Thread: Multiplayer Tournament Rules

Default Multiplayer Tournament Rules

Survivor Tournament Ruleset - ver 0.5.2 (alpha stage):

Setup Round:

An arbitrary number is chosen for every player's starting bank amount in buying a starting army. For the sake of clarity lets say this is 14k. Handicap modifiers can also be introduced here. (i.e. Phil is just too good compared to all the other players, he will only play with 90% of the starting amount). All players choose a faction type (Rome, Ptolemy, etc.)

All players make initial army puchases, units are selected, spending up to the starting bank amount. This may be for more than 20 units. They may also choose not to spend all of their starting money. Additional to this there is also one unit who is the faction leader. He is not part of the initial army cost. He is also upgraded +2 experience chevron's and +1 armor, +1 weapons. Likewise there is one general unit allowed to lead your army. He is +3 experience, +2 armor, +2 weapon. The general may be lost in battle, but to lose your faction leader is sudden death (checkmate).
    After army units are chosen it is revealed to all players each opponent's army composition. Verification is also made that army composition is within budget and there are no objections from the other players.

---

Territories:

Every faction starts with a specified number of territories;

The Capital Territory. Therein resides the faction leader (aka the King, in chess terminology), and a walled city. The city walls may be upgraded in a long game. More on this later. The capital cannot be attacked unless the attacker alreadly owns one of the defender's minor territories.

Minor Territories. These are open ground, pre defined and matched to the home faction's ecology. At best a fort may be built here (house rule). I would suggest either two or three minor starting territories. For an opposing faction to attack the capital, he MUST own a pre-determined number of the defending faction's minor territories.

---

Economy:

Territories; Each Capital territory owned is worth 20% of the starting bankroll (2800), every minor territory held is worth 5% (700)

Maintenance; Each army unit has a maintenance cost every turn; 10% of the purchase value. Additional to this, refit and retraining costs are calculated in too; (i.e. a Macedonian Phalanx unit is comprised of 80 men, initial cost was 1500. In the previous battle 33 men were killed. A replacement man costs 18.75 x 33 = 619)

Weapons and Armor; These upgrades also cost money. They also increase the maintenance cost of the units. In our previous example a Macedonian Phalanx costs 1500, tier 1 adds an 8% increase in cost (1620, 162 per turn maintenace), additional upgrades increase in price exponentially. Previously purchased army units can be returned to the capital and be refitted.

Experience; This can not be bought. For each successful battle where that unit had 20 or more kills they increase +1 in experience. There is no additional per turn maintenance cost.
    ---

Order of Play:

The order of play as follows starts with the initial set up round. After each player has chosen a faction, purchased his starting army, all players are verified to fully understand the starting composition and indicate they are ready to start the game.

Movement Phase; Troops start in the capital, but then may be moved into any owned minor territory. They may also choose to attack an unowned minor territory, or another player's territory. I thought perhaps player order, but I believe now all players should announce their intended movement within a set time (for example, there is a 24 hour movement time limit, a followup 24 hour conflict resolution time limit).

Conflict examples;

• Two or more players wish to attack the same territory. Any players may be allowed to withdraw their army, including the current territory owner. They may also be allowed an alternative attack on another territory of the defending player. If there are more than two players wishing to attack the defending player and nobody will yield the field this will be scheduled as a free-for-all battle.
    • The defending territory owner is also allowed to bring reinforcements from his capital to the minor territory he is defending.
    • At most I think a player should only have to fight two battles per round. My way of resolving this is only to have two minor territories at the beginning of the game. Needs ammending…probably via play-testing.

Battle Resolution Phase; All games are announced, scheduled and resolved. I envision most of them will be 1v1, but I can see where there may be instances of free-for-all matches. Please remember, collusion between two or more players against a third party is to be avoided, and only one player may own the territory at the end of the battle phase.

Economy Phase; Time to lick your wounds, pinch your pennies, and re-group after your hard won (or lost) battles. This is where you add up all your territories owned, and add the amount to your bankroll. Then this phase is where you retrain and upgrade your men, repair/upgrade your capital. And purchase new units, placing them in the home capital. If you have units where you have lost men they must either be retrained, retired and removed from your pool (saves you maintenance costs), or they may be retired to the capital until you have the funds to repair them.

---------
    Original Post:

Hello All,

I'm thinking about trying to get some more of my friends interested in the Total War series. And I was contemplating playing a short LAN tournament with them some night. Since I'm also a bit of a board game geek I was thinking about playing it via a Risk style campaign. i.e. players own territories and fight over said territories.
    I was thinking perhaps Western Europe and the Mediterranean or something. Keep it small. It could actually be played on a real board or just via paper. Since I'm familiar with the battle editor I'm also contemplating keeping all the battle stats too and building each army before the battle. Some ideas I'm tossing around;

* Run what you brung - it would be more of a "survivor" mode. Each player would have persistent armies, that could be replenished with new troops based upon territories one holds. I think this would resolve certain balance issues too because price of units in game be damned, we can set our own price. Not only that we could set "maintenance costs". For example elite units like elephants could have a cost 30% of total purchase price each turn, or something like that. I think that would keep elites from getting too spammy.

* Heroes - With the battle editor one has nearly complete control of the battle configuration. Including general's name, star rating, etc.

* Post Battle Resolution - one key is to keep the game moving. I'm trying to figure out what happens to severely damaged units post battle. I'm leaning toward one of two ideas (or a combination of the two). A: Pay X amount to repair a unit to full strength, if you can't afford to that unit is disbanded. B: damaged units of the same type can be merged.

* There would be no fog of war, but some of the other stuff like assassination attempts, sabotage could be abstracted. Maybe roll dice, or something.

---

Anyway, this is just something I'm rolling around in my head. I'm thinking something like this has to have been played here. Does anyone remember a tournament like this being played. I've looked around for weeks now but haven't found anything. Likewise, I'm looking for opinions on what people think of a tournament like this?

I think my first goal will be to put together a rule book and maybe shoot for a tournament date of New Year's Eve/Day.
    Last edited by Risasi; 11-14-2011 at 13:18.

Default Re: Multiplayer Tournament Rules

I dont know how thats possible on RTW.

How u going to do all this RTW isnt Risk.

Quote Originally Posted by -Stormrage- View Post
    I dont know how thats possible on RTW.

How u going to do all this RTW isnt Risk.
    Because it's not all "on RTW". Re-read his post.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Well, to quote myself:

It could actually be played on a real board or just via paper.
    Heh, I hate when I have to do that. I feel like I failed in my communication. Lack of brevity?

Anyway...

When I said this I was actually thinking keeping stats in a spreadsheet (territory owners, units, what and where, etc). And having a list of what units you can buy, how much they cost to purchase and maintenance costs per turn, where they are located, etc. Make sense?
    Each territory earns you x amount per turn, there would probably be three phases; Pay bills/purchase, move, and battle phase. That's the "risk-like" part I was referring to. I think this still gives one the overall campaign strategy one experiences in SP campaign, yet strings together a bunch of battles, and it would give the battles purpose.
    One could make the "Risk" portion of the game as simple or complex as they like. Fight over flat territories with no attributes, or make it real complex where one could build structures and improve the territory, riots, tax rates, etc. I would opt for the former, my goal being to make a tourney play fast. Something that can be finished in a night or weekend at a LAN party amongst 6-8 guys.

I'm not saying any of this is a good idea. And maybe it's more work than it's worth. That's why I posted it out here to get opinions or ideas.

I'm thinking this has potential for almost any TW game, and any mod for them. And I think it might help with some balance issues experienced in MP. Because you have persistent armies it plays out more like SP campaign mode.
    i.e. What good does it do you to purchase an 10 unit archer stack? Now you have to pay turn maintenance on all those guys, and during the tournament they can easily be chewed up a couple turns later in another battle...

P.S. Props (or blame? ) to Vartan. I'm pretty sure he planted the seed in my mind when he showed me a spreadsheet used for another tournament that he had run before.

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    P.S. Props (or blame? ) to Vartan. I'm pretty sure he planted the seed in my mind when he showed me a spreadsheet used for another tournament that he had run before.
    That was a fun game actually, I wish you had joined us =]

EDIT: Oops I thought you were referring to a forum game hosted by someone else, ahah...
    Former Projects:

I like your idea Risasi.

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    That was a fun game actually, I wish you had joined us =]

EDIT: Oops I thought you were referring to a forum game hosted by someone else, ahah...
    If you mean Jolt's forum game, then yea that was a lot of fun.

While it might be more complex than what Risasi had in mind, I think it would be really cool to do a hybrid version of Jolt's RTW forum game, replacing the random dice roll battles with EBO battles.

The one problem I can think of with such a game would be players that are supposed to battle each other might have a hard time meeting up, especially given the differences in time zones between them. This could be remedied by "auto-calcing" the battle if a player fails to show up.

So, this is generating a little interest. Okay, I'll keep a running log as I work on this. Like I said I think I'm shooting for a New Year's date with my local friends on LAN, and I think the first place to start is try to get a "handbook" put together. Both for my intended purpose; to play in person, and to see if I/we/someone can come up with a way to morph it into a playable tournament for online play.

Please remember, my goal with my friends is to start small, keep the rules simple, keep the player count low and try to play an entire tournament in a weekend or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Risasi View Post
    So, this is generating a little interest. Okay, I'll keep a running log as I work on this. Like I said I think I'm shooting for a New Year's date with my local friends on LAN, and I think the first place to start is try to get a "handbook" put together. Both for my intended purpose; to play in person, and to see if I/we/someone can come up with a way to morph it into a playable tournament for online play.

Please remember, my goal with my friends is to start small, keep the rules simple, keep the player count low and try to play an entire tournament in a weekend or less.
    You should totally go for it, all the power to you Risasi. Let me know if there's any way I can help with the technical side of things. I recommend vanilla EB for the online play since you guys will all be familiar with it. You could use the EB Online EDU but I'm not responsible if your friends complain that they lost their battles because of the EDU's balancing :p
    Former Projects:

so you want me to come over and play a board game with you ?
    Last edited by -Stormrage-; 09-10-2011 at 08:05.

I've still been rolling this around in the back of my head. I got to thinking over the weekend - what if the price of units was based upon campaign prices? And not just initial purchase costs, but also maintenance costs? Does this fix some of the play balance issues? i.e. Perhaps not the first battle, but following battles if you have to pay maintenance on some elephants...remember, I'm thinking between battles you have to pay to fix your damaged units.

Also regarding territory, I'm thinking simplify for now. Think abstract.
    I've been playing RTR-VII lately. They introduced (at least to me) major and minor cities. What if for a tournament each faction starts out with something like three or four territories. Perhaps a major and a few minor. The difference being that a major is a heavily defended city, with serious walls, etc. i.e. It's the capital. The other two or three minor territories are still important, meaning they bring in money for troop retraining/acquisition, but they have poor defenses. No walls, etc. This forces battles in the open for the most territory grabs, but to take a capital (essentially a kill-shot) you gotta take a walled city. How about that?

Remember, I'm trying to keep the rules simple enough to follow and understand, but add enough strategic complexity it makes for an enjoyable tournament. And to give the battles an underlying purpose...

Hello All,

I thought I would post a follow up. I was hoping for some feedback here. I'm actually surprised by the lack of interest. Even a "you're nuts, what are you thinking" would be fair play in my book. :-)
    I know there are a lot of vets that still play, and do keep current on the intricate details of Total War's MP scene. So I really was hoping they would weigh in. I keep thinking this can't be an original idea.

Anyway, this has ended up on the back burner for now. Some of my local friends and I have recently started a hotseat game using the latest RTRVIIa mod. So far it's working okay, but we are only about a half a dozen turns in. We have some PvP battles brewing and will play those out of the campaign and then disband "dead" units in campaign and negotiate transfers of territories and tribute post-battles. Right now only four of us are involved in this hotseat campaign. But, I digress...

I will likely revisit this again sometime in the spring or early summer with my friends, and try to schedule a short tournament to play test the concept of a persistent army. So, I do want to kind of bump this thread again and see if I can get any feedback. Anybody out there have any more thoughts on the subject?

Sent from remote...

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

It's just the worst time for us here. High times are summer and the worst time is winter.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    It's just the worst time for us here. High times are summer and the worst time is winter.
    It would be funny to see a graph on activity throughout the years. I think you'd be right!
    Former Projects:

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel Member Kival's Avatar

It would be funny to see a graph on activity throughout the years. I think you'd be right!
    Interestingly it contradicts intuition: In summer people can go outside etc. while winter tends to force you to be at home more often. Assuming that the number of players from the southern hemisphere is not very big.

‘Abdü’l-Mecīd-i evvel

Quote Originally Posted by Kival View Post
    Interestingly it contradicts intuition: In summer people can go outside etc. while winter tends to force you to be at home more often. Assuming that the number of players from the southern hemisphere is not very big.
    Indeed. Yet if we think about it, at least from my own experience, students have more time away from school during summer compared to winter. I remember having 2 or 3 months off in summer but only 3 or 4 weeks off in winter. And I think many of us are students!
    Former Projects:

Indeed. Yet if we think about it, at least from my own experience, students have more time away from school during summer compared to winter. I remember having 2 or 3 months off in summer but only 3 or 4 weeks off in winter. And I think many of us are students!
    It could merely be demographics.
    Most of my friends who play games with me are *ahem* - more "established" (read older). The youngest guy in my group is 19. The oldest who plays games is going on 45 and has 12 kids. We're all inside hiding from the cold and snow when we aren't at work. This time of the years is the high point of when we play.
    Last edited by Risasi; 02-14-2012 at 04:49.

I've thought about this some more. My end goal is to be able to play a short tournament, or perhaps a laid back "campaign" where much of the empire building is abstracted and the focus is more battle oriented.

Really it's to have battles as time allows among my friends, and that they would occur with an underlying purpose.

This is why I'm pursuing this concept of maintaining a persistent army or armies, that must repaired/retrained from turn to turn. I believe it also fixes some of the problems with MP in many mods, because it changes the economy dynamic. Who cares if you have an elephant spam army if you can't afford to maintain it from turn to turn?

As it stands the current handbook I have above is broken. It's too complex, too kludgy. I'm going to keep working at this and try to simplify and distill this down to something more "pure". But any fresh ideas would be appreciated.

So is this like a 2d-jpeg sort of blank map that we fill (like Risk) and use MP battles to actually establish who wins and so on? That would be cool. But someone would, like you say, have to make a proper little PDF handbook describing the rules and how effects work and so on. It could be great. Take EU3/Risk concepts for the strategic map and use EBO for the MP battles.
    Former Projects:

So is this like a 2d-jpeg sort of blank map that we fill (like Risk) and use MP battles to actually establish who wins and so on? That would be cool. But someone would, like you say, have to make a proper little PDF handbook describing the rules and how effects work and so on. It could be great. Take EU3/Risk concepts for the strategic map and use EBO for the MP battles.
    Yes, that's one way I imagined it. I am actually picturing two styles though. What you're suggesting would be more of a "long game" format. It might take weeks or months to play out. I don't believe the average MP guy will have the patience for that.

* I also thought each territory could have a specific map associated with it. I imagine specific adjoining territory paths. Akin to the original Shogun TW.
    * Perhaps also strategic significance, including but not limited to; specific money earned per turn, walled city vs. open field, military effects such as can only build cavalry/infantry/missile units in specific territories. Things like that.

I can see my friends and me playing a game like this over the course of several weeks. Not necessarily having a clear winner. More of a sandboxing and empire building, with an excuse to go fight battles too. How you make your strategic moves is just as important as how well you fight on the battlefield.
    I think I need to reinstall Shogun 2 and see how their online multiplayer campaign works, probably some good ideas and I can weed out some bad ones too. This is probably too complicated for the average Total War multiplayer. I realized this and that leads me to a second style of play.
    ----

The Dead Pool Survivor Tournament...

In my mind I'm now trying to reformulate this into something distilled down even further, where the territory aspect is removed. No need to keep a map, therefore taking out the need to track troop location and movement. This would be something that could play faster, more of a weekend tournament style of play. Similar to jousting tournaments of old.

* I'm thinking a same kind of play, with "persistent" armies, rounds where money is earned, units repairs and maintenance/upgrades/purchases occur, and then battle challenges are issued, scheduled and fought before the next round starts.

* Rather than set up some sort of double elimination match, I believe a player may participate as long as he can field an army. Rather than be eliminated he would simply concede that he can no longer continue the tournament. Therefore he is no longer open to challenge by another player.

This I do see as more of an elimination based survivor game that wouldn't take as long to play, and would have a clear winner. Does that make sense?