Thread: Punic Military Ranks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Punic Military Ranks

I understand that "Rb Mhnt" means general of the army, but I can't find any
    reference to the "Mepaqed". Is it a Semitic term or a native Libyan title?

Also, is there any indication what names Phoenicians or Carthaginians used for middle-ranking
    officers?

EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Default Re: Punic Military Ranks

IIRC it's a Hebrew word used as a substitute. That's my guess, since IIRC Mepaked means "General" in Hebrew. But the two are quite closely related, to be fair.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Sounds like high time to go back to the Punic dictionary, hmm?
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post
    IIRC it's a Hebrew word used as a substitute. That's my guess, since IIRC Mepaked means "General" in Hebrew. But the two are quite closely related, to be fair.
    I thought "Aluf" was Hebrew for general, or is that a modern Hebrew word?

I cannot find Mepaqed in the Punic. Perhaps it is of foreign origin. But that would be odd, if it indeed was used by the Carthaginians to mean general. Then, if it was indeed used by them, it would show up in the Punic. I'm interested to know why the EB team chose to go with Mepaqed for general (otherwise all of the Punic names in EB check out as far as I've checked). The Punic for general is RB. I'll go over a few of these terms now.

rb general (also can be short for rb mḥnt; also governor)
    rb 'rṣ regional governor
    rb mḥnt head of the army
    rb tt rb mnt head (of the army) acting for the head of the army (basically, proconsul)
    rb šny (or rb sn') adjutant general (literally, second general)
    rb šlšy (or rb sls') co-adjutant general (literally, third general)
    rb m't military title designating the head of one hundred man unit (of course m't meaning one hundred, m'tm two hundred, and so on)

tm' military commander
    tm' drkm infantry commander
    tm' mḥnt commander of the army
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    I cannot find Mepaqed in the Punic. Perhaps it is of foreign origin. But that would be odd, if it indeed was used by the Carthaginians to mean general. Then, if it was indeed used by them, it would show up in the Punic. I'm interested to know why the EB team chose to go with Mepaqed for general (otherwise all of the Punic names in EB check out as far as I've checked). The Punic for general is RB. I'll go over a few of these terms now.

rb general (also can be short for rb mḥnt; also governor)
    rb 'rṣ regional governor
    rb mḥnt head of the army
    rb tt rb mnt head (of the army) acting for the head of the army (basically, proconsul)
    rb šny (or rb sn') adjutant general (literally, second general)
    rb šlšy (or rb sls') co-adjutant general (literally, third general)
    rb m't military title designating the head of one hundred man unit (of course m't meaning one hundred, m'tm two hundred, and so on)

tm' military commander
    tm' drkm infantry commander
    tm' mḥnt commander of the army

Interesting list. How are most of these pronounced, though. I know Rab-Mahant, Rab-Miat, and I presume drkm is dorkim (darak is also translated in the Phoenician dictionary as infantry). How does the rest of it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Titus Pullo View Post
    Interesting list. How are most of these pronounced, though. I know Rab-Mahant, Rab-Miat, and I presume drkm is dorkim (darak is also translated in the Phoenician dictionary as infantry). How does the rest of it go?
    Drkm is dorkim, infantry, yes. Drk (Hebrew: derek) surely means road, and could mean journey, voyage. Its second meaning is problematic, as indicated by Krahmalkov, and he indicates that drk (Hebrew dōrek) can mean foot soldier, infantryman.

The reason we have these different meanings sometimes is because these words are best interpreted in context. These words are also written in Standard Phoenician "conservative (historical), consonantal orthography". Since I have not studied Phoenician, I cannot tell you which vowels you need for the various cases in the grammar (I'm not looking at the grammar today).
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    I cannot find Mepaqed in the Punic. Perhaps it is of foreign origin. But that would be odd, if it indeed was used by the Carthaginians to mean general. Then, if it was indeed used by them, it would show up in the Punic. I'm interested to know why the EB team chose to go with Mepaqed for general (otherwise all of the Punic names in EB check out as far as I've checked).
    Try googling it without vowels, it turns up a few times, it may be that a mistake was made with the name though, so you will have to wait and see if Tanit can comment on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    Try googling it without vowels, it turns up a few times, it may be that a mistake was made with the name though, so you will have to wait and see if Tanit can comment on this.
    Yes, I hope Tanit can comment sometime on this. In the contexts it seems rb would mean governor/general and tm' would refer to military commanders specifically (though not entailing a "general" specifically, unlike rb). I don't know. Where is you Tanit? We need you!
    Former Projects:

I found "Mpqd" when translating. מפקד המחנה is Mpqd Hmnh, which should be equivalent to the Roman Praefectus Castrorum. Type in "Camp Prefect" in English to Hebrew then look up Romanization of Hebrew and click on the mylanguages website link and paste the Hebrew in the left.