Thread: Forward Pressure Jobs for 16 year-olds.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Default Forward Pressure Jobs for 16 year-olds.

I am an oldest child (of 5) with nearly a decade and a half between my youngest 2 siblings. My nearest in age siblings had a similar upbringing. We were not good at or interested in sports and we are not particularly hard workers, nor did we have any specific goal or focus in our studies. We weren't completely lazy, all of us having worked part-time throughout high school without a major gap in employment, but we were not hard working by any standard. Reasonably charismatic in sales. Each of us did food service, then retail and stayed in retail for too long during college, failing to do internships or study abroad programs. I'm the only one to graduate or show any signs of graduating by my mid-twenties. The other two have now set themselves up for failure. I have also set myself up for failure, but at least have a degree to jump start my life if I ever figure out how to have a goal (a goal that I am not rendered ineligible for due to multiple illnesses that make me look like a leper on paper)

My brother and sister are, at this stage, similarly inclined to floating through life without having a goal. They may snap out of this, but looking at their siblings I would bet against it. I still want them to make alot of money, even if they are floaters like myself, so I would like to direct them in a different path. Variables in the younger ones lives include, but are not limited to: They are black and/or Hispanic (adopted), they are good at sports, they don't have the gift of gab that the older 3 had, but are more popular at the compared ages for siblings. Each is attractive and physically fit, moreso than the older 2 (and, possibly, myself), and will likely retain a pleasant complexion in their adulthood which will make it easier to succeed.

Here is the question: In order to avoid being an insurance agent or retail manager and making a low average income in a position that is uninteresting for the rest of their lives - what type of job would be good for a 16 year old to do that would keep them away from retail or food services? Now that I have some successful friends in multiple positions I would feel less weird about leveraging my influence for my siblings than I would for myself. Other friends that I have who are similarly prone to personal failure have done well, usually as a result of older siblings or parents angling influence to get them into high paying positions usually after college. It truly is who you know, if you are not a particularly gifted and goal oriented superhuman.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: clarification, I am not a total failure. I am reasonably successful in my personally life, with a loving wife, decent family relationship, multiple decent friendships with people who would come to the mutual assistance of one another. What I mean is that I am a professional failure at this stage, as a result of a combination of bad luck, poor preparation, and lack of an ability to target or actualize an objective.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 06-23-2013 at 02:47.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ