Thread: Cant play on windows 7 ?

Default Cant play on windows 7 ?

Just instaled MTW1 on windows7 and It wont work. As soon as I click on start campaign after selecting a factiion it just crashes to desk top. Could a patch solve this?

Default Re: Cant play on windows 7 ?

Same boat as Fester. I installed med gold on Win 7HP 32bit. got past the select faction bit ok but as soon as I picked and tried to move a piece the game crashed. I reckon mtw1 is never going to be officially patched up for modern os and graphics cards despite the years of fans requesting it gets fixed officially.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Some people are able to run MTW on Windows 7, a CTD on a campaign start might be due to your graphics card. What kind do you have?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Hi Drone.
    OP Fester got an immediate ctd on campaign select faction and it might be useful to know the specs and grafix card on his system for the benefit of others maybe.
    I got past the campaign select fashion crash bit as i got england to load up no probs but it crashed the min i selected an agent piece to move.

Netbook gaming on a 12 inch screen U230 was never gonna be much fun, but with Win7, 2gig ram and a 128mb hd ati3200 dedicated grafix, i figured i was good to go.

med1 sure hates my guts as ive tried all the fixes, button and creditskip with mixed results and ive had that nvidia missing unit prob and the megaslow loading prob.

this game is crying out for an official patch like Fester said.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wytchfynder View Post
    this game is crying out for an official patch like Fester said.
    Not going to happen, but maybe CA/Sega/Activision will hand it over to GOG for fix and release.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Wytchfynder View Post
    ive tried all the fixes, button and creditskip with mixed results
    That's odd, the button fix should have fixed it. Have you tried setting the desktop to 16bit colour?

Apologies Asai, maybe i shouldve been clearer on the mixed results thing as i was also reffering to other devices i owned. This is the first device with Win7HP and and ati card that ive tried installing med gold on.
    That Peter123 guy gets max credit for discovering the button fix and it makes me wonder (though probably not) why CA dont spin up an official patch since theyre still selling the game and more people will increasingly be using Win7 as their OS.

Doesn´t work for me also, however it did work for Windows Vista 64 bit... weird.
    Last edited by AchubaNanoiaBR; 07-10-2010 at 03:18. Reason: typos
    “Time is a created thing. To say “I don’t have time” is to say, “I don’t want to.”" – Lao Tzu

Something else to try is run in windows vista compatibility mode and/or 256 color just right click your desktop link go to properties and compatibility should help clear up problems without altering files

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

One of the only options is to get Win7 Pro for the XP mode, which negates a bunch of the problems. I remember seeing a thread with a fix for the resolution issues, but I can't locate it. Grr.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

The button fix will resolve most campaign map CTDs irrespective of the OS you are running: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...=1#post1921448

The button fix should always be applied, there are no side effects and it's the first stage of the crash troubleshooting process. Coming here posting about crashes without first trying the button fix is a waste of everyone's time.

For Nvidia users with graphics cards of the 8xxx and 9xxx series there is no known solution for the problems in battle (inability to direct your units etc). Some of the newer Nvidia cards also seem to be experiencing similar problems.

For the resolution issue (i.e. stuck at 800x600) try running "msconfig" click "boot.ini" tab, followed by "advanced options" button. In the box that opens click the /maxmem checkbox (do not change the number), click ok and ok again and reboot. Then try running the game again. If it makes no difference you can try temporarily restricting your memory to sometihng like 1GB by entering something like 1000 in the /maxmem box, rebooting and trying again. Be careful in there - if you screw up your system by clicking the wrong thing, it's not my fault or the .org's.

If the campaign map scrolling is very slow, this can be improved by disabling vsync and/or by trying this untested and unverified approach: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...n-strategy-map

To disable the intro videos, create an empty text file called "skipcredits.txt" and place it in the same directory as "Medieval_TW.exe". (Should be something like "C:\Program files\Total War\Medieval Total War\" ~ differs between different releases).

To run the game on the desktop in a small overaly (not a window), change your desktop colour depth to 16 bit colour and edit the shortcut as the example below:

"C:\Program files\Total War\Medieval Total War\Medieval_TW.exe"

To:

"C:\Program files\Total War\Medieval Total War\Medieval_TW.exe" D

Before doing this ensure that you're running the game at a lower resolution than your desktop resolution, or it will crash. Change the resolutions for both the battle map and the campaign map - it's good practice to keep them the same and also to use 16 bit colour when running the game whether you run it in the small overlay or not.
    Last edited by caravel; 07-28-2010 at 17:26.

Toh-GAH-koo-reh Member Togakure's Avatar

Perhaps lacking this "button fix" is why I've never been able to run an MTW/VI campaign on this newer laptop? It always crashed when the campaign map loaded. I thought it odd, as I could play battles and MP without problems.

I'm unclear as to where to get the two button files, to replace the faulty ones on the install. Suggestions?
    Be intent on loyalty
    While others aspire to perform meritorious services
    Concentrate on purity of intent
    While those around you are beset by egoism

misc kanryodo

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    Aha, domo arigato gozaimasu, Asai Nagamasa-san.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

You will also need to install it for any mods you install (apart from the Napoleonic Total War mod of course).

Post Re: Cant play on windows 7 ?

The claim of post:15 is false. Regardless what I may think of the post personally, its claim remains untrue and flawed all the same.

For the record….

Redux too, has such customized files – a.k.a the “button-fix” – and they deliver the same effect and works just as well as the ones found in the NTW-mod. These redux-files have been tried and tested, and successfully used globally by some 1000+ players for 2 years now.

It is not true that Redux would somehow need the NTW-files installed as a prerequisite in order to get the effects of the “button-fix” - it already has its own functional customized files for it. It would be totally redundant at best, to do so.

The essential difference here is the GFX-looks and that the redux-files are not available as a separate package/download, which is the case with the relevant files from the NTW-mod.

These circumstances are hardly any secret either. I have, among others, posted and mentioned this info several times across boards and forums, for 2 years. It is fairly known stuff essentially – even here at the Org.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    Thanks to this "button fix," I've just enjoyed my first MTW/VI campaign on this computer--it's been about 4 years since I played one. It was great fun playing the Spanish again after all this time--thanks! Next ... hmmm ... I think the Sicilians.
    Be intent on loyalty

misc kanryodo

Glad to hear it Togakure-san. I think you'll probably have to install it for Samurai Warlords as well (just in case you're planning on playing that).