Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obama; New Type of Hope, Same Type of Stupid (Gun Control)

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Obama; New Type of Hope, Same Type of Stupid (Gun Control)

Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban
    Previous Ban Expired in 2004 During the Bush Administration

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.
    ABC News reports that the Obama administration is going to pursue the same legislation that
    1) Had no effect on crime
    2) Is seen as a step to greater gun control by gun control groups
    3) Took the rights of Americans for no gain
    4) Is unconstitutional
    5) Cost Clinton control of Congress in 1994

So much for 'respecting the second amendment'. I guess you just can't fix stupid. This time, the reasoning isn't even that people are misusing them in our country, but in Mexico. We have to suffer because of foreign criminals. Who thinks the cartels couldn't get weapons easily from corrupt police and military?

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

Default Re: Obama; New Type of Hope, Same Type of Stupid

Hopefully this passes. We need more and more government regulation; it's the quickest way to jade the populace and disenchant people of the virtue of government.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Hopefully this passes. We need more and more government regulation; it's the quickest way to jade the populace and disenchant people of the virtue of government.

Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."
    Let's see. Automatic weapons, illegal. Grenades, illegal. So this is basically another attempt to lose the Southern and Midwestern voters.

I guess I'd better get a few spare mags for my pistol now, before the price shoots up to $150 again....
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post

Let's see. Automatic weapons, illegal. Grenades, illegal. So this is basically another attempt to lose the Southern and Midwestern voters.

I guess I'd better get a few spare mags for my pistol now, before the price shoots up to $150 again....
    Because OBVIOUSLY they're buying their guns in the US, right?

And certainly banning them in the US will stop sale of said weapons in Mexico, right?

I mean, a US company SURELY wouldn't buy assault weapons from, say, India, and ship them to Mexico, right? I mean, it's obvious that companies have our best interests in mind, right?

...Right?

EDIT:
    On a side note, flamethrowers are legal. I heard it on the internet. :D

Maybe I should get one of those.
    Last edited by Sheogorath; 02-26-2009 at 21:05.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    I mean, a US company SURELY wouldn't buy assault weapons from, say, India, and ship them to Mexico, right? I mean, it's obvious that companies have our best interests in mind, right?
    Do have any evidence of large scale arms dealing by US companies or are you simply making stuff up?

Even if there were, this bill would do nothing - not a single thing - to hamper or stop the scenario you described.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    Because OBVIOUSLY they're buying their guns in the US, right?

And certainly banning them in the US will stop sale of said weapons in Mexico, right?

...Right?

EDIT:
    On a side note, flamethrowers are legal. I heard it on the internet. :D

Maybe I should get one of those.
    I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, so here goes again.

Grenades and automatic weapons are ALREADY illegal for the most part. This reinstatement will not stop these weapons from reaching Mexican drug-runners. Proper enforcement of existing laws will. But it's always easier to pass a meaningless law than actually do something about the problem.
    Last edited by drone; 02-26-2009 at 21:27. Reason: grammar
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Maybe this should've been part of the stimulus package. If people think a new AWB is going to pass, gun sales will skyrocket.

This reminds me of the Obama campaign ads that were running at least a couple times an hour around here. They trotted out some hunter who proclaimed that Obama supports the Second Amendment and personal ownership of guns and therefore, he supports Obama. What a load.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Knowing this won't pass I'm not going to feign outrage.

However I will plug my Charity: SOS, Save Our Strike is a grass roots organization lobbying the Org government to provide longtime and most loved member SFTS a stimulus to help him buy various things, like guns and ostrich skin boots. As of right now all of his funds are being drained buy groceries gas and other purchases which he is forced to pay because his parents, after 18 years of love and care booted him 400 miles away. This is an undoubtedly because they don't care about poor people.

His funds are only growing by 1.8% He is in a recession.

Paypal is accepted. So is envelops with money.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Quote Originally Posted by seireikhaan View Post
    Pretty much.

This is a non issue for me. I doubt I'll ever feel the need to own one of these weapons.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But it's always easier to pass a meaningless law than actually do something about the problem.
    We're in recession - this will save money!

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Do have any evidence of large scale arms dealing by US companies or are you simply making stuff up?

Even if there were, this bill would do nothing - not a single thing - to hamper or stop the scenario you described.

CR
    Exactly my point.

I was being hypothetical in this case, since this bill would only directly affect those manufacturing arms and/or selling arms in the US. Thus it would make little sense to include foreign manufacturers and dealers.

As to US companies dealing in Mexico, it's a safe bet at least a few are. It's a nice, big, market right next door. Very difficult to ignore.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, so here goes again.

Grenades and automatic weapons are ALREADY illegal for the most part. This reinstatement will not stop these weapons from reaching Mexican drug-runners. Proper enforcement of existing laws will. But it's always easier to pass a meaningless law than actually do something about the problem.
    I was, indeed, being sarcastic.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

So Obama wants to prevent Mexicans from buying weapons that are already illegal? Have a good time trying to enforce that when we can't even close our own borders. If Americans want to sell Mexicans guns, we'll find a way.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Just as soon as Congress is done bringing back the Fairness Doctrine they'll get right on this.

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Hey maybe all those SKSs I bought for $100 a piece right after the ban expired in 2004 will be worth something now. They sat in a trailer for years, never fired, still covered in petroleum jelly. I've used one and modified it to hold a 30 round magazine,the others are still boxed. I'm gonna be a criminal!!! Maybe I'll sell to the cartel
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Just as soon as Congress is done bringing back the Fairness Doctrine they'll get right on this.
    if they enact that, im moving to china.
    not really though....

i still cant figure out what goes on in the pro-gun control peoples heads.
    cant they understand that gun control only takes away guns from law-abiding people.
    the criminals will get them anyhow if they want them.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 02-27-2009 at 01:41.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

How soon can we expect that do you think?
    So are we going to see formal reimposition of the Fairness Doctrine, or passage of the Screw Rush Limbaugh Act of 2009? Almost certainly not. Is there a measure of none-too-subtle enthusiasm among those with the power to grant or revoke licenses for pressuring broadcasters to introduce more "democratic dialogue" and greater "diversity" of programming? Manifestly. But don't worry, they're not going to call it a Fairness Doctrine.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

Obama's administration supports this, unlike the fairness doctrine.

This is a non issue for me. I doubt I'll ever feel the need to own one of these weapons.
    Our defense of liberty in our country should not be limited to our personal interests. We should try to defend liberty everywhere, and band together to prevent government intrusion on any of our rights.

For example, I rail on against the weakening of the fourth amendment, excessive police force, and the drug war, though I've never smoked pot and never plan too.

Finally - do you ever plan to own a pistol? The 1994 bill banned magazines over 10 rounds for any gun. I've got a compact pistol with a 14 round magazine.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Sounds good to me.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Finally - do you ever plan to own a pistol? The 1994 bill banned magazines over 10 rounds for any gun. I've got a compact pistol with a 14 round magazine.

CR
    You Americans are so dumb. Just take 4 rounds out!

Sounds good to me
    You Would
    Last edited by Strike For The South; 02-27-2009 at 01:47. Reason: Chops needed busting
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

RIP Tosa, my trolling end now Senior Member Devastatin Dave's Avatar

My AK and AR have alrady been "misplaced". Oh well...

I guess Obama is just doing what comes natural to him...

Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA – ordinary citizens don’t need guns, as their having guns doesn’t serve the State. – Heinrich Himmler

Only an armed society can be the real bulwark of popular liberty. – Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. – Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Every good Communist should know that political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. The Communist party must control the guns. – Mao Tse-Tung

On the morrow of each conflict, I gave the … order to confiscate the largest possible number of weapons of every sort and kind. This confiscation, which continues with the utmost energy, has given satisfactory results. – Benito Mussolini

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas? – Joseph Stalin

If the opposition disarms, well and good. If it refuses to disarm, we shall disarm it ourselves. – Joseph Stalin
    RIP Tosa

Finally, he should ban bear arms completely if you ask me. Noone needs them and they're dangerous, like knives.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

husar, i will quote my earlier post....

Quote Originally Posted by hooahguy View Post
    cant they understand that gun control only takes away guns from law-abiding people.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    Only because you would like us all to be peasants under an omniscient government! You would trade the exciting life of liberty for the promise of government security!

husar, i will quote my earlier post....
    It's not about crime. It's about control; liberty offends them.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

personally i cant wait until im 21. i plan on getting a concealed firearms license.
    i go to the shooting range at least once a month....
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

if they enact that, im moving to china.
    not really though....

The same thing that runs through the head of the people that support keeping marijuana illegal; sheer emotion. No rationalisation or debate,just pure emotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooks View Post
    The same thing that runs through the head of the people that support keeping marijuana illegal; sheer emotion. No rationalisation or debate,just pure emotion.
    i am rationalizing the situation.
    heres the situation:
    obama bans guns. lawful people turn thier guns in. crminals dont.
    crime shoots way up.
    if im not mistaken, after DC banned guns the crime rate shot way up?
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Only because you would like us all to be peasants under an omniscient government! You would trade the exciting life of liberty for the promise of government security!
    Glad you put that smilie there
    The idea being that guns don't kill people - but they make it a hell of a lot easier to. That's the simplest way to explain our thought process. They don't just deny them to law-abiding citizens, they deny them to small-time criminals who may not have normally wanted to get serious enough to look for illegal weapons traders.
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

but what about the big time crimnals?
    you cant just assume that the small guy dont want guns. oh, im sure they do. a crime done by a small crook is the same as a crime done by a big crook.
    dont underestimate the small time crooks.
    under estimating in general is a bad thing to do.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 02-27-2009 at 02:04.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

but what about the big time crimnals?
    What about them? They are going to get guns either way, but this way it is going to cost them more and be much harder to get - the black market can still be found-out.
    you cant just assume that the small guy dont want guns.
    If gun control prevents even one rape turning into a rape-murder then I would be happy with gun control.
    under estimating in general is a bad thing to do.
    Like underestimating what the police force is capable of?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast