Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Question Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Well, should we? My instinct is to say "no," then turn around, spit, and shout, "Hell no!"

Does anybody want to make a cogent argument that we should?
    Last edited by Lemur; 11-11-2008 at 23:48.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default Re: Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

I will drive up there and dismantle the factories myself.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Care to give a link? I'm afraid this story hasn't made it to the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I will drive up there and dismantle the factories myself.
    In your Chevy pickup?
    This space intentionally left blank

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Australia is going througha similar thing at the moment and we have decided to bail them out. I'm torn on this - there are a lot of jobs at stake, but on the other hand I loathe Corporate Welfare. I would not mind if there was a partial-nationalisation as part of the deal, that way the people get more out of it once this recession is over with. Also, doing something like what Obama is suggesting whereby the manufacturers have to produce cleaner, more efficient cars would be a great step. If those two things were met, I would support this. Until then it just seems like bailing out the wrong people.

@ PBI - http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/us...er=rss&emc=rss
    Last edited by CountArach; 11-11-2008 at 23:58.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Part of me says yes. The Chrysler bailout was actually profitable to the taxpayer back in the day, and the impact on employment should they fail would be huge. But this has been on the horizon for a while now, and I'm thinking Detroit deserves to burn. For years, they scratched, clawed, and lobbied against changes that would have made them more competitive today.

Had this been isolated or six months sooner), I would say yes. Everyone knew it was coming, and GM/Ford would have been better candidates in my mind for a bailout than AIG and the FMs (and the bailout is going superbly there ). I'm just don't think we (the taxpayers) can afford it now. But I'm sure our new overlords (and their union backers) will find a way. It's been a while since we've had a tariff war, let's fund the bailout with a 25% tax on foreign cars.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?
    No, absolutely not. They're already getting $25 billion as an incentive to make cars that they should've already been making to begin with, and now they want $75 billion more? Forget it.

Let them go bankrupt- that doesn't mean they'll go out of business, it means they'll have to restructure their business, renegotiate their contracts... basically figure out ways to be profitable that don't involve going to the federal government, hat in hand.

Of course, the "renegotiate their contracts" item is the exact reason why they will get a bailout. The Democrats owe the unions too much not to give them this. Yet another industry that we'll be told is "too big to fail".....
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Bloody Infantry View Post
    Care to give a link? I'm afraid this story hasn't made it to the UK.
    Sorry, there's so much out there I had a hard time deciding on a single link to post.

Motley Fool: Why We Shouldn't Bail Out Detroit

AFP: Struggling U.S. Carmakers Say They Can't Wait for Obama Presidency

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Unsure on this.... edging towards CA's general position... the goverment must get something out of the money... and cleaner and effecient cars....

What if anything do you get from the $25 billion ?

or is it just a blank cheque with a note saying please don't fire anyone...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I don't know.

A failing economy is like the story "alive". Everybody was struggling with life and starvation. Because a few people died early on, the others were able to nourish themselves on the flesh of the dead and gain back some of their energy to tide them over until they were rescued.

Zombie Apocalypse

I own a crap load of GM shares. I hope Ford goes out of business so that GM can then feast on the corpses of their market share, assembly lines and, of course, their workers delicious corpses. In every industry we, deep down, hope for a nuclear holocaust to happen to the competition. If they would only die, we might live.

Then again, Ford people are saying the same thing about us and there is always the risk.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 11-12-2008 at 01:45.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    I own a crap load of GM stocks.
    Yeah, me too. Got lots of them.

When you buy a sandwhich here they wrap 'em in paper made of GM stocks.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Re: Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Yeah, me too. Got lots of them.

When you buy a sandwhich here they wrap 'em in paper made of GM stocks.
    Hehehe. they have already sent me through college with no debt, and bought me a 2005 Altima, so I can't complain.

They were purchased 30 years ago.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    In your Chevy pickup?
    My F-150 which will be paid off here soon enough due to my diligence as stock boy. If I can do it so can they!

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

The auto companies deserve it more than AIG. But, we're probably throwing good money after bad. Think they will be profitable two years from now? I doubt it.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*sigh

On the one hand, I'd really rather that a company fail who deserves to fail.

On the other hand, the economy can only take *so* many shocks, before all confidence in the markets completely dissolves. Either way, its a bad deal for America.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    My F-150 which will be paid off here soon enough due to my diligence as stock boy. If I can do it so can they!
    My wife drives an F-150. Good for you on the payoff!
    This space intentionally left blank

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Well, should we? My instinct is to say "no," then turn around, spit, and shout, "Hell no!"

Does anybody want to make a cogent argument that we should?
    Exactly.

Every time we bail out one of these ******* the rest get the idea they'll be saved too.

The motley fool article you linked makes very good points why we definitely should not. Nationalization is stupid too, because then the government will be in charge of (and even more loath to change) the completely obsolete business model.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Why is this a question?

Michigan voted heavily for Obama, as did Pennsylvania and a good chunk of the old "rust belt."

In short, where labor unions still retain some strength of numbers, the Dems did very well.

The Dems will, shortly, have an easy majority in both halves of Congress and a Dem president.

The question is NOT should it, but will it happen this year or early next.

Tally up the cost and move on, this one's a done deal.

Of COURSE we shouldn't -- but its no longer up for evaluation.
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 11-12-2008 at 05:11.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Why is this a question?

Michigan voted heavily for Obama, as did Pennsylvania and a good chunk of the old "rust belt."

In short, where labor unions still retain some strength of numbers, the Dems did very well.

The Dems will, shortly, have an easy majority in both halves of Congress and a Dem president.

The question is NOT should it, but will it happen this year or early next.

Tally up the cost and move on, this one's a done deal.

IM TO YOUNG TO HAVE ULCERS

Smile Re: Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Here is where you see how far left I have become in recent months. This is a letter I sent to Reid, Pelosi, Biden, Obama, My Congressperson and both Senators:

Dear *****,

Regarding the American Auto Industry, the Democratic Congress has an opportunity to solve a myriad of serious problems simultaneously. Among these are dependence on foreign sources of energy, lagging American share of the automobile market and an industry on the verge of failure with vast economic repercussions, and global warming.

There exists a straightforward solution which our government may seize upon to change the course of direction and reshape the national dialogue.

American automakers seek a government funded bailout. It is here proposed that this bailout be provided with the following condition: A consumer-use vehicle must be offered that virtually eliminates the need for gasoline. This vehicle must be initially affordable to more than 50% of all Americans.

Imagine our country leading the world in green technology, away from fossil fuels, and towards energy independence. Imagine an American auto industry reinvigorated, leading domestic and global sales.

But what will be the choice of fuel? As many as possible. A vehicle that may be recharged and/or refueled with as many options as possible allows for the market to determine which fuel is most cost-effective. Energy stations may replace gasoline stations, offering ethanol, quick charge hydrogen, or even compressed air (http://www.mdi.lu/english/produits.php).

This is an opportunity that can not be wasted. Please redirect our auto market and provide the capital to allow America to lead the world once again.

Respectfully Yours,

Bob Goldthwait, MBA
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Absolutely not. The american auto industry is chrashing and burning for a reason, they produce inferior cars nobody wants. if you decide to give them money now, you'll just face the exact same situation in a few years.

The only way to turn things around is to produce better cars that people would want to buy. Like the cars Toyota, BMW, Mercedes, etc, are making.

If you do decide to save them, make sure you buy them, so you can fire the idiots currently running things and hire some competent people, and pocket the future profits.

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff View Post
    Hehehe. they have already sent me through college with no debt, and bought me a 2005 Altima, so I can't complain.
    Again I am reminded how nice it is to live in a country where an education at the very best university costs about 10 bucks
    Last edited by HoreTore; 11-12-2008 at 11:12.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

IMO there's three more or less valid different options.

Either hell no as Lemur so elequently put it. Most valid, as the market won't change and the companies will die later on anyway unless they change and feeding them goverment money won't change that. If they don't, then so be it, Sweden doesn't have a shipyard industry anymore for a reason.

It's also possible with nationalisation, if the intended goal is to force a change (or going with DA:s example). If successful then probably the best option, but probably the least certain option as the companies can fail anyway. Of course, this is the US so the odds for it to even be considered....

Or bail them out as you consider the loss of jobs to great atm (there's a chain effect that will ripple through the suppliers). Keeps the fired ones that can't get a new job quickly out of welfare. As this is supposed to somewhat valid option, that means to you do it and counts with it to be delaying the problem, that the companies will fail later on. Should they not, then you're happy that things turned out much better than expected. Hoping for something more is going into La-La-land.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma View Post
    Respectfully Yours,

Bob Goldthwait, MBA
    Loved you in Shakes The Clown.

From what I've heard and read about, one of Detroit's biggest problems (apart from the crappy cars) is the benefits the employees get. How much do corporations pay into the national health care of, say, Japan? Is socialized medicine, in effect, a corporate subsidy?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divinus Arma View Post
    Here is where you see how far left I have become in recent months. This is a letter I sent to Reid, Pelosi, Biden, Obama, My Congressperson and both Senators:
    Yeah... we already gave them $25 billion for that. They want more.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Is socialized medicine, in effect, a corporate subsidy?

I remember this being mentioned the other day.... it is kind of ironic how a national health service actually helps business by not pursuing them directly for thier own employee's health care...

Ironside, out of those option 2 would be my personal choice (though not goverment run, just a shareholder) with Div's plan being paticularly good, option 3 is the way it is going to go, i just don't see anything else happening, option 1 probably being preferable to option 3 but not as good as 2....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Is socialized medicine, in effect, a corporate subsidy?
    Not necessarily as one way or the other somebody has to pay for "socialized" healthcare. This might be via the taxes that the companies pay or - like in Germany - they pay their share of the mandatory public health insurance for each individual employee (in Germany employer and employee each pay 50% of the cost of the health insurance).

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    university costs about 10 bucks
    And soon the value of GM stocks will be just enough to pay for that - go figure

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

No, the biggest problem with the automakers is that worker wages and benefits are way too high compared to those of competitors. Unless the US automakers suddenly rise to the top of the auto industry and drive out the Japanese and Europeans, I see no way for them to compete well unless they address their fundamental problems first
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

As with so many of America's economic problems, they are the result of the mismanagement of billionaire CEO's and conservative governments, most notably, and starting with, Ronald Reagan.

American cars are and everybody knows it. Poor design, poor quality, unreliable, gas-guzzling. For three decades now, one can buy a Japanese car that costs half the money and is twice as reliable. The workers are there to screw on bolts, so the management alone is responsible for this. However, I never hear them talk about lowering their billionaire wages. Instead, the management whines about unionised wages and pension schemes.

The odd thing about the crisis of the Big Three, is that they are not outcompeted by foreign manufacturers, but by foreign companies operating and manufacturing cars within the US. This is the legacy of Ronald Reagan, the man who together with the billionaire CEO's is responsible for the demise of the Big Three.
    When the Japanese first started to outcompete Americn companies, Reagan donned himself in an American flag and urged Americans to 'buy American!!1!'. Patriots bought it hook, line and sinker. This had a devastating impact on the competetiveness of the American automobile industry. It allowed Detroit to stick to their motto 'Small cars mean small profits'.

Worse yet was Reagan's Voluntary Restraint Agreement. This placed 'voluntary' import restrictions on Japanese imports. This had two devastating effects. First, demand for foreign cars kept rising, the supply stayed the same. with absolutely soaring profit margins as a result for foreign companies. The bill was footed by American families. Secondly, if the Japanese couldn't export, they had to manufacture domestically (in the US). This they could easily afford from those huge profits the Voluntary Restraint Agreement allowed them. While Detroit slept, lulled into a false sense of safety by their close alliance with Washington, the Japanese companies ninja'd them and beat them from within.

Currently, most foreign companies operating within the US pay the same union wages and benefits as the American companies do. Yet Toyota produces better cars, with higher profit margins. Their huge lead in design and production has been maintained while Detroit slept, their pockets are much deeper now so they can maintain their lead. And the result of all this we see now.

So I say no bailout. Cars bought in America are still produced in America. So the workers are perfectly secure in their employment. They can simply switch company.
    Any bailout therefore is a bailout for the CEO's, the people who destroyed America's industry and who rewarded themselves for it by forever higher, excessive salaries, sometimes into the thousands more than the average manual labourer.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Unhappy Re: Re : Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Any bailout therefore is a bailout for the CEO's, the people who destroyed America's industry and who rewarded themselves for it by forever higher, excessive salaries, sometimes into the thousands more than the average manual labourer.
    No offense, my friend, but do you realize who owns these large companies? They are publicly traded.

I own GM and Ford. So do many retirees. So does just about anyone invested in S&P500-following fund vehicles via 457s and 401ks. (These are American private retirements that are established by an employing organization, sometimes with matching funds.)
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Should We Bail Out the U.S. Auto Industry?

Don't forget the union bosses, Louis. Or the congressmen and Senators the Big 3 bought out.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast