Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repealed

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Repealed

If it works, then there is not reason women can not serve in combat units if they want to, either.

My objections came from a particular experience when part of the command group with a joint taskforce in the field. (Army, Air Force, & Marine Corps)

I don’t mean gay sex, just sex in general. We had examples of both, naturally.

I have no idea whither it was the high stress of operations coupled with living outdoors and in close contact with others or just the element of danger but it did impact the mission.

There were numerous incidents of unwanted sexual advances involving both rank and file and the leadership, male and female. There were incidents of sex during operations, some in very dangerous situations.

It had an effect on both moral and resources.

Of course all these things were against regulations at the time also, but it made little difference.

Most of it was covered up as much as possible but it was a real problem.

Straight sex caused the biggest commotion but gay sex had the largest impact on security.

I am certainly not anti-sex, and could care less about the sex life of others, even in tents or curled in sleeping bags, but on duty when it makes more work for others and endangers the mission and the lives of others it is a different matter.

You can say what you want about regulations. They don’t stop the behavior, they just punish those caught.

It is all very funny when you are sitting some place safe and secure but when your life depends on those supposedly walking the perimeter it is a whole different story.

I hope the change has little or no effect on the armed forces. It is just that my opinions have been colored by some negative experiences.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Vuks posts in this thread have made me rethink universial sovrigenty
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    my opinions have been colored by some negative experiences.
    Dude I'm sorry you've had some lousy gay sex experience. With your perimeter breached, I hope you didn't get penetrated.

Don't let it undermine your morale. You know what you could do next time there are frictions in your group? You should have a sing-along together!!
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 12-23-2010 at 23:00.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    Dude I'm sorry you've had some lousy buttsex.
    He's not the one you should be aplogizing to, mon cher

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Dude I'm sorry you've had some lousy gay sex experience. With your perimeter breached, I hope you didn't get penetrated.

Don't let it undermine your morale. You know what you could do next time there are frictions in your group? You should have a sing-along together!!
    You simply can't make that assumption about Fisherking. You don't known him well enough. Like me, you have yet to penetrate his intimate circle.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Just thought I would say - about time and why the hell did it take a lame duck session to get it through... But nevermind, I tip my hat to The States and their continual progress on the social front - quite a remarkable transformation in the last 70 odd years.

Also, geeze PJ - I haven't been here for a while and I come back to peruse; and you are espousing arguments which can only be described as 'spot on'. What happened? ;) (I jest, I jest!)
    Last edited by JAG; 12-28-2010 at 17:15.
    GARCIN: I "dreamt," you say. It was no dream. When I chose the hardest path, I made my choice deliberately. A man is what he wills himself to be.
    INEZ: Prove it. Prove it was no dream. It's what one does, and nothing else, that shows the stuff one's made of.
    GARCIN: I died too soon. I wasn't allowed time to - to do my deeds.
    INEZ: One always dies too soon - or too late. And yet one's whole life is complete at that moment, with a line drawn neatly under it, ready for the summing up. You are - your life, and nothing else.

Jean Paul Sartre - No Exit 1944

America's finest have always resented discrimination. Therefore the army has not been welcome on recruit on Ivy league campuses. Now that the army has repealed DADT, the army can recruit from America's brightest minds again.

The army being welcome to recruit from America's elite again ought to more than compensate a few hicks leaving for fear of being recruited by teh gays.
    Reserve Officers' Training Corps about to make a comeback at elite universities? Some top schools kicked ROTC off campuses during the Vietnam War, and have kept it off since, citing the military's policy on gays. Now that Congress has repealed "Don't Ask Don't Tell," the Ivy League is considering participating once again. But is the military even interested?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to set up an ROTC program where few students will join up, The New York Times' Tamar Lewin and Anemona Hartocollis report. Right now, Harvard has only 19 students participating in ROTC programs at nearby schools. Columbia has six. Yale has four. Brown has just one. Yale's president said his university is interested in offering more opportunities for students interested in the military, but it's not "a foregone conclusion," the Times reports, that ROTC will come back.

• One Small Step Bringing ROTC to the Ivy League, Commentary's Max Boot notes, "will not make much of a change in either the Ivy League or the military, but it is a small, welcome step toward bridging the chasm that separates the armed forces from society's elites."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opini...-Make-Up-6294/
    (Although personally I'd insist the army must stay well clear of any university I'm employed at. It can recruit, but ought not to be physically present)
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 01-04-2011 at 02:02.
    Not everything

This might be something controversial to say, but I don't want the brightest from Harvard to be recruited. I want them to be going to West Point or Annapolis where their intelligence can be used to the most capacity, not as a soldier on the ground.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

(Although personally I'd insist the army must stay well clear of any university I'm employed at. It can recruit, but ought not to be physically present)
    Whyever not? Surely there are job fairs and the like where their presence would be appropriate? I don't know of any universitys with their own recruiting office full-time on site, but where is the harm here?
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Whyever not? Surely there are job fairs and the like where their presence would be appropriate? I don't know of any universitys with their own recruiting office full-time on site, but where is the harm here?
    A job fair is fine. Permanently present information is fine too. What is not fine, is a permanent physical presence of the army, especially for a university with a campus. (As is so often the case in the US, where universities are so often located in the countryside on large campuses. In contrast to Europe, where universities are commonly located in university towns or, most to my liking, exist as part of the fabric of a city large enough to not be dominated by a university).

This is what I mean. One of those southern megacampuses, not readily distuingishable from a barracks. It is all much too protofascist for me.

Not everything

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

It's a military academy what do you expect, nothing fascist about. I also dislike the campus-concept though. Utrecht is a nice example of a university-town, it's spread over the entire historical-centre. And the factory that is the soulless 'Uithof' but centre is really nice, always activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    It's a military academy what do you expect, nothing fascist about.
    No it isn't. It is Texas A&M University, the oldest and largest Texas university. It's just that it looks like a military campus to European eyes. The army is integrated into the campus life to an extent unthinkable in Western Europe, from scholarships to physical presence of training cadets.
    http://www.tamu.edu/

Make your officer training part of your curriculum:
    http://www.armyrotc.com/edu/txam/index.htm
    Not everything

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

No it isn't. It is Texas A&M University, the oldest and largest Texas university. It's just that it looks like a military campus to European eyes. The army is integrated into the campus life to an extent unthinkable in Western Europe, from scholarships to physical presence of training cadets.

Make your officer training part of your curriculum:
    http://www.armyrotc.com/edu/txam/index.htm
    I see. But just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad. Don't get the appeal but I get rashes from authority, 'You aren't allowed to do that' tends to bring up my inner mule. If they want military discipline power to them. Barrack communities are also unthinkable here.

For enjoyment http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&source...XFEWLYZnikIeVQ
    Last edited by Fragony; 01-04-2011 at 12:47.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

This is what I mean. One of those southern megacampuses, not readily distuingishable from a barracks. It is all much too protofascist for me.

Louis,

It's Texas. A couple of college kids in iniform makes you think that?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

What part of that movie is NOT gayer than Freddie Mercury....?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Meh, A&M is a very special case and even then the # of people enrolled in the cadets is dropping like silk underwear on prom night (much to the chargrin of the old ags, but those guys are back ass hicks)

In any case it is not the Largest Texas university, that would be UT-Austin and the UT system dwarfs A&M by about 10-1.

In any case both schools suck

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

A&M is one of six Senior Military Colleges in the country. The cadet corp is an integral part of the campus, but it's not exclusive like VMI and the Citadel. At other non-SMC colleges and universities, ROTC is a lot less visible (unless you are staggering home through campus early in the morning )
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    A&M is one of six Senior Military Colleges in the country. The cadet corp is an integral part of the campus, but it's not exclusive like VMI and the Citadel. At other non-SMC colleges and universities, ROTC is a lot less visible (unless you are staggering home through campus early in the morning )
    Yea the ROTC here at Tech is not serious at all.

Even the ags know most kids now use it as an easy way to get into the school and the non-regs on campus treat them pretty disrepectfully and they are the butt of many jokes

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

This thread had me reminiscence about boot camp way back when.. I had a crush on our chief petty officer Halvorsen, and so did the majority of my platoon.
    Those intense and commanding eyes and Prussian bearing made men out of young boys. We were the lapdogs of a magnificent soldier with a gold band on sleeves.
    I was hand picked by this dark eyed beauty to represent our platoon at the NCO training. It was hard to say no to this person, so I accepted and became eventually an acting petty officer and a few years later ensign.
    Many of my contemporary soldiers sigh when thinking of chief petty officer Halvorsen and her Pocahontas looks.
    Status Emeritus

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    This thread had me reminiscence about boot camp way back when.. I had a crush on our chief petty officer Halvorsen, and so did the majority of my platoon.
    Those intense and commanding eyes and Prussian bearing made men out of young boys. We were the lapdogs of a magnificent soldier with a gold band on sleeves.
    I was hand picked by this dark eyed beauty to represent our platoon at the NCO training. It was hard to say no to this person, so I accepted and became eventually an acting petty officer and a few years later ensign.
    Many of my contemporary soldiers sigh when thinking of chief petty officer Halvorsen and her Pocahontas looks.
    Given the subject of the thread, if found this amusing.

It's a pity you had to put "her" in the last sentence.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    Given the subject of the thread, if found this amusing.

It's a pity you had to put "her" in the last sentence.
    Sigurd is a married man, he isn't ready to come out yet.... Just wait a couple of years
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rather intolerant of differences, aren't you?

Seriously, this seems to be taking a difference in culture from a bad perspective.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Meh, A&M is a very special case and even then the # of people enrolled in the cadets is dropping like silk underwear on prom night (much to the chargrin of the old ags, but those guys are back ass hicks)

In any case it is not the Largest Texas university, that would be UT-Austin and the UT system dwarfs A&M by about 10-1.

In any case both schools suck
    Where shall I send my second to call on you sir? You besmirch my alma mater and such cannot be unanswered.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123