Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panda Humans

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Panda Humans

Just wanted to share this epic frame I saved while I was watching Planet Earth - Mountains.

I'm left speechless thinking that they are about to go extinct because of their preferences mostly, while they seem utterly depressed with being a panda. It's as if some human being was cursed to be one of them in the very beginning and they are carrying that grief over generations. Unwillingly alive, yet caring better than most of humankind.

White Panther (Legalize Weed!) Member AlexanderSextus's Avatar

Default Re: Panda Humans

I'm left speechless thinking that they are about to go extinct because of their preferences mostly, while they seem utterly depressed with being a panda. It's as if some human being was cursed to be one of them in the very beginning and they are carrying that grief over generations. Unwillingly alive, yet caring better than most of humankind.

RLY??? can you elaborate on these causes for the extinction? sounds interesting.
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Their diet is fully based on bamboo, hence can only live in bamboo-concentrated areas. Also these animals suffer from their reluctance to reproduce.

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    Their diet is fully based on bamboo, hence can only live in bamboo-concentrated areas. Also these animals suffer from their reluctance to reproduce.
    Pandas have a carnivore's anatomy, making their predominantly bamboo-based diet ridiculously illogical and unsuitable. While they sometimes supplement this with whatever meat they can find, they get little benefit from the majority of their diet. It's as though lions suddenly decided the majority of their diet shall consist of grass, however unsuited their bodies were for that food source.

Aye. And as being zoologically "bears" they can't even hibernate during winter because of their diet. Your statement pretty much decribes it.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Seems evolution messed up a little bit then, huh. Pity, since they are such beautiful animals.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

With all due respect to China and these amazing animals, I doubt they will go extinct. The Capitalist Commie Republic of China and their hippie leaders aren't that dumb to let this incredible bear go extinct.

But they are amazing creatures!
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

So it's like humans being Vegans?

Quote Originally Posted by Narrator
    I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.
    I saw the panda exhibit in the Atlanta zoo. The giant pandas are overrated, red pandas are waaaaay cuter.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Member thankful for this post:

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Their diet is fully based on bamboo, hence can only live in bamboo-concentrated areas.
    And whose fault is it that there are fewer bamboo-heavy areas? Not the Pandas' that's for sure.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    With all due respect to China and these amazing animals, I doubt they will go extinct. The Capitalist Commie Republic of China and their hippie leaders aren't that dumb to let this incredible bear go extinct.

But they are amazing creatures!

They did recently kill off the only fresh water species of dolphin.

My kingdom for a .

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    I believe there are three species of freshwater dolphins (two excluding the Chinese river dolphin), one in India, the other in the Amazon....
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    And whose fault is it that there are fewer bamboo-heavy areas? Not the Pandas' that's for sure.
    They eat ALLOT
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Panda Humans

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Default Re: Re : Panda Humans

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoyoma1910 View Post
    It wasn't the Chinese government (as funny as it sounds, I know)-they'd been trying to save the Baiji since the 1970's. but their efforts were, to put it bluntly, too late. by the 1970's, there weren't more than a few hundred of these things. by the time all the measures were in place, there were none reported in the wild. And no, I'm not supporting the Chinese government, for the record.

and there are more than 1 species-there are in fact 3 more: Amazon River dolphin, the La Plata dolphin, and the lulz-worthy south Asian ones.

as to Pandas: couldn't care less. a species that is composed of a population of prudes who have a bad diet, and are demonstrably stupid (mentally) have pretty much condemned themselves to extinction-like many other over-specialized animals since the dawn of Earth's bio-history. (and srsly, what species is this prudish as a population?).

having said that: if we as humans think they're cute (I frankly don't get it), then we can always domesticate them or sth....srsly, I don't see what is so cute about them.....
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 02-08-2012 at 21:43.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    It wasn't the Chinese government (as funny as it sounds, I know)-they'd been trying to save the Baiji since the 1970's. but their efforts were, to put it bluntly, too late. by the 1970's, there weren't more than a few hundred of these things. by the time all the measures were in place, there were none reported in the wild. And no, I'm not supporting the Chinese government, for the record.

and there are more than 1 species-there are in fact 3 more: Amazon River dolphin, the La Plata dolphin, and the lulz-worthy south Asian ones.

as to Pandas: couldn't care less. a species that is composed of a population of prudes who have a bad diet, and are demonstrably stupid (mentally) have pretty much condemned themselves to extinction-like many other over-specialized animals since the dawn of Earth's bio-history. (and srsly, what species is this prudish as a population?).

having said that: if we as humans think they're cute (I frankly don't get it), then we can always domesticate them or sth....srsly, I don't see what is so cute about them.....
    It's a well known fact that panda's are cute. Did you skip your childhood?

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Pandas have a carnivore's anatomy, making their predominantly bamboo-based diet ridiculously illogical and unsuitable. While they sometimes supplement this with whatever meat they can find, they get little benefit from the majority of their diet. It's as though lions suddenly decided the majority of their diet shall consist of grass, however unsuited their bodies were for that food source.
    I get your point, but the thing is (a) this is not such an unusual evolutionary development; and (b) they evolved from a species that could readily digest plants to begin with. Bears are not exclusively carnivorous, they can (and often do, due to the peculiarities of their habitat) go herbivorous for months on end.

For a comparison Tyrannosaurs developed herbivorous Meso-American offspring.

For a much weirder evolutionary dead end, consider that species of ape which losts its insulating fur... and then migrated to occupy lots of cold places...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    For a comparison Tyrannosaurs developed herbivorous Meso-American offspring.
    this I have to see, as looking in all the databases available to me, I haven't found any. I've seen Coelurosaurs that evolved into herbivores, but not from the Tyrannosauroidea, which were exclusively carnivorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunk Clown View Post

no, not really. and I'm not sure if it is a "fact". I've never found them to be cute-not even as a kid. They've always come across as that lazy animal munching on bamboo, too prudish to have sex and make kids, which somehow ended up as the logo for the WWF (no, not the wrestling federation).
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 02-08-2012 at 22:23.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

this I have to see, as looking in all the databases available to me, I haven't found any. I've seen Coelurosaurs that evolved into herbivores, but not from the Tyrannosauroidea, which were exclusively carnivorous.
    Yes you are right, my mistake.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Red Pandas are waaaaay cuter.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I've never found them to be cute-not even as a kid. They've always come across as that lazy animal munching on bamboo, too prudish to have sex and make kids, which somehow ended up as the logo for the WWF (no, not the wrestling federation).
    That's what you were thinking when you were a kid? You are sure you did not skip childhood? :O

And yes Red pandas are cute too. But I don't compare them; there's time for both.
    Last edited by Drunk Clown; 02-09-2012 at 18:04.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Red Pandas are waaaaay cuter.
    that I agree with. they just soooo adorable! :D

if only I could have a legal pet!

That's what you were thinking when you were a kid? You are sure you did not skip childhood? :O

And yes Red pandas are cute too. But I don't compare them; there's time for both.
    well, no, but I don't have to think they are cute-because I don't.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

This is a myth that Pandas are prudish, it is merely hard to get them to mate in captivity.

Also seeing as it's China there is not much truly open wild space for Pandas so they suffer from a distressed enviroment. An animal will delay or even stop reproduction IF it's enviroment is not conducive to reproduction.

Also they need a big range as Bamboo will flower and die off over large areas regular enough(a problem in China again).

Also the idea they are stupid must be questioned this is highly subjective idea, they are evolved for there enviroment and they have no to low predators hence they seem lazy etc but if they were stupid they would never have evolved at all in the first place.

Overspecialization is a problem as you correctly point out but we are the reason there dieing off, we changed there environment too quickly on them we could take a darwinian view on it but that may come back on us one day.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Yes. Imagine a mutation in tea causing its leaves to suddenly become much more toxic and fatal to humans when taken with milk. That would kill off nearly the entire CofE if not Britain...
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 02-10-2012 at 12:16.
    - Tellos Athenaios

After 4 years, Pandas are still cute and I find their reluctance to reproduce somewhat charming, makes me think that they are intelligent and make choices against nature.

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    This is a myth that Pandas are prudish, it is merely hard to get them to mate in captivity.

Also seeing as it's China there is not much truly open wild space for Pandas so they suffer from a distressed enviroment. An animal will delay or even stop reproduction IF it's enviroment is not conducive to reproduction.

Also they need a big range as Bamboo will flower and die off over large areas regular enough(a problem in China again).

Also the idea they are stupid must be questioned this is highly subjective idea, they are evolved for there enviroment and they have no to low predators hence they seem lazy etc but if they were stupid they would never have evolved at all in the first place.

Overspecialization is a problem as you correctly point out but we are the reason there dieing off, we changed there environment too quickly on them we could take a darwinian view on it but that may come back on us one day.
    well strictly speaking, you are right-they're not really prudish. of course, I can still make fun of them .

but yeah, I concede that point.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

Pandas seem like very delicate creatures

I heard though, like any other wild animal, or bear for that matter, they aren't as delicate when upset

Not a panda, the above, but I wanted to continue the theme.
    Silence is beautiful

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

So I see we have a bunch of pandaphiles here.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Here's a documentary for LEN.

BBC Natural World - Panda Makers

It seems they've perfected the science of breeding and raising panda in captivity, even if they have to resort to artificial methods to do it. Article 1 and 2 on Tao Tao, a captive-bred panda released into the wild last year.

For LEN: that panda mother unwilling to part with her baby is absolutely adorable.

As soon as I get home where Youtube is not blocked as it is here at work, I will watch that, thank you already, Pano-sama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast