Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Is Every Non-geek In My Family in a Froth About the iPad?

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Wink Re: Why Is Every Non-geek In My Family in a Froth About the iPad?

But is there anyone you can call

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Default Re: Why Is Every Non-geek In My Family in a Froth About the iPad?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    But is there anyone you can call
    que?
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Blog Entries

HYPE-BUSTERS
    Last edited by Subotan; 01-28-2010 at 14:27.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    HYPE-BUSTERS
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    And to top all of this off, my phone fits in my pocket. Fancy that.
    I think portability is the thing that's going to be the biggest hurdle for the iPad. Take the same device and allow it to fold up into something 4x the thickness but 1/4 the length/width, and you could triple the cost and still sell out. People want and will pay big money for portable computing devices, even with the serious limitations of the iPad hardware. They need to switch the screen over to a flexible OLED and re-release it in a more portable form.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Best analysis I've read this morning:

[T]his launch is closer to that of the original iPod—the idea itself isn't exactly new, competing offerings seem arguably better in some respects, and Apple will have to set itself apart from the pack by delivering a superior user and e-commerce experience. In other words, the iPad isn't going to waltz in and just change the world, the way that its smaller predecessor, the iPhone, did. It'll have to fight its way to the top, like the iPod. [...]

For instance, I can easily imagine an Android-based tablet that's designed by HTC, powered by NVIDIA's Tegra 2, does 1080p video (vs. iPad's 720p maximum resolution), and has much better 3D gaming performance, but at the cost of two hours of battery life. And if someone made such a thing, I would rather buy it than an iPad. I'd even pay over $500 for it. Given the number of Android and ARM-based devices I saw at this past CES, and the amount of design talent that's going into many of them, I expect to see at least one non-embarrassing Android-based competitor to the iPad by at least the second half of the year, if not earlier.
    Last edited by Lemur; 01-28-2010 at 15:03.

Here's a nice size comparison:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Well, I thought it blows at first, bigger iPod Touch, and it really is, to get a bigger iPhone you have to pay 130$ extra for the 3G version, don't forget that.
    then i read this article on gizmodo and it slowly dawned on me that this could be some kind of replacement computer for people who simply have problems learning how to use a mouse, the whole doubleclicking-windows-multitasking-driver-settings-issues-world of computers, netbooks, etc.
    Like my mom, she wants to get on the internet but doesn't really have the time and patience to really learn how to use a computer, giving her an easy-to-use iPad that she could more or less just use after 10 or 20 mins of explanation could be a great thing, except for one big blow...
    What's the use of having an internet device that large without flash? Well, there are apps for facebook etc so you won't have to use the browser with all it's plugin deficiencies to access them but there are many sites for which there is no app that use flash and other plugins that my iPhone's Safari simply cannot display correctly, some of them becoming outright useless, and that, I think, is why even my mom would be wasting her money getting one of these...

edit: Might also add that the pictures in the OP are wrong, here is a video of what it really looks like
    Last edited by Husar; 01-28-2010 at 15:22.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    then i read this article on gizmodo [...]
    Very good article, very good analysis. I usually don't understand why Apple products are so popular until a year or two after they've gotten huge. Looking back, it's obvious why the iPod did so well, but being a geek, all I could see at the time was how overpriced and underpowered the device was (and I was bitter that Apple bought my favorite MP3 software and dumbed it down into iTunes).

So even though I'm bleh about the iPad personally, I'm trying to look at the angles and see if there's something big and obvious that Apple figured out that's invisible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    So even though I'm bleh about the iPad personally, I'm trying to look at the angles and see if there's something big and obvious that Apple figured out that's invisible to me.
    The thing Apple HAS done well is the whole multi-touch interface. That is extremely desirable for the consumer, and Apple has so much brand recognition in that area due to the iPhone that they are in a superb position to capitalize on it in the future. I do feel that the iPhone/iPad style touch screen is going to become ubiquitous in mobile computing over the next decade. It's simply the most space efficient method of interfacing with a portable device. Apple needs to keep exploring this area, and I hope they will continue to innovate here because we need the kinds of devices that they're producing.

My ideal product is a device that is portable enough to fit in my pocket, yet functional enough that it replaces BOTH my cell phone and my laptop. I already have two devices... what I need isn't a third, it's a new device that lets me get rid of the other two. If Apple can create THAT device, they can charge the same as both the phone and the laptop combined, plus some, and I'll still buy it.

the mass market ebook store is another angle, ebooks for everyday, not just for limited function e-ink devices.

but until i can get my ebooks un an unrestricted open format, just like my music, i ain't interested.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 01-28-2010 at 15:47.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    In the commercial market its another useless gadget. But, I guess people with more money than acumen will go nuts.

I could see it having potential in say the Medical field though, replace old doctors charts with centrally networked iPads.
    This is basically what I thought as well. I didn't care about the product at first but I can see it having a lot of functionality for the less tech inclined. It needs a stylus.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    It needs a stylus.
    They probably omitted that on purpose. Like I said, Newton ][.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Somebody is not happy.

What's with all the limitations? No flash player OR USB? It's going backwards.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

My biggest problem with both the iPhone and now the iPad is how you're locked away from free software. At least, I think you are; I've never owned either device, so I can't say with certainty.

I likes my Firefox, my OpenOffice, my GIMP. Frankly, I'm more confident about the tools I download from SourceForge than I am of many commercial applications.

The i-stuff is interesting, and I have a creeping feeling they're going to have a huge impact, but they're not for me.

then you need a nokia n900. mine is awesome, some crazy f00l has even ported blender 2.5 alpha to run on the phone!

Nah, I don't want to pay for a cellular data plan. If somebody makes a fantastic e-reader/tablet/videoconferencing thingy that can do it all through Skype and/or Google Voice and has full functionality through wifi, then I'll be tempted.

At least it would mean I wouldn't have to battle the wife for the laptop when I'm having my morning cup of coffee.

Let me quote Colin Farrell from the wonderful movie "in bruges":

"It's rubbish."

Quote Originally Posted by Fixiwee View Post
    Let me quote Colin Farrell from the wonderful movie "in bruges":

"It's rubbish."
    Or, like Top Gear: Ambitious, but rubbish!

Down with dried flowers!

A massive, fragile, low-battery life ipod touch with a easily misused name...

Oh, and the $30/month charge for the 3G coverage.
    Last edited by CrossLOPER; 01-28-2010 at 20:27.
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    My biggest problem with both the iPhone and now the iPad is how you're locked away from free software. At least, I think you are; I've never owned either device, so I can't say with certainty.

I likes my Firefox, my OpenOffice, my GIMP. Frankly, I'm more confident about the tools I download from SourceForge than I am of many commercial applications.

The i-stuff is interesting, and I have a creeping feeling they're going to have a huge impact, but they're not for me.
    That's one thing that disturbs me as I learn more about it. Apparently you can only get software through Apple's official store - which they boasted about in the presentation. Do Apple Geeks really like only being able to buy from the company store?

Two things came to mind; that's a huge limitation compared to any laptop or computer or non-Apple product.

Also, I see Microsoft get fined hundreds of millions of dollars for including IE with their OS, and I wonder how Apple gets away with including a store program and only letting people obtain things through it (Did someone here mention AOL's walled garden?). And it's not just small market share; Apple has a huge share of the mp3 and phone market.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    That's one thing that disturbs me as I learn more about it. Apparently you can only get software through Apple's official store - which they boasted about in the presentation.
    This is actually kind of funny coming from the company with one of the most famous commercials in TV history: the Macintosh Big Brother spot.
    This space intentionally left blank

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Also, I see Microsoft get fined hundreds of millions of dollars for including IE with their OS, and I wonder how Apple gets away with including a store program and only letting people obtain things through it (Did someone here mention AOL's walled garden?). And it's not just small market share; Apple has a huge share of the mp3 and phone market.
    There is a significant difference in market share between Windows (92%) and the iPhone (30%).

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tangentially related; this launch has led to me hating Robert Kotick more. In this WSJ article:
    One Apple partner felt the price was too high. "Maybe you live in a different America. There is 15% real unemployment, taxes keep getting higher, home equity has evaporated," said Robert Kotick, chief executive of videogame maker Activision Blizzard Inc. "Five hundred bucks is a lot of money. You should get out more."
    From the *** hat who jacked up PC prices of MW2 because he could, and would jack up all game prices if he could.

IT does appear Apple's market share wasn't as large as I thought.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Uhm, there is a whole lot of free software in the iPhone AppStore, in fact the store is more or less divided into free apps and apps that cost money, the good thing about it is that you do not have to search half the internet to find what you need, there is one central place where all the apps your device can use are, you don't have to go to shady websites with really slow servers, dead links etc. that some hobby designer put on the internet, you just go to the appstore and browse categories or search for what you want. For the programmers the advantage is that all their potential customers go to the appstore, where they can find the app. Another advantage for the customers is that apple tests every single app relatively thoroughly to prevent fraud, viruses, execution of external code etc. All in all I find this a great advantage, on my windows mobile smartphone I had a far worse experience, in fact I had far less apps, it was harder to find theem, some of them were optimized for other screen sizes etc. The Apple approach is a bit more like the console approach for gaming and for a cellphone i think that is fine, if I am on a train and want to download an app or a song I won't have to open the browser and wait ages for google to load, all the search results to load etc. I just go to the appstore or itunes store and search for the app/music and get there much faster. On the PC it's a different animal and browsing is easier but my iPhone was never meant to replace my PC.
    And it's actually safer than my PC(so far anyway) because not everyone can just execute all sorts of code on it(I know, there are two viruses, one needs it to be jailbreaked and the other comes through...your PC IIRC).

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I stand corrected, Husar, my bad entirely. Like I said, I've never owned an iPhone or iTouch or iPad, so I was talking out my posterior orifice.

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    the mass market ebook store is another angle, ebooks for everyday, not just for limited function e-ink devices.

but until i can get my ebooks un an unrestricted open format, just like my music, i ain't interested.
    oddly enough, here is an article from el-reg in ipads and ebooks:
    http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/01..._book_readers/

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Oh dear, here's anothor fawning sycophant.

There's much to like, of course. The physical beauty and classy build quality, as in anything designed by Jonathan Ive. The shockingly low price — $499 for the basic model. The contract-free, unlocked nature of the 3G version. But there are two chief reasons for its guaranteed success.

1. It is so simple. It is basically a highly responsive capacitative piece of glass with solid-state memory and an IPS display. Just as a book is basically paper bound together in a portable form factor. The simplicity is what allows everyone, us, software developers, content providers and accessory manufacturers to pour themselves into it, to remake it according to the limits of their imagination. I'll stop before I get too Disney.

2. It is made by Apple. I'm not being cute here. If it was made by Hewlett Packard, they wouldn't have global control over the OS or the online retail outlets. If it was made by Google, they would have tendered out the hardware manufacture to HTC. Apple – and it is one of the reasons some people distrust or dislike them – control it all. They've designed the silicon, the A4 chip that runs it all, they've designed the batteries, they've overseen every detail of the commercial, technological, design and software elements. No other company on earth does that. And being Apple it hasn't been released without (you can be sure) Steve Jobs being wholly convinced that it was ready. "Not good enough, start again. Not good enough. Not good enough. Not good enough." How many other CEOs say that until their employees want to murder them? That's the difference.

So essentially to him it's affordable, simple and apple... But light on the actual function. He likes it because he likes nice things that look cool whereas (to answer the OP) geeks are more interested in what it will actually do -and how well.

It does seem to me a bit like the function will almost be created for the ipad as the market responds to this thing that every man and his wife will have, and been looking for something to do with.

Blog Entries

So, the main points are

Apple.
    Simple.
    Shocking.
    Last edited by Subotan; 01-29-2010 at 12:59.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast