Thread: Ideas for new historical battles?

Default Ideas for new historical battles?

concerning the HB sub mod I released here: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...-pack-realesed
    I'm thinking about adding more HB to mod, so I came here to ask if you have any ideas for any other battles which I can create, (ones that aren't already presented in the official EB historical battles releases and in my sub mod).

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

Default Re: Ideas for new historical battles?

I'd take the opposite approach; what are the battles where do we have enough informations ? Forces, deployment, etc...

It would create a pool of potential HB from which you could pick your choice.
    Unfortunately, I can ask the question, but can't answer it.

Question is which battles we have info enough on.

Here are some I would love to see, info not known.

Battle of Ilipa
    battle of Arausio
    Battle of Aquae Sextiae
    Battle of Vercellae
    Battle of the Causeways, Caecina vs Arminus
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

How about the battle of Orchomenus? Please make more battles; the ones you made are really awesome
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

I always wanted to play the two battles where Antiochus III lost to the Romans - can't remember their names at the moment, but there was 1 in Greece and 1 in Asia Minor. the reason is, I'm a HUGE Seleucid fan, and those two battles were really the ones where, had they gone the other way around, the Seleucid Empire could have made it (so it's the option to play them as AS I'm looking for)

whether enough is known about them to make them in EB is something I have no idea about (obvious really, since I can't even remember their names). But well, those are my wishes ;)
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artaxerxes View Post
    I always wanted to play the two battles where Antiochus III lost to the Romans - can't remember their names at the moment, but there was 1 in Greece and 1 in Asia Minor. the reason is, I'm a HUGE Seleucid fan, and those two battles were really the ones where, had they gone the other way around, the Seleucid Empire could have made it (so it's the option to play them as AS I'm looking for)

whether enough is known about them to make them in EB is something I have no idea about (obvious really, since I can't even remember their names). But well, those are my wishes ;)
    Umm Magnesia is already in and Antiochos III Megas' Thermopylae is hard to make, as you can't make a small passage in this game like it was in real.

Sometimes there is a bug when starting Magnesia, if it CTD's install the official historical battles submod (originally for EB1.1 but works with 1.2 aswell)

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

I must admit to have done no groundwork at all before writing my reply. Magnesia was the decisive battle anyway, so that's the one I'd like most. But I don't see Magnesia on the list LDC has posted in his link (I'll be downloading your pack nonetheless, LDC) and I don't remember Magnesia being in EB 1.2 to begin with (I have nothing installed besides EB 1.2 and FD) - so where is it? (btw, it's been eons since I last opened Historical Battles in EB, so I'm a bit afraid it might actually be there and I'll look a complete fool)

EDIT. Perhaps if Magnesia wasn't in EB1.0, but was added in 1.2, I won't have noticed? is that where I made my mistake or? :)
    Last edited by artaxerxes; 02-27-2010 at 16:27.
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Yep, It's in EB 1.1 i think...

Also, how can you state yourself as a huge Seleucid fan, while you don't know the name of their most important battle or that it's in EB? :O
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

I don't know if it'd be possible to do any Alexander battles. You could use Pahlava, Hayasdan, or maybe Pontos as Persia. It might work. Guagamela or other battles would be cool.

You know, a siege of Rhodos by Makedonia would be really cool. You can create some of Alexander's battles but numbers are not to be trusted, especially when reading ancient greek accounts.
    You could create Charonea altough you might have some problems with the Thebans unless you intend to use epilektoi hoplitai with golden chevrons.
    You could try and make Carhae a bit more coplex than just killing the young Crassus although the engine cannot support what happened in real life.
    One that I would really love to see is Ambiorix's attempt to ambush Caeasar (can't remember the name of the battle) when the Belgii revolted against the romans. Had not the soldiers been so disciplined and fond of Caesar the whole campaign might have crumbled. Plus there are a few belgian soldiers that are really cool to use ( Menhit, Batacorii etc)

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Yep, It's in EB 1.1 i think...

Also, how can you state yourself as a huge Seleucid fan, while you don't know the name of their most important battle or that it's in EB? :O
    I can do that by never pretending to be any kind of scholar or expert on the subject (I said 'fan' not 'expert', y'know). Just like I'm A Rolling Stones fan, but I may not know the lyrics to each and every song - at least not without hearing it - even 'Jumping Jack Flash' isn't 100% clear in my mind right now, tho I remember most of it. And yes, now I do reckognize both names, but not having read about the AS in a long time, they had apparently slipped my mind.
    And as for it not being in EB, I only just reinstalled EB after like a year or something without it - and then installed 1.2 instead of 1.0 which I had before. And I hadn't checked historical battles (I rarely played them before, because there wasn't any that really hooked me - not enough to unhook the main campaign anyway:D), I just played a campaign > visited this forum > saw the thread > thought 'hey I want Magnesia' = didn't at the time think it may have been included in the new version of EB I had recently installed.

Hmm, would it be possible to do some Roman-Germanic battles? Maybe like the battle of the teutoburg forest (Which was 7AD, which is in EB's timeframe :D).

Completed Campaigns:
    RS: Pergamon, Rome.
    EB: Roma
    Vanilla: Seleucids, Brutii, Scipii, Jullii, Macedon, Greek Cities, Carthage

Failed:
    RS:
    Bosperans, Epirus
    EB: Saka, Epirus, Pontos.

Alesia, Pharsalus, and, of course, Munda. Please.
    Last edited by SlickNicaG69; 03-04-2010 at 10:49.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SlickNicaG69 View Post
    Alesia, Pharsalus, and, of course, Munda!!! Please.
    There is only 1 Roman faction and you can't fight against the same faction in EB.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by shootie View Post
    Hmm, would it be possible to do some Roman-Germanic battles? Maybe like the battle of the teutoburg forest (Which was 7AD, which is in EB's timeframe :D).
    9 AD, the problem is making a guesstimate about the German forces. Same with Arausio and the others I would love to see.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    9 AD, the problem is making a guesstimate about the German forces. Same with Arausio and the others I would love to see.
    If Arausio is off by a few thousand, it won't be a problem. Bloodbath nonetheless.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Definately, got to love us barbarians, especially when combined with incompetent civilised generals ha ha ha ;-)

Poor fellows though, if you watch programs with vets of WWII (there are lots on Youtube), watching those old guys almost breaking down from memories of things they experienced 65 years ago (this one- all series actually brought a tear to my eyes, I must be getting old and soft) tells you of some horrible things. Imagine the fear of the fellows at Arausio as they gor slaughtered.

How about Mons Graupius? Last major battle of the Roman conquest of Britain.