Thread: Child marriage in Texas

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Child marriage in Texas

Story

SOUTHLAKE, Texas - From the flowers to the banquet hall, donations poured in to give a North Texas bride the wedding of her dreams.

At Paradise Cove, which is on the shore of Lake Grapevine, family and friends came to celebrate the wedding of nine-year-old Jayla Cooper. It's a wedding that was put together in less than one week.

Watch this story "We didn't expect to do this when she was nine years old, but she has taught us all how to love each other and to be strong," said Lisa Cooper, Jayla's mother.

Jayla has battled leukemia for the past two years. It's a battle that will likely end in a few weeks.

"He is very cute and I love him," Jayla said of the groom, Jose Griggs.

Jose and Jayla met at Children's Medical Center and quickly formed a strong bond.

"He knows what's going on," said Charla Griggs, Jose's mother. "He understands that she is going to a better place."

The young boy's parents said Jayla helped their son with his own battle with illness.

"He's brighter, happier and more content with all that they go through in the hospital," said Lawrence Griggs, Jose's father. "She changed that, brought it all out [and] opened up a side of him I hadn't seen."

The wedding was a celebration of life and friendship.

"I can't explain how I feel right now," Cooper said. "I'm happy, but at the at same time I am sad because I know my child is going to go to heaven with the Lord."

Cooper said she is ready to cherish every small moment with her daughter.

"Show your kids that you love them every moment of your life because you never know," she said.

While it can be understood why they married her off, its still morally wrong to do so. One cannot decry child marriages abroad and in other cultures if its condoned at home.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 02-24-2009 at 16:37.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: Child marriage in Texas

Gonna give this some lattitude

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Was this her own idea or that of her parents? Was it a legal marriage or merely a ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec View Post
    Was this her own idea or that of her parents? Was it a legal marriage or merely a ceremony?

It's a dressup party. Nothing to condemn here.

Senior Member Senior Member Ser Clegane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    It's a dressup party. Nothing to condemn here.
    I agree - the lack of any reference to legal questions or clerical involvement seems to imply that this isn't a "real" wedding.

They even just call it a "celebration of life and friendship" - I would not really compare this one to typical "cild weddings".

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

If you watch the video, they do seem to have a minister there.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    If you watch the video, they do seem to have a minister there.
    Well it has to look real no, don't worry this marriage will be over all too soon.

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Well it has to look real no, don't worry this marriage will be over all too soon.
    This is very tasteless...

To the subject:

I think it is wrong. But it is very very difficult to even think of the family's feelings at the moment. I wish strength and courage to all.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rasoforos View Post

Wasn't meant that way. I have no problems with this, I am amazed some do it's just a play, let them pretend for a day.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gonna give this some lattitude
    Me too. The circumstances are very different from 'child marriages abroad'.

I mean, geez, you'd have to be some kind of cold hearted ******* to deny this to the poor girl.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Why the hell is there a problem with this ?

From the sounds of it its just an OTT fancy dress party which they decided to call a marriage, nothing like some children being married off for life in other countrys. This is simply giving a dieing little girl her special day that she will never experience for real, why anyone would deny her her "wedding" is beyond me...

Obviously though i wouldn't want some kind of goverment recognition for the wedding or any kind of wedding night, as long as its not sexual (which i assume) and has nothing to do with the law (second assumption) then it is perfectly acceptable...
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Corporate Hippie Member rasoforos's Avatar

Wasn't meant that way. I have no problems with this, I am amazed some do it's just a play, let them pretend for a day.
    Sorry if I misunderstood you.
    Αξιζει φιλε να πεθανεις για ενα ονειρο, κι ας ειναι η φωτια του να σε καψει.

http://grumpygreekguy.tumblr.com/

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

This is a disgrace making a mockery of the institution of marriage like this!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    jk btw

It's a nice idea, hope it keeps their spirits up
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Sorry if I misunderstood you.
    no problem

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

To the subject:

I think it is wrong. But it is very very difficult to even think of the family's feelings at the moment. I wish strength and courage to all.

Good for them, I just hope that Jose has a good family and some good mental help to help him through seeing his "wife" die. This will be very tramatic for him. i wonder what his age is...
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 02-25-2009 at 08:12. Reason: Removed blatant trolling
    RIP Tosa

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

I don't think I could look at myself in a mirror if I got angry at a dieing little girl.

It seems to be a relatively harmless dress-up and lacking any true legal sense. In that light if it gives the families a little closure and happiness in this rough time then who am I to disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by Devastatin Dave
    Good for them, I just hope that Jose has a good family and some good mental help to help him through seeing his "wife" die. This will be very tramatic for him. i wonder what his age is...
    Indeed.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Adorable. Something as nice and "fun" as that is the least anyone can do for them.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

The Minister-looking guy, asked Jayla: "Do you promise to be friends with Jose, forever?" in the vid-clip.

No marriage, no contract, no problem.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    The Minister-looking guy, asked Jayla: "Do you promise to be friends with Jose, forever?" in the vid-clip.

No marriage, no contract, no problem.
    Until death do you part?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir View Post
    ...While it can be understood why they married her off, its still morally wrong to do so. One cannot decry child marriages abroad and in other cultures if its condoned at home.
    They did something special to make their daughter's last days a little brighter. They should be commended on it.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett