Thread: I have a couple of noob questions

Default I have a couple of noob questions

Hi all, could anyone be so kind and tell me what the difference between spear militia and town militia is? I checked their stats are identical except for the upkeep. What am I missing?
    Also the Pope called for a crusade against Antioch and I sent my Prince with a big army across the Medditerranian but the Turks intercepted the fleet and sunk it. I tried to send another army, but it says it is too late to join the crusade. Meanwhile the Turks lost Antioch to the Mongols and no other catholic faction can take the city from them - the Milanese and the Siciliance got their butts severely beaten. I cannot launch another crusade to another city before this one is over. The Pope died and the new one still wants Antioch but no one can deliver it.
    It is my first campaign ever and I as the English had a nice little empire in the middle east going until the Mongols arrived and attacked the Turks first. Then they allied them and attacked me in stead and pretty much ended my dominance in the region - Alexandria is barely holding, Dongola is still mine only because it is too far for them to reach it, Cairo rebeled. My only pride is Damascus which gave the Mongols their first defeat.
    Alea Iacta Est

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Default Re: I have a couple of noob questions

Spear militia should have higher stats than town militia, also they have higher Anti-cavalry bonus.

The join date for a crusade is limited at 9 turns or so, you cannot join a crusade after that. The crusade hasn’t ended because there is probably 1 or more crusading armies still trying to reach Antioch and take it, even after all those years, the only way to end it is if all the crusading army are either defeated or forced to give up the crusade. Alternatively the crusade will end if you take the city, even if you’re not in the crusade. The city will still belong to you but you just won’t receive any reward from the Papal for taking it.

Against the Mongols, DO NOT fight them on an open field, try to fight them in seiges if possible. Spam spear and archer militias, have a few heavy units for the walls and you should do fine.
    Last edited by Quintus.JC; 03-05-2009 at 20:35.

Thanks! Finally a Spanish crusade showed up near Antioch but they just sit there having coffey with the Turks taking their time. The Mongols mopped the floor with me. I do not recruit or attack without a general and I lost my 2 10 star generals in the war against Egypt. So there is no hope for the Middle East. I double checked and my spear militia and town militia have absolutely the same stats except for recruitment cost and upkeep.
    On the bright side, I have managed to eliminate the Danes, so I am only fighting the Milanese and the Portuguese in the West and the Russians just attacked my Finnish holdings.
    Alea Iacta Est

Quote Originally Posted by BalkanTourist View Post
    Thanks! Finally a Spanish crusade showed up near Antioch but they just sit there having coffey with the Turks taking their time. The Mongols mopped the floor with me. I do not recruit or attack without a general and I lost my 2 10 star generals in the war against Egypt. So there is no hope for the Middle East. I double checked and my spear militia and town militia have absolutely the same stats except for recruitment cost and upkeep.
    On the bright side, I have managed to eliminate the Danes, so I am only fighting the Milanese and the Portuguese in the West and the Russians just attacked my Finnish holdings.
    Take the Island of Cyprus and make it your launching point in the Middle east. You are english right? Shouldnt your archers have more range than the mongols? Since you are new to the game I would also Suggest to fight from walled places or attack them when they are in walled places. Trust me man... Mongols are nothing to the Fury of the Timurids.

Well, there be lots of discussions on how to whack the Mongols as the English using yeomen longbowmen with stakes at bridges and on hills and even in cities and using hobilars to ride down the Mongols faster units, and using cannons, but you really will need to have at least a mediocre general or even your best troops will soon bolt from the fearsome Mongols. One vital reason to launch a crusade and succeed is to get Knights Hospitaler because when they are promoted to gold level they can do some damage to Mongols and even Timurid elephants if they charge into their butts. Without some special high chevroned units and good generals you will have to use "human wave" attacks - so start spamming troops.

Spear militia have long spears and Town militia have shorter spears. This means that the longer spears are more effective in cavalry charges. I am not a modder, so I do not know the precise stats and adjustments for the differant actions/animation movements.

As to the stats being identical -- do the Town militia have experience or armor upgrades to "equalize" to their longer speared brothers.

Are you playing a modded version of the game -- not certain why I ask, just wondering.

btw -- even with identical stats the cavalry chage will be more effective against the shorter spears. There may also be morale differences, fatigue dfferences. etc.

I hope some of this helps maybe a little bit.

Would you expect less from a Viking?

Well, thanks for the replies!
    When are the Timurids coming? Do I even really want to know? It is 1342 now. I only possess Damascus - still holding. I defeated 3 or 4 Mongolian stacks with 3 silver shevron troops and a stack of Egyptians with 5 units of longbows and an unit of yeoman archers and 2 armored swords. I also have some leftover crusader troops and some scots there. I do have a chapter of St. John, so technically I can produce Hospitaler knights, but because I have no general, I do not do it. I can't get another general down there yet. May be with another crusade.
    I wonder if the Timurids will attack the Mongols or the Turks or will they go straight for my only region there. No other catholic faction is interested in sending troops there.
    The island of Cyprus is still owned by the Byzantines and I really don't want to start another war. I am at war with 6 factions already.
    I am not playing a modded game. I got the Gold Edition and upgraded to 1.4 I think.
    The stats are identical for town and spear militias for the English and as far as I saw for the Arabs.
    Alea Iacta Est

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Well, thanks for the replies!
    When are the Timurids coming? Do I even really want to know?
    Trust me, you don't wanna know.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Around 1370 or 1380. These folks are far worse than the Mongols, beware.

but because I have no general, I do not do it. I can't get another general down there yet. May be with another crusade.
    You should need a general down there, anyone will do, even if they're worthless commanders.

The island of Cyprus is still owned by the Byzantines and I really don't want to start another war. I am at war with 6 factions already.
    You can always buy it, everything comes at a price. Depending on your treasury of course.

Man behind the screen Member Empirate's Avatar

On beating the Mongols/Timurids, let me refer you to the most useful thread to date. It's found here.

For a summary, let me just say you need a heavy infantry core, anything that can withstand bowfire and cavalry charges (Pavese Spearmen, Dismounted Feudal/Chivalric Knights, Armored Swordsmen...). You also need lots of long range missile troops (Pavese Arbalests are perfect, any kind of longbows is just fine, too).
    Keep your troops together, keep the high ground, whittle the Mongols down with missiles, absorb charges with your melee infantry. Never break formation, don't pursue the enemy, resist all temptations, watch your flanks. Watch your ammo count (!), shoot all your missiles, withdraw in good order when out of ammo and fight again another day.
    When you get comfortable with this style of warfare, mix in specialty units for specific purposes: a little cavalry to pursue routers (but draw them back quickly when the enemy reforms), a little siege maybe, a True Cross is immensely helpful. Use good generals to withstand the Mongol generals' high dread ratings. That's basically it.

Enjoy yourself, the Mongol and Timurid invasions are among the most exciting parts of the campaign!
    Last edited by Empirate; 03-25-2009 at 12:43.
    People know what they do,
    And they know why they do what they do,
    But they do not know what what they are doing does
    -Catherine Bell

He is right the Tumirides are far worse then the Mongols and if I were you I would try to diplomacise with them *usually works temporary* <_<

Offcourse if you the kind to want a death wish my advice is make PLENTY of fortresses against mongols and Tumurids to inflict heavy loses and slow down either enemy. Though the elephants they sometimes have are VERY deadly. Even though i think you can buy them to in certain locations..

I don't like fighting the Mongols or Timurids. Has anyone had any success hitting the elephants with culverins or basilisk fire? Thanks for the tip on fighting the Mongols. I think I heard that from one of you chaps on the first intallation of this MTW game?

Also the Pope called for a crusade against Antioch and I sent my Prince with a big army across the Medditerranian but the Turks intercepted the fleet and sunk it.
    That's not the way to organise a crusade.
    The idea is to travel through one country, then the next, etc.
    Your crusade then grows in strength as it inspires soldiers from other countries, and you get to keep all these troops if you win the crusade, as well as the city you are attacking.

None of this occurs if you travel by ship.
    Last edited by DragonRider; 05-15-2009 at 23:19. Reason: spellcheck

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
    That's not the way to organise a crusade.
    The idea is to travel through one country, then the next, etc.
    Your crusade then grows in strength as it inspires soldiers from other countries, and you get to keep all these troops if you win the crusade, as well as the city you are attacking.

None of this occurs if you travel by ship.
    That was in the original METW. Doesn't happen in METW2. Going by land, you'll lose troops instead, as you will likely move too slow and dissatisfaction will cause desertations.
    Ancestry: Turkish & Irish. Guess my favorite factions!

The stats are identical for town and spear militias for the English and as far as I saw for the Arabs.
    Town militia = light infantry (no bonuses)
    Spear militia = spearmen (all spearmen get attack multiplier bonus vs cavalry, penalty vs infantry)
    Last edited by Yaropolk; 05-27-2009 at 20:02.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Penalty doesn't actually work. SO they just have a bonus.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)