Thread: Forward Pressure Jobs for 16 year-olds.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Forward Pressure Jobs for 16 year-olds.

I am an oldest child (of 5) with nearly a decade and a half between my youngest 2 siblings. My nearest in age siblings had a similar upbringing. We were not good at or interested in sports and we are not particularly hard workers, nor did we have any specific goal or focus in our studies. We weren't completely lazy, all of us having worked part-time throughout high school without a major gap in employment, but we were not hard working by any standard. Reasonably charismatic in sales. Each of us did food service, then retail and stayed in retail for too long during college, failing to do internships or study abroad programs. I'm the only one to graduate or show any signs of graduating by my mid-twenties. The other two have now set themselves up for failure. I have also set myself up for failure, but at least have a degree to jump start my life if I ever figure out how to have a goal (a goal that I am not rendered ineligible for due to multiple illnesses that make me look like a leper on paper)

My brother and sister are, at this stage, similarly inclined to floating through life without having a goal. They may snap out of this, but looking at their siblings I would bet against it. I still want them to make alot of money, even if they are floaters like myself, so I would like to direct them in a different path. Variables in the younger ones lives include, but are not limited to: They are black and/or Hispanic (adopted), they are good at sports, they don't have the gift of gab that the older 3 had, but are more popular at the compared ages for siblings. Each is attractive and physically fit, moreso than the older 2 (and, possibly, myself), and will likely retain a pleasant complexion in their adulthood which will make it easier to succeed.

Here is the question: In order to avoid being an insurance agent or retail manager and making a low average income in a position that is uninteresting for the rest of their lives - what type of job would be good for a 16 year old to do that would keep them away from retail or food services? Now that I have some successful friends in multiple positions I would feel less weird about leveraging my influence for my siblings than I would for myself. Other friends that I have who are similarly prone to personal failure have done well, usually as a result of older siblings or parents angling influence to get them into high paying positions usually after college. It truly is who you know, if you are not a particularly gifted and goal oriented superhuman.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: clarification, I am not a total failure. I am reasonably successful in my personally life, with a loving wife, decent family relationship, multiple decent friendships with people who would come to the mutual assistance of one another. What I mean is that I am a professional failure at this stage, as a result of a combination of bad luck, poor preparation, and lack of an ability to target or actualize an objective.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-23-2013 at 02:47.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Default Re: Forward Pressure Jobs for 16 year-olds.

16 year olds don't get employed in anything except retail and food.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but in Australia you'd need to be lucky to land any job other than restocking shelves and tending the checkout at that age with no formal qualifications/experience. We're talking a small family business or something, otherwise it's just supermarkets after school - no exceptions.
    And that's at the best of economic times.

Honestly, why do you want to manipulate their direction in life (and "directionless" is a valid direction)?
    You don't even know how you want to manipulate them, you just feel compelled to do so anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

If they are going to float through life, I'd rather them float with money.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Set themselves up their own business. Get them to watch a few episodes of the Apprentice and they always have tasks such as going to a big warehouse, buying things people might want on the cheap, then sell it at inflated prices at a market stall.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Member thankful for this post:

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Well there are multiple jobs a kid of 16 year old can do from working/helping on a farm, waitering, help with basic administration tasks in a small company, working at a factory,... However i'm not sure if that necessarily what you might really help them develop character and abilities. Well except for working on a farm. If they're old enough they might be able to work as a camp leader for special need children or something that might be something that could really enrich them, though they'd have to be open minded about it or some ling of volunteering job. Those are not bad to put on a cv either, though when it comes to this helping with administration might then be the best solution.

Of course there's the final option of instead of working you could send them for period to live abroad or study abroad. It is perfect for enriching them culturally and helping them to really learn a new language, which is a skill that does help quite a bit in both the Academic world as well as in the business world.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Desire must come from within.

Plenty of people have clawed their way up the service ladder.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

you could always live life like Robert Guiscard

my advice would be to find a part time job, save what you can, invest it, and get an education or training with it in something practical and marketable.

you could also try, as has been suggested, to start a business of your own.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Have them born wealthy.

OR

Tell them to start their own religion. Enjoy the life of floating around, sleeping with girls who just finished their first acid trip.
    Last edited by a completely inoffensive name; 06-24-2013 at 07:47.

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    You don't want them to work retail and food? Then make them work retail and food, so they can learn to hate it.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

So a recent survey I heard about on the radio said something like 77% of Americans do not like their job. Some responses included 77% of Americans were ungrateful for their job. Off your ass and on your feet, you gotta work if you wanna eat. Anyhow, apparently, you are not the only one that does not like his/her job.

Do not think for a second that day care centers for young or retirement homes for old are a cakewalk, but they are both places where entry level workers can find opportunities. Part time seasonal jobs can help build a resume so you can get into those places. Part time seasonal can include lifeguards, summer camp supervisors, or zoo attendants. Fun will not find you but if you have some imagination, you can make a job fun.
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ICantSpellDawg View Post
    Let them float how ever they want!
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.