Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A sad day

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: A sad day

You did a great job as long as it lasted. See you around, hopefully

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My trips into the backroom infrequent, my knowledge about politics and how to prove my point nonexisitant. One thing was always certain. The backroom mods. I knew at least one person wouldn't skip everything I wrote, even if they were just checking for warning points etc.

Now You're Gone: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IgFwiCApH7E
    By Basshunter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    My trips into the backroom infrequent, my knowledge about politics and how to prove my point nonexisitant. One thing was always certain. The backroom mods. I knew at least one person wouldn't skip everything I wrote, even if they were just checking for warning points etc.

Now You're Gone: http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IgFwiCApH7E
    By Basshunter.
    Basshunter is hilarious. I was expecting some hillbilly fishing and singing country music. He really didn't think about how that name could translate outside of freezing dark world, even though he made the effort in English.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 01-14-2009 at 17:50.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I will miss the frequent appearance of the twin blades.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

I felt I should say something profound, couldn't think of anything until I realised:

Thanks for putting up with my youth, my impatience, and my sometimes unruly ego.

"If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

The mold was broken once Kukri was made. many blessings to you my friend, we shall meet again.
    RIP Tosa

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

You guys humble me. Thank you for the kind words. Really. I did not know I had such effect.

The truth is: it's about you guys, not me.

YOU (all) decided to try to rise above the petty bickering and insults, and finger-pointing that usually goes on in the so-called "spirited internet discussions". I merely tried to help you achieve that. That we've, together, been even a little successful is because YOU made the effort.

Thank you for that, from the bottom of my deep, dark, black heart. It's YOUR cooperation, and YOUR support that made any progress we've made, possible. And it's why I've kept coming back to this org place, and this backroom den of iniquity () for almost a decade.

YOU (yes, I mean you Mister backroom reader-poster who is reading this post right now) make a difference. YOU can and will change things for the better. Make more light, less heat; more signal, less static. YOU, mostly young fellas, in 20 years, will lead the world, from your own little corner of it. Get ready. (And throw a bone to we older guys once in awhile; we've not done a great job of advancing human civilization, but we've kept the boat afloat).

I've retired from Moderating (because I need more freetime to resume my uni education, after a 25-year break) but you lot will still be cursed by my hanging around. Because I can't leave the place, anymore than you can. We don't solve many problems here, but By Jimminy, we certainly examine them from every conceivable point-of-view - so I learn something here every day, and little lights dawn in my lizard-brain, every day, and things I hadn't thought of reveal themselves here, every day.

Don't stop firing, Lads. I won't either.

Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good to know you're still going to be keeping around, Kukri.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

UNI?!?!?!?!? Chasing girls and drinking beers!!!!! An excellent start to your retirement!!!
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    UNI?!?!?!?!? Chasing girls and drinking beers!!!!! An excellent start to your retirement!!!
    Heh. You fellas have inspired me.

My big plan is to teach your kids about government, history, and politics.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Member Member Beren Son Of Barahi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Heh. You fellas have inspired me.

My big plan is to teach your kids about government, history, and politics.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.
    I couldn't think of a better, more well rounded and thoughtful individual for such an under taking. I would love to have my kids (if their mothers ever find me) learn from someone of your kin.

The true test of a man is not at his great moment, but at his weakest point. -me

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beren Son Of Barahi View Post
    I couldn't think of a better, more well rounded and thoughtful individual for such an under taking. I would love to have my kids (if their mothers ever find me) learn from someone of your kin.

You have seen his placement on the political leanings graph, right?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Best of luck with your studies KukriKhan, and I'm happy to see that you will continue to post here.

The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Opted back to the Backroom to say this to Kukri:

It matters little that KukriKhan won't be a mod any longer. The most important thing is that he will still around the .org.

I salute you Sir.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Hope it all goes well in University for you KK, and to echo what Beren said there is no better rounded person for the job, despite your position on the political compass being practically the opposite of mine i feel you are a fair minded enough person to displace your personal bias in the interests of truth (justice and the american way!)
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Best of luck. And may life treat you well.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

What the hell is a Kukri and why sould I be sad?

Nah, he was a good mod, I'll just let everyone else put up the "Baby come back" links.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I always found Kurki to be the very best sort of mentor. There are those that scold, those that preach, those that flatter and those that cajole.

Then there are those that do.

And you respect them for it. In fact, you respect them so much, you want them to respect you. And then you lose your temper one day and say some things that you only .05% mean. And the Chief has to come talk to you and say "Uh, not telling you your opinion, but are you sure you want to say it quite that way...?" There was no worse feeling in the world than getting a PM from Kukri back in the early days asking me to tone it down a notch or twenty. And no better feeling then when you bit the bullet, apologized, and Kurki led the charge to laud your apology.

He was the first one to honor those who honored others, respect those who respected others.

I believe the Backroom staff is well represented and does a fine job, and will continue to without Kukri. And I wish Kurki-sama well in his studies. I hope he won't forget our little corner of the net.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In many of the forums, I see these serious topics full of insults and spams. But Org is very different from what I often see. In a good way

I avoided the backroom much as I could due to lack of knowledge and logical thinking but I have to congratulate you for making backroom a very nice place to lurk in.

Thank you Kukri. Have a good one and do try to come visit us sometimes
    Last edited by Beefy187; 01-19-2009 at 02:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Blimey Don, I thought you were dead!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Very, very busy with work & fatherhood, but I've been quietly lurking, reading and following when I can. I haven't posted more because frankly, I don't have the time to research issues and therefore, don't have much to contribute.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-19-2009 at 15:32.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone View Post
    Very, very busy with work & fatherhood, but I've been quietly lurking, reading and following when I can. I haven't posted more because frankly, I don't have the time to research issues and therefore, don't have much to contribute.
    "Research" issues? What an odd concept. You do realise this is the Backroom?

Wonderful to see you Don, even if just visiting. You are missed, and greatly so.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Somewhere in California, Kurkri is grumbling over his keyboard and his morning coffee "It's MY going-away thread and this loudmouthed hothead is upstaging ME?!?!" Just kidding, Kukri-sama is way beyond such pettiness. Nice to be missed, thank you for the notice. I've been engaged in some politicing in a different sphere of late, such as the 'impeachment' of Wendlock, the Winter Wizard, who is brought to justice not by a fearless independent prosecutor, but by Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus.

Seriously, I'm contemplating writing an essay comparing the political narrative that gets marketed in the so-called News outlets versus the plots of your average pre-school children's cartoon movie such as Barbie & the Magic of Pegasus or Cars. I suspect the character and plot developments are actually more sophisticated in the latter.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 01-19-2009 at 16:04.

Strike for the South

Heh. Always good to see you, Don-sama. I have always looked forward to anything you have written.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Caravel View Post
    It matters little that KukriKhan won't be a mod any longer. The most important thing is that he will still around the .org.
    QFT.

It'll be odd not seeing him in his moderator's robes -- he was already a giant here when I first signed up. So long as he's still with us, though, we can only benefit from his presence.

Live long and prosper, Kukri-sama. I'll see you around the boards.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Closed at the honoree's request. Thanks again Knifelord.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12