd;
    Daß der Freund da Hilfe finde,
    Wehrhaft uns der Gegner schau,
    Wo die Rauten-Banner wehen,
    Unsre Farben – Weiß und Blau!

Quote Originally Posted by fightermedic View Post
    i don't think there is anything wrong with "necroing" an official preview
    so at least all the new guys around get to see the good old stuff from time to time
    and this preview is very well written indeed
    Plus original authors get to realize that their hotlinked images don't work, such as the lack of a Faction Symbol, and can hence replace them with properly hotlinked and updated images!
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

This act of necromancy astonished me when I realized EBII is over two years old already!

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Did I read correctly elsewhere that the primary overhand spear/secondary sword bug was still in effect in M2:TW?
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Yes you did. it's not a major issue though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast