Thread: FarCry2

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default FarCry2

Bought it for PC. Nice, but dumbed down from the first FarCry and not very well executed. A lot of repetitive actions and 'buddy' missions (an element copied from GTA). The scenery is beautiful, but not nearly as interactive as promised by Ubisoft (and as delivered by Crysis and Crysis Warhead, two original Crytek games that supposedly 'inspired' this one). Worst of all, they failed to resolve the 'all-seeing enemy' problem which was the one great weakness of FarCry.

All in all I'd say 6/10.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Default Re: FarCry2

Agreed, a bit of a misbuy for my PS3.
    Had you read our earlier thread on the game, you could have saved money.
    Last edited by Husar; 01-22-2009 at 16:16.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

FarCry2 was the victim for Zero Punctuation for this week. Adrian's assessment is about the same, only without the bad language.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    FarCry2 was the victim for Zero Punctuation for this week. Adrian's assessment is about the same, only without the bad language.
    I love that guy - but I hadn't seen this one yet.

Off to the Escapist site..

That's my boy: "FC2 is a beautiful sandwich with no filling". That's spot on.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 01-23-2009 at 12:58.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Darn. I was hoping for some badass tactical possibilities and intelligent combat when taking on bases and such. That was my favorite part of Farcry 1 by far.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

I'd concur after playing it through. It's a $10 game, maybe $20. Crysis was far, far, FAR better and worth the money.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Far Cry 2 is excellent imho. It's a bit flawed but at least it tries something new. The action is great and it's quite the looker. Good action + fantastic settings equals good game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Far Cry 2 is excellent imho. It's a bit flawed but at least it tries something new. The action is great and it's quite the looker. Good action + fantastic settings equals good game.
    Eh?

What exactly is new about it, except the pyrotechnic effect? The CryEngine is capable of far more physical effects, as witnessed by Crysis and Crysis Warhead (which by the way is spectacular, boys and girls). The action is repetitive and the freaking guard posts become first boring, then intensely irritating. The scenery is fantastic, sure, but it is not essentially different from (let alone better than) Crysis.

And FarCry at least had a nice story which you developed as you went from level to level (and some levels in FarCry were hard to pass even in Normal mode). FC2 has a lame sort of angle, not a story in the real sense, and it never leads to anything. The 'missions' are totally predictable and easy as hell. Going stealth is not an option (even though it is advertized as such) because the enemy always immediately spot you. The NPC's fire guns and mortars through trees and houses and they have nitrous cars that spontaneously pop out of rocks and savannahs. This means you can't plan your attacks. It's no use to play smart at all, because the AI will just pop open another can of mercenaries whenerv it feels like it. So you just walk (or drive) into a place and start shooting until everyone is dead. That's dumb, Fragony. Very, but very dumb.

Oh, and you can't lay the French girl, not even after she works herself into a sweat doing sit-ups in your safe house. That really p'd me off, I tell ya.

Edit
    I do hope that Crytek will develop a line of smart shooters in future. If any studio can, they are it. They have the shooting part pretty much covered with the 'what you see is what you play' CryEngine. So they can afford to concentrate on better story lines and bigger sandboxes, with RPG-like character development worked into it.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 01-23-2009 at 09:52.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Mission structure, doing favors, it doesn't really work out. But it's not that bad a game, better then the first in humble opinion, the horror elements really felt out of place.

Indeed.

While its not perfect, it is far superior to the first Farcry, and you can actually pull off some great stealth tactics. For instance, you fire at enemies, then duck into cover, and circle around to shoot them in the back while they spray your previous location. You couldn't do that in Farcry 1.

It does have issues, such as the annoying checkpoints, and neither "faction" actually fighting each other, just you. But as far as shooters go, there's not much out there with good single player, other than STALKER.
    "Sit now there, and look out upon the lands where evil and despair shall come to those whom thou lovest. Thou hast dared to mock me, and to question the power of Melkor, master of the fates of Arda. Therefore with my eyes thou shalt see, and with my ears thou shalt hear; and never shall thou move from this place until all is fulfilled unto its bitter end". -Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by DisruptorX View Post
    [..] you can actually pull off some great stealth tactics. For instance, you fire at enemies, then duck into cover, and circle around to shoot them in the back while they spray your previous location.
    You must have played a different game then.

Let me give you an example. I approached the Dogon Village in stealth, staking it out carefully, making sure I stayed low, out of sight and out of the sunlight. Nonetheless I was 'spotted' by a gentleman in the back of the village who started firing mortar rounds at me through the walls of the Dogon houses. Excuse me, but that is ridiculous.

Equally ridiculous is the fact that you are killed as soon as an enemy assault truck hits yours.

I'll tell you what's fun and 'do-able' in the way of stealth. Once you are at about 98% of the scenario, the towns' garrisons are lowered and they do not respawn any more. This means you can shoot 'em one by one if you play it smart and exterminate the entire garrison that way. It takes the proper weaponry, skill and patience, but that's what real stealth is about.