Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $1 trillion in minerals discovered in Afghanistan

Insomniac and tired of it Senior Member Slyspy's Avatar

Default Re: $1 trillion in minerals discovered in Afghanistan

I'm with Frag. You guys who say this is a good thing: Show me a third world mineral rich country in which any significant proportion of the wealth trickles down to the natives. Even if you can, convince me that this can happen somewhere as unstable as Afghanistan.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slyspy View Post
    I'm with Frag. You guys who say this is a good thing: Show me a third world mineral rich country in which any significant proportion of the wealth trickles down to the natives. Even if you can, convince me that this can happen somewhere as unstable as Afghanistan.
    Enough qualifiers there?

Were they "third world" before or after the resource discovery?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

How many third world countries were US colonies when the resources were discovered? Of course a lot depends on the stability of the country but I'm not sure how much the resources change that, if the Taliban come back they may very well not let anyone else mine there anyway.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Bang on the nail.

Paul Collier's most recent book (just released) is all about this very issue...

Mineral wealth is as near as damn a curse for many low income/developing countries.

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As there is no need to develop anything else and those at the top get all the kickbacks they need from the industry.

The Chinese would simply get a map, mark the deposits and routes out the country. They'd then instigate a plan where anyone unauthorised in a zone close to these places would be shot on sight (1 mile or so either side), ideally paying off whoever controls the land they want to go through. Convoys to get the goods out, protection at the site. Hell, even bring in labour to ensure no infiltration.

The Taliban might be OK with this as it's no interference and hard currency.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    Bang on the nail.

Paul Collier's most recent book (just released) is all about this very issue...

Mineral wealth is as near as damn a curse for many low income/developing countries.
    Customefs who bought this book also bought this, or something like that. We are so conned http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Games-St...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Enough qualifiers there?

Were they "third world" before or after the resource discovery?
    I think that serves as an answer to my request.
    "Put 'em in blue coats, put 'em in red coats, the bastards will run all the same!"

"The English are a strange people....They came here in the morning, looked at the wall, walked over it, killed the garrison and returned to breakfast. What can withstand them?"

$1 trillion, or perhaps not.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I heard $1 trillion is the price of a Mars Bar in the Eurozone next week.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Once the PIIGYS default and sink the Euro a Mars will then be worth 5 trillion $ cos Ireland will be paying Germany in worthless Paddy Pounds same as the rest of the PIIGYS
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Not even a tenth of our debt.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

That graph shows GNP bigger than GDP how?????

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    That graph shows GNP bigger than GDP how?????

I'm just sick of people whining about the national debt when we have numbers like that. In theory, we could pay off our entire debt in one year.

Down with dried flowers!

That is true even Ireland could pay off the debt, however we would have to basically not spend any money for a year thats not gonna happen.

That GDP/GNP missmatch is still bugging me you only get to spend GNP not your GDP so by your graph the USA has the ability to spend more than it makes??????
    Last edited by gaelic cowboy; 06-18-2010 at 20:51.

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    that is true even Ireland could pay off the debt, however we would have to basically not spend any money for a year thats not gonna happen.
    Exactly.

We have yet to see how this mineral find plays out. I'm just looking forward to them finding their way into the international market.

Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Exactly.

We have yet to see how this mineral find plays out. I'm just looking forward to them finding their way into the international market.
    China is already in Afghanistan in a few copper mines defended by NATO troops, read it somewhere while back so the USA can forget about getting the majority of the contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    I heard $1 trillion is the price of a Mars Bar in the Eurozone next week.
    Hmm that doesn't look good for the USA, does it?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    Hmm that doesn't look good for Scotland, does it?
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...26tbs%3Disch:1

Fixed.

Down with dried flowers!

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

Slypsy how many mineral rich countries had a direct us, boots on the ground, presence?

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not really something to be sprouting when Afghanistan is getting worse, Cent.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...c/10356741.stm
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion1 View Post
    Slypsy how many mineral rich countries had a direct us, boots on the ground, presence?
    Sorry, does that make a difference?

What do you think is going to happen when they are supplied with high-tech from China and Russia to secure these recources, and they will. This is going to be 100% hell on earth, if it wasn't already.

Of course there's a rise in violence.
    aa there's a war
    B the terrorists see weakness right now and now Obama ain't gonna make as large a commitment as bush would have to the war.

But the kind of violence that was occuring before the invasion is declining there sure aren't as many stonings in soccer stadiums now.

Yes slypsy it does matter. Because whatever you say about us this will be attempted to deal with fairly, while I am not a fan of this concept it might be best to nationalize the industry ain a nation as effed up as afganistan. Then again the national government is as corrupt as the rest of the country.

Frag no idea what your talking about.

Personally if we really want to make afghanistan a success we should institute it as a territory of the us and use draconian law to keep the peace.

No of course Obama isn't. He's made more of an commitment already than Bush ever did, or do those extra troops count for nothing?
    The kind of violence which occurred before the invasion is still very much present or do you doubt that the Warlords were above assassinating their opponents?

Fragony mentions a scenario which to some extent is already occurring (Chinese exploit some copper mines), which is basically that the local kleptocrats auction off the sites to a foreign investor who then, à la Shell in Nigeria tries to extract the valuables as cheaply and quickly as possible before the local insurgents kill off all miners _again_ and they have to deal with the _next_ kleptocrat. This of course comes at a cost to the Afghans, environment, and of course the value of these sites degrades a lot in the process.

But you may want to read that register article I linked to. It contains some more things to think about.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Pretty obvious, corporate backing of warlords completily tearing artificial borders apart , how can you not see that comming.

And yes my leftist mucas I know this sounds mighty stupid as that goes on everywhere.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-19-2010 at 14:11.

Tellos so What he made a surge. He also made a wothdrawaltable which IMO in a situation like this is very foolish. At least to go public with-it.

Frag at least there would actually be something to exploit, plus to properly mine you need infrastructure and Afghans could certainly use some

I'm not saying this is is going to be a good thing for Afghanistan just that it could be

Tellos so What he made a surge. He also made a wothdrawaltable which IMO in a situation like this is very foolish. At least to go public with-it.

Frag at least there would actually be something to exploit, plus to properly mine you need infrastructure and Afghans could certainly use some

I'm not saying this is is going to be a good thing for Afghanistan just that it could be
    It COULD be good for Afghanistan as a country, but you shouldn't think in nations that's a western concept it's useless, in reality it exists only on a map.

Don't say ridiculous things. Nation is not a uniquely western concept.Afghanistan does not represent the entire eastern hemisphere

Don't say ridiculous things. Nation is not a uniquely western concept.Afghanistan does not represent the entire eastern hemisphere
    What is so rediculous about it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast