Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EB Online Wippien Experiment

Default EB Online Wippien Experiment

Greetings handsome men and beautiful ladies of Europa Barbarorum. We are gathered today to discuss something of grand importance--Europa Barbarorum Online. "Madness!" you say? I say "certainly not!" for there is always a solution. This is our endeavor to find that solution...

As you may or may not know, to date, most EB 1.2 multiplayer battles have been played by way of Hamachi, the acclaimed and fairly easy-to-use VPN software. The problem with Hamachi, again, as you may or may not know, is that with a non-commercial (free) license, you may only have 16 members total (including yourself, the virtual network host). For this reason, there are far too many networks created by and for EB users to come together and play online. Most of us who wish to join those networks oftentimes find ourselves rejected with a "Network is full" notice. We need a solution.

Some quick research has shown myself, and others ( props to you Anti =] ), that there are alternatives to Hamachi--free as well. These are Tunngle, Wippien, and another that I may reveal later. If you read through the Tunngle thread here on EB forum, you will notice that many attempts have been made but to no avail, and this is quite unfortunate. Perhaps a future build will be compatible with Total War, but for the moment, all attempts have been futile.

This leaves us with Wippien (for now). I've set up my Wippien, and it essentially works like this:

Wippien works like an instant messenger (includes chat). You still get virtual IP as do Hamachi users. You sign in by using either your Gmail account (as I do) or any Jabber account that you are free to obtain if you haven't an account already. For those who have Gmail, do yourself a favour of convenience and sign in that way.

One final note. Because Wippien does not use networks but acts as an instant messenger, the only way any of us will know who is online and available to play EB is for every single person to have every other person on their list. For this reason I will create a list of accounts of people who have Wippien and EB installed, so reply below with your account names.

Thank you very much for reading and following this experiment, and most importantly, participating. Your efforts are appreciated and I hope with all sincerity will be rewarded by way of many fun and exciting EB battles.

Much thanks,
    Vartan

-----------------------------------------------------

VIDEOS

Wippien for EB Online
    EB Online - Addendum

NOTE*** Not sure if this has been mentioned in the videos, but if you are installing Wippien, MAKE SURE NO OTHER VPN CLIENTS ARE INSTALLED. THIS MEANS UNINSTALLING HAMACHI, TUNNGLE, AND SO ON. TO STAY CONSISTENT, ONLY HAVE WIPPIEN INSTALLED AND UTILIZE THE METRIC RATING OF 1500. WATCH THE VIDEOS TO SEE WHAT I MEAN.

PLAYERS
    ID followed by (forum username)

vartanhaghverdi [at] gmail [dot] com (vartan)
    gamegeek2 [at] gmail [dot] com (gamegeek2)
    seraph64 (alexanderthegreater)
    sthenige1 [at] gmail [dot] com (WinsingtonIII)
    scattered [at] wippien [dot] com (Scattered)
    vasiliyieb [at] gmail [dot] com (Vasiliyi)

**As anti-spam measure I'll be using bracket notation for account names.
    **Account names are posted in the order they were posted as a means of making sure we all have each other added.
    **If this means that a new user later on will have to add thirty people, then so be it. In fact, the more the merrier. As of this writing, we are barely trying to get EB Online moving. Let's do this guys.
    **Feel free to rename Wippien user ID's with forum usernames in order to facilitate correspondence.
    Last edited by vartan; 02-08-2010 at 14:01.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: EB Online Wippien Experiment

So you've successfully got this running?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    So you've successfully got this running?

Yes. In fact, I'm thinking of making an instructional video (as this would be the greatest help, in my opinion). For an idea of what to expect, check out my video on installing another mod for RTW. Don't be afraid to watch it in 720p High-Def--the vid is only 27MB large. Like I said, I'm signed on with my Gmail account, but you can get a free Jabber account if you don't have a Gmail account (as Jabber is what is mainly used for Wippien).
    Last edited by vartan; 01-28-2010 at 04:03.
    Former Projects:

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Allright, I've installed the thing.

gamegeek2 [at] gmail [dot] com
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

go for it :)
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

I've always been too afraid to play online, because frankly I'm sure that my first EB battles against a human opponent will be quite embarrassing. However, I think I'm going to man up and do it this time. I'm not on my comp right now though, so I'll install tomorrow instead.
    from Megas Methuselah, for some information on Greek colonies in Iberia.

go for it :)

Hop on board my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    I've always been too afraid to play online, because frankly I'm sure that my first EB battles against a human opponent will be quite embarrassing. However, I think I'm going to man up and do it this time. I'm not on my comp right now though, so I'll install tomorrow instead.

For anybody else feeling the same, don't. Why? 'cause I ******* said so!!

Just kidding. But seriously, don't break a sweat. Anti has crushed me so many times, I'll admit it. His Baktria is unlike any other. The guys got skill, he deserves the credit. Tsidneku is great too, where the heck are you man? People, word of mouth is key here. Let's make sure this thing works out!
    Last edited by vartan; 01-28-2010 at 04:03.
    Former Projects:

I'll join you in a week or two, maybe three. As soon as i finish my last exam at university (), I'll play like mad and beat you all!!

Nah I kinda suck now, people like JinandJuice can outplay me in cavalry and CelticViking is better at the barbarian zerg. And IrishHitman can rage better.

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Greetings handsome men and beautiful ladies of Europa Barbarorum. We are gathered today to discuss something of grand importance--Europa Barbarorum Online. "Madness!" you say? I say "certainly not!"
    I expected you to say something else....

Good idea though ill download it right away.

EDIT: ive made an account "seraph64"
    Last edited by alexanderthegreater; 01-27-2010 at 16:13.

Nah I kinda suck now, people like JinandJuice can outplay me in cavalry and CelticViking is better at the barbarian zerg. And IrishHitman can rage better.

JinandJuice cannot outplay me in cavalry Maybe he can who knows. Mark's a strong player, he got 1st place after all. MEGAS JINANDJUICE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alexanderthegreater View Post
    I expected you to say something else....

Good idea though ill download it right away.

EDIT: ive made an account "seraph64"

I wouldn't do the Sparta thing, I'm almost 20. I have never had to add someone with a JID before so I assume that under Add/Remove Contacts where it says JID, if I enter in "seraph64" without quotes and leave the dropdown box as <Jabber> it should be fine. So folks, if you're adding JIDs, just enter the ID, don't mess with the protocol drop down box.
    Last edited by vartan; 01-28-2010 at 04:02.
    Former Projects:

Alright, so I've got it installed. I am using my gmail, so the name is entirely unrelated to my guild name.

Here it is:

sthenige1 [at] gmail [dot] com

My internet at home has been acting weird, so I may be forced to go to the campus library to play, which means that I may have to plan ahead with people for matches, unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, how much money do you guys usually play with? Is it like 40000 mnai like the tournaments seem to be? I've been wanting to test out some builds, but I'm not sure how much money I should allow myself.

Alright, so I've got it installed. I am using my gmail, so the name is entirely unrelated to my guild name.

Here it is:

sthenige1 [at] gmail [dot] com

My internet at home has been acting weird, so I may be forced to go to the campus library to play, which means that I may have to plan ahead with people for matches, unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity, how much money do you guys usually play with? Is it like 40000 mnai like the tournaments seem to be? I've been wanting to test out some builds, but I'm not sure how much money I should allow myself.

The guys have come up with many fancy and great ideas, but I like to be traditionalist and stick to what's always worked best. 36k, and traditional rules. Ask Anti about what we did in July '09. He'll bring it back to the front page. I highly recommend those rules, they weren't too bad. But remember, this isn't a tournament we're talking about, so I say play reasonably, play fair, play nice, don't play rough, have etiquette, and think before you act or speak inappropriately. There should always be exhibition matches, and the only tournament/official matches that would have rules (other than the ones y'all make amongst your individual games) would be posted and made clear. I have plans on making it even more convenient for those who wish to play (read: not having to make threads for every tournament, but having a central location, hub...site).
    Last edited by vartan; 01-28-2010 at 04:02.
    Former Projects:

Yeah, I mean, I prefer to have somewhat historically accurate builds in the first place, so I won't be loading up on elites or anything. I just was curious about how much money I should be trying to work with. Thanks for letting me know, I'll start working on some 36k builds and maybe this weekend I'll play some games.

Yeah, I mean, I prefer to have somewhat historically accurate builds in the first place, so I won't be loading up on elites or anything. I just was curious about how much money I should be trying to work with. Thanks for letting me know, I'll start working on some 36k builds and maybe this weekend I'll play some games.

No problem. As far as I can remember, 40k was too much, and 35k wasn't enough for Mak, so 36k was some sort of compromise of a sweet spot, if you will. Anti's idea, blame him. <3

If you actually made several builds for your favourite faction(s), even more than one, say, against barbarian nations, Rome, etc., it would facilitate game initiation times as you'd just load your preset.
    Former Projects:

Those rules were really really complicated especially the 2nd revision. Anyway. Congrats guys.

Those rules were really really complicated especially the 2nd revision. Anyway. Congrats guys.
    We still haven't had one successful game and the only people tested so far are Scattered and I, and we've always had problems of our own, lol. I was referring to revision 1 by the way, I never liked 2. No matter, we'll need a whole new set anyway, I'll start work right away!
    Former Projects:

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

If we test the commercial version for 30 days, can't we quickly make a 256 player hamachi server and then just return to the free version after the trial has expired?
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    If we test the commercial version for 30 days, can't we quickly make a 256 player hamachi server and then just return to the free version after the trial has expired?
    Nope. The company isn't stupid. I wish there was a way to have TCP/IP connection or modify the Gamespy server so that it could redirect to our own servers, if one was set up. For now, I'm awaiting any two players (besides Scattered and I) to create a successful connection. You'll be the pioneers. Scattered has some sort of problem on his end, and I'm running off what I believe is a subnetwork of my school network. Difference: I've played many before, including Scattered, but Scattered and I are having troubles now. You need to make some success.
    Last edited by vartan; 01-28-2010 at 21:03.
    Former Projects:

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

Installing Wippien now.

email is

vasiliyieb [at] gmail [dot] com
    Last edited by Vasiliyi; 01-29-2010 at 02:39.

4x
    1x

Success stories wanted!
    Last edited by vartan; 02-05-2010 at 07:57.
    Former Projects:

im available to test right now, if anyone wants to give it a try.

4x
    1x

Sorry for OT.
    I just want to say that in a few minutes I'll join Hamachi, so if someone wants to play, join now (Vasiliyi :winkwink:)

what network will you be using

4x
    1x

Ok, i'm not on Hamachi anymore because i've just installed Whippien, so we can try this thing. My account:

(deleted on edit)

I'll add you now.

EDIT:

I'm out of this, and continuing with Hamachi.

For all who still use Hamachi: network "Indonesia EB" (pass: "EB" or (or "eb")) works.
    Last edited by Jebivjetar; 02-05-2010 at 20:20.

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Frankly, I think we should make our own set of rules. I just hope they don't screw over my beloved Saka :-)

If you want to stick with traditional rules, link up noobs like me so I can have a look at them :D
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Read OP. This isn't about Hamachi, and rules are on a game-to-game player-with-player basis, except for "tournaments". I didn't see you'd posted here Vas (saw it after I replied to your message). In any case, don't go berserk and warcry on this thread, it's meant to test software with detailed instructions. I bothered making a video, and had it been a few days later I wouldn't, for some reasons I don't like to discuss right now. There are plenty of users signed up with wippien as you can see on the list. If and when you see another online, try the game. If all try with no success, we can move forward to plan C (TBA).
    Former Projects:

Looking for a match-up. Pm me if you are available

4x
    1x

Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyi View Post
    Looking for a match-up. Pm me if you are available
    What hours are you free starting from Wednesday onwards? (Time zone?)

P.S. I've noticed that most VPN clients do not transceive UDP packets, which are needed for RTW and hence, EB, multiplayer. Hamachi is one that does. Tunngle and Wippien do as well...but no reported success with RTW yet.
    Former Projects:

Hey guys! It's good to hear from a couple of familiar usernames again! I'm itching to get some online action, and since NOBODY IS EVER ON HAMACHI, I figured I'm probably getting old school. Vartan, first, kudos for setting this up, but is this thing stable yet? If you wanted some help with testing I'd be glad to help. btw what was wrong with hamachi again?

WinsingtonIII, don't be reluctant. I remember my first online experience (against mountaingoat I think), and I was shitting bricks. The dude had quite an...eccentric formation.

ASM, just because someone's "better" than you doesn't necessarily mean you shouldn't still play. Besides, all this Romani roleplaying has made me rusty as well. I recall many battles we had which had me sweat bullets. Good times.

But yeah, I'd like to see you guys on the battlefield sometime. Hooah.

Balloons from my first place in the Official EB Online Tournament:
    - from Darius_d
    - from spiritusdilitus
    - from Alsatia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast