Thread: Vassalage

Default Vassalage

I have become a super power as egypt and made friends with nations I am counqeuring, but I cannot force them to become vassals no matter how hard I try <_<...
    Any advice.

(I brought turkey to there knees and wiped out all of there armies and still nothing.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: Vassalage

Try a search for Vassal or Vassalage, you'll find endless discussion on it

But in unmodded M2TW, you (or rather you and all your allies that are at war with them) need to border all their regions and outnumber them in troops both at the borders and inside their regions for them to consider it.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 03-23-2009 at 19:54.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Well I did do that and still failed epically since once I hit the 20 region mark most my allies betrayed me <_< even the Muslim ones.

Suprisingly im at perfect standing with the pope and the moors O_o....

offcourse the real problems are I have looked and still doesn't help me much since I have done the wipe out, made buddies, and offered huge sums of gold and still refused <_<.

What is your reputation like? A poor one will most certainly make it harder to make them your vassel. And remember, your vassel's vassel is not your vassel.

I'm really not sure how it works. I have never had any faction agree to become a vassal.

Just for giggles, I did become a vassal once :) An AI faction I was in the process of destroying would make the offer every turn; my treasury was hurting and I really wanted to concentrate on other opponents; I become a vassal_peace, treasury shot up, other factions were no longer at war with me. I managed to draw my "protector" into conflict with another faction and overall could see no downside to the choice.

I have no idea how to get the AI to accept the offer though.
    Ja-mata TosaInu

I didn't know you can become a vassal (Unless this is a mod your speaking of O-o)

Still I have gotten vassals before, but with Egypt I can't

and my rep is pretty good (still at mixed)

Good News I changed my campaing to the French(first time)

and through strategic money giving and attacks as I read not only did I make Milan a vassal, but I also gained back all the gold I gave to them they had left >: D!

Rep: Reasonable
    Vasals: Milan so far
    Tuirn 20>

Have never had a vassal, probably by the time any faction would consider it I found it much simpler and safer in the long run to crush them.

I have been a vassal though, I was French and doing very well, but at war with both HRE and Milan. I was beating each slowly but surely. Then HRE asked me to become their vassal, so just for kicks I asked for their best castle and a wad of cash - so they accepted! I then proceded to destroy Milan while HRE guarded my flank. Not much later HRE declared war on me and in return I asked for a crusade against them and crushed them too. I didnt see the downside of being a vassal.
    Last edited by tigger_on_vrb; 03-25-2009 at 21:49.

Reputation is important - you also need to apply pressure to them anyway you can, have huge armies in their borders, block their ports and offer them money. Of course the reason it isnt worth it is because the *vassal* can get out of its *vassal* position anytime it wishes. The whole system was introduced in RTW as a Senate mission IIRC and not for much else it seems. The benefit is that a vassals lands are counted as yours towards your victory conditions IIRC. Nice feature - poor implementation imho - they should have made it as that a vassal needs special conditions to get out of a vassalage - not anytime it wishes. In the end it works as another exploit for the player in a game full of exploits for the player - gah!
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

I didnt see the downside of being a vassal.
    Well, William the Conqueror was King Phillip's vassal and that didn't do Big Will any harm did it?