Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What video or PC game are you best at?

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default What video or PC game are you best at?

If you were to bet all your possessions and money on beating someone at a game, what game would it be?

For me, anything from the Ace Combat series for the PS2 (AC4, AC5 and ACZ). Those and the original SSX also on the PS2. No one could ever quite pull off a "Double Rodeo Melancholy with a Japan to Late Nuclear" like I could.

I actually like PC gaming much more than consoles, but I was never very good at them.

Also, on a separate note: I'd create another thread, but I know there's been plenty of them before. Could someone recommend me a good combat flight simulator for the PC. Preferably a modern setting, I heard Rise of Flight is very good, but I'm not really into the WWI setting. Also, convince me that a joystick is really worth it, as I've never really considered getting one until I found my old FreeSpace 2. I don't mind if it's arcadey like Ace Combat or if it strives for ultra-realism.

Thank you! And do tell what games you're best at! ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Default Re: What video or PC game are you best at?

Age of Empires (Was the first strategy game I ever played)
    Tekkan 3.

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Despite how much i despise it now, the CoD series. Anyone of them I naturally own at... So do my older and younger brothers.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Gonna go old school with this one, if it's a game for all my earthly possessions then we're gonna kick it back to Unreal Tournament classic.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

I go real old school and say Command and Conquer way back in the day twas my first PC game after I upgraded from my old Amstrad.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, the best multiplayer ever. I was an absolute god after 6 years playing, was #2 1vs1 pistols on world ladders, (but I should mention that most had moved to Rainbow Six 3), never liked that one kept coming back to Rogue Spear. Even my own clanmembers I couldn't convince I have never ever cheated.

I am gonna have to say either UT MP (like Monk) or M&B SP. If I had to make a choice, I would say M&B. On the most difficult of all settings, and on my mod which raises the level and skill of AI by enormous amounts (as well as the size of armies), I can still fight through almost a whole army single handedly.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

I dont "own" at any game, but I was great at BF2142. Im pretty good right now at Red Faction Guerilla, but still, not great.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

L4D2, Warcraft 3 (custom maps), Brawl, Soul Calibur 2, Mario Party, EU3, SupCom1/2/Total A.

I mean good, really good, not just average. Its hard for anyone to beat me in any of those games.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Gran Turismo 4, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and that's about it.

I used to kick ass badly in MoH. Dunno how or why, since I sucked so much at CoD1. I remember a time when I sniped the whole opposing team by myself while they kept shooting at me (on the bridge map). And with the allied rifle I was litteraly unstoppable.

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

This topic makes me feel bad because I'm not particularly good at any game to the point where I'd put money on me winning. Or that I play videogames where it would be very difficult to even define winning.

I'm pretty good (har!) as a heavy in TF2, but I'm neither the best heavy nor really good in general.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

3rd World Best "Populous 3: The Beginning" of 2001.
    2nd World Best was my teacher and mentor "Keith52".

We have a record of 54 games - 1 loss on 2v2.
    BLARGH!

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    This topic makes me feel bad because I'm not particularly good at any game to the point where I'd put money on me winning. Or that I play videogames where it would be very difficult to even define winning.

I'm pretty good (har!) as a heavy in TF2, but I'm neither the best heavy nor really good in general.
    I didn't mention TF2 since it's rediculously easy to counter-class someone in that game. Heavy camping the cart? Backstab time!

That said, i've seen some amazing players in my time. I've seen demomen hold up a cart single-handedly, heavies push the payload through the entire map in a single life, and Engineers stop an assault dead even with half a team spamming rockets at their sentry. Even though i wouldn't bet on it, i enjoy TF2 like no other

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Of all the games I've played, I was probably best at Quake3. Nowhere near pro level, but I was pretty good. Unfortunately, I can't really spend enough time these days getting good at games.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I just read the second part of your post :/

I recommend Il-2 as a great combat flight simulator. Its WW2 but there are plenty of mods out there for it. Aces High is good as well if you dont mind paying the 15$ a month.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Dota (Warcraft 4 custom map)......so much of my HS life was spent in that game....haven't touched it in ages, but I bet I still got the old skills kicking around somewhere.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Red Orchestra hands-down. I've played in unofficial matches with two great clans in a match and did a lot to affect the victory. (And I'm not in a clan myself)

Any Total War game.
    Bad Company 2.
    Tekken 6.
    Madden (but the game sucks Backbreaker FTW!)
    Perhaps Vegas 2.
    I'm pretty darn good at TF2.
    Last edited by The Spartan (Returns); 07-17-2010 at 02:17.

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Age of empires two. I wrote a knight rush guide. Yeah I like to think I was pretty damn good at that game.

I'm fantastic at rtw as well. And here's something reallyyyyyyyyy old school, civilization colonization.

Retired Senior Member Prince Cobra's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Age of empires two. I wrote a knight rush guide. Yeah I like to think I was pretty damn good at that game.

I'm fantastic at rtw as well. And here's something reallyyyyyyyyy old school, civilization colonization.
    Wow, it seems I am not the only one who was in love with AoE II. Wonderful game really and most of the tactics are applied to the MTW 1. Like the camels, and pikes vs. cavalry etc. Even the mercenaries and bribes. Yes, my favourite enemy (yes, enemy!) was the Persians because they allowed me to build an Imperial guard of elephants via spreading of the Orthodox religion (monks were my favourite unit, btw). Ah, yes, since the AoE II dates my love for the Byzantines. Wonderful game! I still play it occasionally.

Perhaps one of the greatest battle I had was a simulation of the Mongol invasion in AoE II. 3 vs 5 system on the Arabian map. My (the Byzantines) allies were the Chinese and the Persians, the enemy were 4 Mongol armies + 1 Turkish army. It was a very bloody victory. The Chinese seuffered the initial blow and although they survived, they had a ghostly existance until the end of the game, slowly recovering their population. The dirty work was done by me and the Persians. I remember the desert map just beautifully contrasted the pre-New year snow.
    Last edited by Prince Cobra; 07-17-2010 at 11:43.
    R.I.P. Tosa...

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Of all the games I've played, I was probably best at Quake3. Nowhere near pro level, but I was pretty good.
    Yeah me too, playing it back in school will always be a fond memory. For me it would either be Quake 3 or Halflife 2: Deathmatch. I had become pretty good at that before I stopped.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    ... I'm not particularly good at any game to the point where I'd put money on me winning...
    Same here. Most every game is a challenge for me and if it isn't it is because the game is so easy a monkey could do it.
    This space intentionally left blank

Definitively Total War.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Cobra View Post
    Wow, it seems I am not the only one who was in love with AoE II.
    I love AOEII as well. One of the first RTS games I really got into.

That said I wasn't great at but I was pretty good at it.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi View Post
    Same here. Most every game is a challenge for me and if it isn't it is because the game is so easy a monkey could do it.
    +2

Generally speaking, I suck at video/PC games. Even with the few I play relatively well, I'm still only moderately good at them overall.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Fallout 1
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Wow, it seems I am not the only one who was in love with AoE II. Wonderful game really and most of the tactics are applied to the MTW 1. Like the camels, and pikes vs. cavalry etc. Even the mercenaries and bribes. Yes, my favourite enemy (yes, enemy!) was the Persians because they allowed me to build an Imperial guard of elephants via spreading of the Orthodox religion (monks were my favourite unit, btw). Ah, yes, since the AoE II dates my love for the Byzantines. Wonderful game! I still play it occasionally.

Perhaps one of the greatest battle I had was a simulation of the Mongol invasion in AoE II. 3 vs 5 system on the Arabian map. My (the Byzantines) allies were the Chinese and the Persians, the enemy were 4 Mongol armies + 1 Turkish army. It was a very bloody victory. The Chinese seuffered the initial blow and although they survived, they had a ghostly existance until the end of the game, slowly recovering their population. The dirty work was done by me and the Persians. I remember the desert map just beautifully contrasted the pre-New year snow.
    Absolutely adored the byzantines and i did the exact same thing with monks!!!!!!!!!!! i loved being able to convert unique units to my banners ii would have armies of huskrals elephants samurai berserkers, etc. Only problem was i wouldnt want to waste them lol.

I remeber one game as the byzantines vividly, i was playing archipelago and i had built a massive massive wall splitting me off from my main enemies, it was easily three of four thick and was dotted with towers it was built in two layers so troops could fight from within, as well it was honeycombed with gates so if the outer layer was penetrated it could recreate a killing ground. I had castles at key choke points and trebuchets set up along the entire perimeter to take out any opposing ones. It was simply put, made impenetrable and needed like 50 troops to fully garrison it.

I was a very very defensive player and absolutely adored having a fully functioning empire as automated as possible. Extensive fields which were always with a key tower placed so that the villagers had a withdraw point, palisade encased mines and lumber yards, markets set up far enough away that i could make a hefty profit and never run out of gold.

I was also a huge fan of naval forces i would have huge well proportioned forces patrolling my islands and protecting my fishing fleets.

One of my favorite tactics had to be building untis of about 10 hussars or so and sending them on patrols guarding my frontier, iwould even name the units.

AOE was such a fun game because it allowed so much customization. Even campaigns were enjoyable.

that being said im going to go fire up the old disc.

I loved AOE II as well. I loved the Teutons. I loved their crusaders, ironically enough.
    My favorite memory of that was I was playing in a 6 player match on Hard, at the Black Forest map. I had one ally, the Byzantines, and I was the Teutons. My enemies were the Celts, the Goths, the Persians, and the Mongols. The Persians and Mongols were allies, as were the Celts and Goths.
    I remember using the fire catapult to carve a way through the forest for my troops to converge at the center in one massive battle, where everyone seemed to converge at the same time. The ground was literally stained blood-red for a long time, that many people fell in that battle. I won the battle, then assaulted the Goth stronghold, which has three lines of walls, dozens of towers, and a river. I lost many good men, but I was able to defeat the Goths. Then I moved north, burned another path through the forest to defeat the Mongols, which was hard because the Teutons are not good in archery. I also lost many men. Finally I defeated them, but then the neighboring Celts began assaulting me. I preceded to make a maze of towers, just because I was bored and didnt feel like losing another thousand men just yet.
    I finally built up a force to defeat the Celts, who actually fell a lot easier than anybody else.
    As for the Persians, my ally finished them off.

Good times, good times. Pity I cant find the CD.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 07-23-2010 at 01:06.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

The goths don't get walls.....

I may have chosen "all tech."
    Its more fun that way.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Oh yeah forgot about that.

Bah I wasn't really a fan of that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast