Thread: Total Warhammer?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Total Warhammer?

Name:  warhammer creative assembly long.jpg
Views: 4686
Size:  54.1 KB

So, in somewhat unexpected news, it has been announced that CA have obtained the license to Games Workshop's Warhammer IP and will be creating a Warhammer game. Relevant articles:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...orkshop-games/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...warhammer-deal
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...p#.UMJhy4Ox98E

To be clear, this is the original Warhammer IP, not the (more popular and more well-known) Warhammer 40k IP. What that means, essentially, is that it's an IP for a classic fantasy strategy game, pitting humans against elves against dwarves against orcs, etc. However, Warhammer (both the original and 40k) are hard core strategy games and mesh well with CA's strategy background. While there have been some action oriented Warhammer 40k games in the past, I suspect CA will be working on a strategy game.

In any case, what are your thoughts about this? Good? Bad? Sign of the Mayan Apocalypse?

As far as I am concerned, this is welcome news. I've long hoped for a non-real world IP for the Total War series. While I love the historical titles, there are many limitations in factions, units, geography, etc. that are inherent in historical scenarios. Fictitious settings have no such limitations and are far easier to balance for strategy purposes. While Warhammer is an existing universe which CA will likely be obliged to represent (rather than making up something new), it's also a very well-balanced universe and was built from the ground up for multi-faction competitive strategy. So, it's got a lot of promise. While there's no guarantee that this will be a Total War game, I'm hopeful. While I'm sure many people will be concerned about CA straying away from historical strategy, the articles make clear that this game is being developed by a separate team than the one that's working on Rome 2. As such, it seems more likely to me that CA will continue development of historical TW games in parallel with any future projects, rather than instead of.

Also, I'd like suggest an official unofficial name for the game until we hear otherwise: Total Warhammer.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: Total Warhammer?

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Also, I'd like suggest an official unofficial name for the game until we hear otherwise: Total Warhammer.
    World of Warhammer. Craft.

It would be great to see WFB in the Total War battlefield, I'd be curious to see how they add in magic to the engine. Larger scale Shadow of the Horned Rat/Dark Omen fights. A "take over the world" campaign would be difficult to portray, as entire populations would need extermination when taking over regions for it to be true to the Warhammer worldview, not sure what route they would go there if this is the plan.

All I want for Christmas is the Siege of Praag.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Mordenheim is my guess a small RPG/tabletop game that would be between Total War and Total Warrior.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Good for those players that kept on asking for a fantasy theme :)

I know only little of Warhammer, mostly about the 40k serie, but will definitely check out this one if it turns out to be a valid concept...
    The metalhead in me would love to see a soundtrack for the game, done by Be'lakor \m/
    Last edited by Arjos; 12-08-2012 at 06:08.

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

Can I say right now, on the first page, that I wish the .Org had the confidence to call this forum section "Upcoming TW Titles" and not "Upcoming CA Titles".

Warhammer would make an excellent addition to the TW franchise, so please, please, do not release it as one of the console-lite style action RTS/RPG hybrids.

A Warhammer: Battle for Stormrise Warrior would be a tragedy. Don't do it. Don't contemplate it.

If you must release a console title buy up the rights for Powerangers, or some other such IP.

:)
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I hereby state for the record and officially that ever since I discovered the TW games, I've been CRAVING FOR A FANTASY TW GAME.

And I want magic in it. And a good deal of RPG and story driven campaigns.

Please.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Member thankful for this post:

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    Can I say right now, on the first page, that I wish the .Org had the confidence to call this forum section "Upcoming TW Titles" and not "Upcoming CA Titles".
    I'm optimistic for two reasons. First, they do not appear to be developing their Alien franchise to be a strategy game, so if there's going to be a successor to Spartan and Viking, I'd peg it as Alien rather than Warhammer. Second, Warhammer very naturally lends itself to a strategy game. I have difficult imagining Games Workshop selling out that license specifically to create an action game rather than a strategy game. While THQ has done a few 40K action games for them recently, they're in the significant minority. The vast majority of computer games based on GW IP have been strategy or squad-tactical games. So, not only is Warhammer itself heavily biased towards strategy, they've contracted with one of the biggest names in strategy gaming to make the game. Anything other than strategy would be insane.

That said, a CA strategy game doesn't necessarily have to be a Total War game. Honestly, I don't care what they call it, as long as we get giant battlefields full of elves and dwarves killing each other. I'd buy that even if it was called Warhammered: Dwarf Tossing.

Member thankful for this post: