Thread: Prince of Persia

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

Default Prince of Persia

I've been playing Warrior Within a lot lately, and figured I'd ask since I'm bored.

Anyone got any interesting theories as to where the Prince learned to fight like that?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Default Re: Prince of Persia

Wasn't he really athletic as a kid? That would be my guess.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198
    I've been playing Warrior Within a lot lately, and figured I'd ask since I'm bored.

Anyone got any interesting theories as to where the Prince learned to fight like that?
    You mean the style in WW? Or just in general?
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by makaikhaan
    You mean the style in WW? Or just in general?
    In general. Aside from some added moves and abilities, he fought in the same basic agility/technique-based martial art in all three games. The only difference between the games was that in The Sands of Time, he was nothing more than a punk kid with fancy moves, but in Warrior Within and The Two Thrones he was a battle-hardened bad-@$$ who would slit your throat just for the heck of it.
    Since the games take place in a mythical universe, I'd be inclined to think that he learned from the Greek Amazons of Asia Minor, seeing as the style and technique clearly emphasises speed, agility, and balance while opposing an overuse of brute force.
    Not many warrior women would have the strength to just tackle an armor-clad hoplite or legionary to the ground to pound him to death, right?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWar
    I prefer the first one.
    I definitly enjoyed The Sands of Time, too. My use of the word "punk" wasn't meant in an insulting context, I just meant that he was very inexperienced in combat, that's all.
    I especially like that sword he's shown using in the screenshots on the back of the box.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UltraWar
    I prefer the first one.
    Ya. WW is a good game but it's kinda ironic how persuing a more adult experience ends up makes it more kiddie. It grows on you if you let it but my first reaction was what the.........

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Ya. WW is a good game but it's kinda ironic how persuing a more adult experience ends up makes it more kiddie. It grows on you if you let it but my first reaction was what the.........
    I liked WW more, though, because the combat was less restrictive. There were parts in the first one where I'd have so many enemies swamping me that every time I'd take one down and go to kill it, another would get in the way and give it time to regenerate.
    That really ticked me off.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Two Thrones was the best- combined best parts of Sands and WW, imo, capturing better atmosphere and dialogue, while having pretty sweet combat as well.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

SoT was really charming and certainly my favourite. The sequence towards the end is pure brilliance and was completely unexpected. One of the best modern games ever.

WW is very close, and I liked it far more than some seemed to. The over-the-top angry Prince is intentional - it makes for a very subtle transformation over the length of the game, where he comes to regret his goal of killing the Empress when he realizes they're both in the same boat. Only problem I had was the sometimes slightly too free-roaming nature of the game, annoying due to the crap map.

TT is at best okay. I felt they didn't know what they wanted. Plot is decent but misses the unpredictability of the previous games. Main problem is the gameplay. When it's good, it's perfect, some of the best of the series. But there are so many unbalanced moments, certainly in the Dark Prince parts. And they completely screwed up the perfect rewind mechanic from the previous games. You don't get it for ages, and when you do it's far too limited in use, so you end up loading often anyway, certainly in some of the more frustrating sequences.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Another plus of WW is that the Prince actually wore armor, too (and an interestingly designed cuirass, at that). In a gaming world where seemingly every action-oriented male lead will fight bare-chested like a Frank Miller Spartan, that's kind of rare.