Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 175

Thread: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

  1. #1
    Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,446

    Default 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Well to start thing of I'll give you guys my take on the favourite from group A, Brazil.

    What are your takes on Brazil? Clear favourites or destined to crumble under the astronomical expectations of their compatriots? Who do you think will win? How do you rate the teams and players? Which players are going to set the World Cup alight?

    Brazil

    World cup Group A will be interesting. It will contain many games that could be decisive and thus will be hard-fought. Croatia (ranked 18th on the FIFA/coca-cola world ranking), Mexico (20) and Kameroon (56) are all decent teams who can win and lose from each other. However interesting this will be, all eyes will be on Brazil. Hosting some of the most exciting talent and playing in their own backyard. Will they make the dream come true?

    The world fears brazil, as always. They never even missed a world cup and are the only team to do so. But in their own country they are even more dangerous than usual. The world cup has been won 6 times by the team hosting the tournament that year. Which doesn’t seem that much, but we must consider that quite a few world cups were hosted by countries that were never contenders, such as South Africa for example. Most world cups were however won by teams from the same region as the hosts. Familiar climate and more support should help them quite a bit. Especially if they face teams who started out with difficult matches or played many of them in the hot North. Especially the European teams will suffer from this. Even worse, television and media forces many games to be played at noon, which is madness even if they allow for drinking stops.

    However home advantage is tempered by the pressure the Brazilian players might have. Expectations are high and that might bite them. In a time with so much protest against hosting the world cup, you better win it as well if you want to avoid them getting worse.

    Brazil might however be a bit of the exception when it comes to home advantages: they won them in Sweden (1958), South Korea-Japan (2002), the US (1994), Mexico (1970) and Chile (1962). So perhaps they are more comfortable when there’s less pressure on them. Favourites have often failed to perform, let’s not forget about France dramatic group exit in 2002. That year however it was Argentina who was seen by bookmakers as the team with the best chances, yet that year Brazil lifted the trophy. While in 1998 and 2006 when they were favourites, they didn’t make it.

    Yet they comfortably won the Confederations cup last year in which they demonstrated pure class, lead by an inspiring performance of Brazil’s latest world star: Neymar. However no winner of the confederation cup has ever gone on to win the World Cup. Brazil also won the previous two editions, yet failed to perform in the following World Cups, losing both times in the quarter finals from France and the Netherlands, neither of whom would claim the title that year.

    The team: Forwards and midfielders

    It is not their past, nor old statistics which define a team; it’s the players and their coaching staff. Without a doubt the Seleção has some of the most talented players and great squad depth. Most players on the bench would walk into the first team squad of almost any team. Only Germany and Spain can compete with Brazil on this aspect. To illustrate we’re talking about players of the following calibre: Dante (Bayern), Maxwell (PSG), Maicon (AS Roma), Ramires and Willian (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Man. City), Hernanes (Inter) and Henrique (Neapoli). This is almost a squad able to compete for the finals as well.


    Good enough? Fred, centre forward.

    Are there no weaknesses to this squad then? Well yes there are. Fred and Jô will be the main strikers and while they are not up to the same class as the rest, especially Fred has integrated well into the team . But if there’s one team that has players on all positions who know how to score it is Brazil, as always. Considering who will be feeding him, it will be hard for first choice striker Fred not to score a few.

    Brazil’s midfield is very talented, yet none have really had a great season. The centre is made up by Gustavo, Oscar and Paulinho. Gustavo was no longer good enough for Bayern Munchen and was transferred to rich but unglamorous Wolfsburg last august. Were he did play regularly (29 apps in the bundesliga) and even was one of the better players capping 3 man of the match performances and four goals.

    Paulinho was transferred this season as well and was part of the 100 million euro splash made by Tottenham. He played almost every game but never really convinced, though scoring 6 goals in the premier league. More was expected from someone with his price tag.

    Oscar the youngest but probably most talented of this trio didn’t have a good season at all. While starting brilliantly the twenty-two years old playmaker quickly got into a dip and was outshined by a very productive Eden Hazard. As the season was getting to an end Willian was Mourinho’s preferred man and Shürrle and Salah were getting more play time in his place. A thigh strain did not help him either.

    However he always seemed to be better when playing for the Seleção, not unlike Neymar, with whom he combines effortlessly on the field. Nor does anyone deny the abundance of talent this young lad possesses. The recent published study by the CIES football observatory ranks him as the second most valuable Brazilian, earning him the 12th spot worldwide, with an estimated market value between 46.0 and 53.4 million euro’s.

    Between the midfield and the central forward, there are two prolific goal scorers running along the sidelines. Hulk whose ability to score long ranged goals hasn’t been seen since the heydays of former Argentine striker and all-time leading goal scorer Batistuta. And may I say he’s coming to the World Cup in quite good shape as well, ending his season with 8 goals in 8 games.


    One to watch: Neymar

    On the other side of the pitch we will be able to admire, the name has been dropped a few times already, Neymar. A superstar in his home country who is grabbing one man of the man performance after another when playing for his national team. He’s the man everyone will be watching. While his season at Barcelona wasn’t a smash hit, he has shown he does have the qualities to make it there. Though club success and performance doesn’t warrant the same on international level, as his team mate Messi has often demonstrated.

    The fifth most valuable footballer in the world made ‘only’ 9 goals and 8 assists in La Liga this season, but in the last 14 international games (since the start of the confederations cup) he scored 11 and provided 7 assists. As we all know, what Neymar does best is dribbling. Most teams will hence at least double up on him and put their defensive focus on him, giving others more room and space. But with his 49 successful dribbles in the Champions League last year (the most of all players), this attention and fear is warranted.

    Defence and goalkeeper

    As I said earlier there doesn’t seem to come an end to the talent and quality in this squad. The Defense of Brazil is rock solid and can play football as well. Thiago Silva is probably the best current centre back of the world, facing only competition from the likes of Ramos, Pique and Kompany. His partner in the centre is David Luiz who recently became the most expensive defender in the world following his move to PSG. While he is technically one of the most gifted defenders of the game, he can be rash in his actions which could lead to mistakes. Which was the reason he no longer was getting first team starts at Chelsea or was playing as a defensive midfielder.


    Thiago Silva, team captain

    Brazil always had great wing backs, think of Roberto Carlos or Carlos Roberto, and this holds true again. Dani Alves has been instrumental to Barçelona’s attacks for years. Not only a great with the ball on his feet but a good defender. However no Barcelona defender made as many fouls nor was dribbled by other players as frequently as him. His attacking nature does allow space for counter attacks. Marcelo is a bit of the same mold as his colleague on the other side,but has a much better defensive record this year. He committed less than half as many fouls and was dribbled half as many times. The Real Madrid player did make less interceptions by quite a margin though.

    And when does the wealth of talent stop we did ask? Well here, the goalkeepers. While one shouldn’t go as far as to call them second rate, they have yet to cross the Atlantic and play for either Brazilian and Canadian teams. Well it would be wrong to simply dismiss them for that reason we can’t simply deny that they don’t compare to what most bigger teams have to offer in goal: Germany’s Neuer, Italy’s Buffon, Spain’s Cassillas, France’s Lloris, Uruguay’s Muslera or Belgium’s Courtois. Hell, I’d prefer Australia goalkeeper Ryan above any of the Brazilian ones.

    In a competition with so many one game knock outs, one can’t have a goalkeeper making mistakes. Penalty shout outs playing such a big part in this competition, one cannot help but see a problem here.


    Experienced manager: Scolari.

    The cherry on top of this cake is the coach. Scolari has the experience,the knowhow and both management and people skills to make this team the winners. He has done it before in 2002 and got Portugal to a second place in the 2004 Europe Championship.

    in short:

    key players:
    Neymar and Thiago Silva

    form (last ten games): 9 wins, 1 loss

    most likely squad: (4-3-3)

    Cesar
    Alves, Luiz, Silva (c), Marcelo
    Oscar, Gustavo, Paulinho
    Hulk, Fred, Neymar(*)



    Verdict and prediction

    With the quick feet of Neymar and the proper and experienced guidance of Big Phil, Brazil could win it. Their biggest worry will be mistakes from Luiz or Cesar and the how they will deal with the pressure and protests.

    Prediction: I wouldn’t be surprised if they get kicked out the quarter finals, nor would I be surprised by them lifting the trophy. Having to pick one of the two, I’ll go with the controversial only reaching the quarter finals. Why? Because controversial is always more fun.

    I'm probably going to this for all the bigger name squad, but hopefully I'll be able to keep it shorter. I guess I got carried away.
    Last edited by Moros; 06-05-2014 at 17:41.

    Members thankful for this post (2):



  2. #2
    Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,446

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    USA (Group G)

    Group G: their adversaries.


    This one has been called the Group of death by some. Which I disagree with. I think Group B, C and D are better picks to carry that name. When you know that almost everyone agrees on who’s going to top the Group, there can’t be that many real challengers in there. Obviously I’m talking about Germany here. One of the favourites like always. Though I don’t think they are going to win it, they for some reason didn’t make that much progression. While they are still a powerhouse without any doubt, somehow I feel like they are collection of very fine talents that in the future will take the world cup by storm. But then again I was thinking the same thing last world cup as well. I feel they’ll end up in third, again.

    However they are a class or more above the other teams in this group. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t think the US or the other teams are bad or anything. Not even by World cup standards, but rather mediocre. But a mediocre team to world cup standards is far from an insult. Especially considering Portugal having only a population of 6 million, Ghana having the disadvantage that many players who go play in Europe will choose for their new countries and the fact they don’t have the infrastructure and money for good youth development. Neither is it a bad accomplishment for the US, where “soccer” doesn’t have the top spot as it has in many other countries. Considering the number of nations “soccer” is popular (probably is the number 1 in the world?) being an average team within the 32 best of the world is quite an achievement.

    However if we are honest both Ghana and Portugal are over the hill. The important players from the relative past either are older or even retired. However both have individuals that can make a serious difference. Everybody knows what a threat Ronaldo is to any team. But to be frank Portugal is almost a one trick pony, the only other player that really is of the highest quality and can really influence a game is Moutinho. If one of these isn’t fully fit and the other can be kept out of the game, well you’ve got a team with a decent defence and an unproductive attack already. If Israel can manage to draw against them twice during the qualifiers that does say something. Russia - while beaten in Portugal with a 1-0 end score - did win their home game with 1-0 against the Seleçao and topped the qualifying group. Hence Portugal had to dug out with Sweden in two play-off games. Portugal’s pony however did stood out and did deliver when Portugal needed him. CR7 scored all four Portuguese goals in the two matches against the Vikings.

    So how does the US compare? Team analysis.

    Well it’s difficult to say. They are better than most Europeans would like to acknowledge. In my eyes they have a realistic chance of going trough. However we can’t say there’s truly an abundance of talent either. But the US have made it out of the group stages before and never due to finesse. Team play, a hard work rate, fitness and strength have taken them pretty far in the past. Yet they probably have a very technical and a Europe proven goals scorer in Clint Dempsey. Probably the best American performer on clublevel ever. Zusi (or as many may know him ‘the Donovan replacement’) has a very fine cross, good indirect free kick and can be a creative spark (averaging 3 key passes a game this season). The centre forward position would be either Wondolowski or Altidore. The latter has finally ended a dry spell for club and country dating back to December 4th when scoring a brace against Nigeria. I expect him to be in the starting eleven because he clearly has refound his confidence again (while not scoring, he was also a threat in the Turkey game). He simply has the power every top team wants and requires of a lone striker these days .


    Right winger Zusi. Who is Landon Donovan again?

    In goal they have two good options. Guzan and Howard both are premier league proven goalkeepers, who I think are even some of the better of that league. This will help a lot when it comes set pieces or penalties. But defence and the centre midfield did seem worrying and unstable in the games I saw. While the US is good at recuperating the ball after losing it and are capable of pressuring as a team, too often were they too vulnerable through the centre. Nor did they cope well will long balls forward. They don’t seem to be able to prevent opposition chances. The game, even when they lead, always remain so open. The opposition can at times just run through the middle unchallenged. While a very fit squad (all MLS players are very fresh as well), this will consume a lot of energy, especially considering the climate. Even more troubling is the fact they seem to give away penalties easily.

    Previous games

    While they got a wins against Nigeria and Turkey, the latter was due to a whole lot of luck. The number of shots the Turks missed and the number of changes they were gifted is staggering. I cannot see a team like Germany being so kind, nor could I see them keeping a player as Ronaldo at bay. The US can hence better be praying CR7 will not be fully fit when they meet, or that Portugal under performs as they have done quite a few times in the past.
    Ghana while over the top still has a few big names running around. Muntari, Essien and Kevin Prince-Boateng for example are as strong as they get. While Marseille’s Ayew and Juventus’ Asamoah are an attacking threat to any team. The US could beat them, but they would all need to perform their best, tighten the back line and midfield and not try to out power them. They should try to play real football instead.

    Ideally the US would play counter attacking football. That could definitely work with the passing range of Zusi, the speed of Dempsey and the strength of Altidore. They really have shown they can counter attack and that they can play direct football, but their defence really wouldn’t be able to cope I feel. On the other hand, the US seem to make a habit of over performing. Recent wins (though friendly) against the likes of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Turkey, Germany and Nigeria are promising results. But most of the games I saw didn’t seem to back this up. The one against Turkey, in which they weren’t solid in the back at all, was wonder they won. I also saw them play against Belgium twice and well they were completely dominated. However they do seem to be able to create a goals easily, even against the better teams.

    In short:

    Key players: Dempsey, Howard, Zusi

    Form: 6 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses in last 10 games

    Likely starting squad (4-4-1-1):

    Howard
    Cameron, Besler, Gonzalez, Johnson
    Zusi, Jones, Bradly, Davis
    Dempsi
    Altidore

    Verdict:
    They have a chance to going through, a bigger one than one would expect knowing they have to compete with Portugal and Germany. However they are overachievers and Portugal tend to be the opposite. Ghana is a formidable adversary too, yet the US has the quality to see them off as well. However if this is going to happen they will need to solidify their defence.

    prediction:
    they will be contenders for second spot in their groups phase. However if they get through they will most likely face off against Belgium and lose to them, again. Don’t want to be subjective here, but in the friendly game last year they simply were a different class.
    Last edited by Moros; 06-10-2014 at 19:30.

  3. #3
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Bradley is going to be key, if he can control the midfield we should do well.

    Best case scenario, first round we beat Ghana, Ronaldo aggravates his knee against Germany, Germany wins. Second round, Germany clinches against Ghana, we get at least a point from Portugal. Third round, Germany rests their starters, US gets out of the group.

    Edit-> Group G is the Group of Death. B, C, and D all have one team without a chance. Anyone can advance out of G, and anyone apart from Germany has a good chance of going home.
    Last edited by drone; 06-11-2014 at 03:53.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  4. #4
    Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,446

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Bradley is going to be key, if he can control the midfield we should do well.
    Yes, but I haven't seen him do that against a weakened Turkey side, which I rate lower than Portugal and not much higher than Ghana. The midfield was so open to me. Defence in general as well. Where is Onyewu? He'd at least give some extra power and heading capabilities. You do indeed have the advantage to face Germany last, when they are likely already through. However, if they would rest A team players, be sure that their B team wants to show Löw they deserve to be in the A squad as well. Most of them would walk into the A squad of most nations as well. I haven't seen the Nigeria match though (just a few highlights), possibly they were looked more solid there?

    But in all fairness I was thinking of putting Bradley in the key players section. But I can put only so many. And attacking players are always more visibly influential. If Zusi gives a nice free kick or cross, I could easily say how right I was. He's important actualy, the US has done better when he was on (forgot the numbers though), but I think the holding midfield will not be able to really cope with most. The US will need some luck and efficiency in front of goal to qualify. But that is no shame facing two big names in qualifiers already. Had they been in group H for example, I think they were very likely to get through. Also I'd really would have loved to see the US vs Russia, for old time sake.

    Group G is the Group of Death. B, C, and D all have one team without a chance. Anyone can advance out of G, and anyone apart from Germany has a good chance of going home.
    I'd say anyone can advance out of C as well. Japan can, Greece can, Ivory coast can and certainly Columbia can. Where as if we'd add US in group B or D we wouldn't be betting on them going through either.

    Anyway I wish you guys luck cause, I wouldn't mind our NT's meating up in the second round. But also because we Europeans and South American always underestimate you guys.

  5. #5
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    I'd say anyone can advance out of C as well. Japan can, Greece can, Ivory coast can and certainly Columbia can.
    Yes any one could get out of the group (I'm thinking Greece is the weakest), but you can't really call any of them powerhouses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Where as if we'd add US in group B or D we wouldn't be betting on them going through either.
    If the US replaced Oz (B) or Costa Rica (D), then I would agree. If they replaced any of the other teams then they would have a pretty good chance of going through. Group G just doesn't have any easy games, and the travel schedule is by far the worst.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  6. #6
    Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,446

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Yes any one could get out of the group (I'm thinking Greece is the weakest), but you can't really call any of them powerhouses.
    Columbia certainly is. Ivory Coast is pretty damn close to it as well. Japan doesn't have that many top players but they are very good as a team and combine so well and fast. I think they'd all take the second place in group G. Except for Columbia which could even take first place.

    Columbia =Germany
    Ivory coast >Portugal
    Japan > US
    and Greece > Ghana

    Of course that's just my opinion.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    go go kross kountry kickball
    "The good man is the man who, no matter how morally unworthy he has been, is moving to become better."
    John Dewey

  8. #8
    Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    4,306

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Ouch, that hurts, I don't care if you're world champions.

    Two major mistakes from the referee, I'd say there was no penalty and before the third Dutch goal van Persie definitely fouled Casillas. In a way, they cancel each other out, but there are too many mistakes for my liking so far.

  9. #9
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Nobody expected this, Spain is really good. Was a joy to watch for us Dutchies of course. I hope we haven't used all blessings of the footballgods. Nice to see the Dutch team dominating again.

  10. #10
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Well done Costa Rica, CONCACAF doing well so far.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  11. #11
    Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posts
    4,306

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    I made a bet on Costa Rica after they conceded and made a fortune. Fortune being cca. 10 euros as I invested about 1.5 :D

    Good enough for a round of drinks.

  12. #12
    Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    12,283
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Oh man, Germany up 2-0 against Portugal and Pepe just got a red card. Really hoping for the USA's sake that the Germans pile on the goals in the second half.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.


  13. #13
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Oh man, Germany up 2-0 against Portugal and Pepe just got a red card. Really hoping for the USA's sake that the Germans pile on the goals in the second half.
    Muller baited Pepe into that one. Much thanks to ze Germans. 4 goals in, plus the US gets a Pepe-less, knackered Portugal for the second game. Hopefully Altidore isn't out, we are going to need as many bodies as possible.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  14. #14
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Nice game team America

  15. #15
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Muller baited Pepe into that one.
    How? Pepe hit Müller in the face, Müller fell and then Pepe gave him a small headbutt.
    As far as I understood the headbutt was given because Müller didn't get up right away or something but then again I'm not good at understanding angry rich people logic.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  16. #16
    Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    13,446

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Muller baited Pepe into that one. Much thanks to ze Germans. 4 goals in, plus the US gets a Pepe-less, knackered Portugal for the second game. Hopefully Altidore isn't out, we are going to need as many bodies as possible.
    Haven't heard about him, but it looked like hamstrings which would mean the end of his tournament.

  17. #17
    One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Nowhere...
    Posts
    11,757

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    altidore man, he played at AZ :P good player.

    We do not sow.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    9,103

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    USA USA USA

    Well played!
    #Hillary4prism

    BD:TW

    Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

    Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

  19. #19
    Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    12,283
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    So Group B's apparently decided to be *that* group this year. As somebody who's been seriously following the sport for the first time, I'm officially putting the rest of their matches into the "must see" category.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.


  20. #20
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Spain better get their together, or they are going home early. Down 0-2 at the half.

    For a 0-0 draw, that Mexico-Brazil game was a lot of fun. I thought the ref did a pretty good job of letting the minor stuff go, and they just went at it.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  21. #21
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Netherlands vs Australia was fun as hell. These ozzies are no pushovers. Enjoyed it more than the match against Spain. These ozzies are badass.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-18-2014 at 21:36.

  22. #22
    Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East of Augusta Vindelicorum
    Posts
    5,575

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Spain is out!


    Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

  23. #23
    Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    On a pirate ship
    Posts
    12,283
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Okay, a question for everyone who actually knows things about this sport: Will Spain and Australia still play each other? There's absolutely nothing at stake, and my gut is telling me that they do, but I just want to make 100% sure.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.


  24. #24
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    The Chileans were fun to watch, and a deserved victory for them.

    Edit: Yes, they will still play and there is something at stake and that is Spain's last remaining bit of self respect...
    Last edited by Husar; 06-18-2014 at 23:49.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  25. #25
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Yes, they do play. And I'm thinking the Aussies have a decent chance.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  26. #26
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    No Spain ain't playing anymore, they got the adios. Quite a spectacular fail for the title-holder but that's football, anything can happen.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-19-2014 at 04:53.

  27. #27
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Yes they will.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  28. #28
    Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East of Augusta Vindelicorum
    Posts
    5,575

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    England lost their second game. Out!


    Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

  29. #29
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,212

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    England lost their second game. Out!
    They aren't out yet. If Italy beats Costa Rico tomorrow, and then beats Uruguay in their last game, and England puts Costa Rico to the sword for their final game, they can get through. Italy 9 points, everyone else 3. First tiebreaker is goal differential, then goals scored, then head-to-head.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  30. #30
    One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Nowhere...
    Posts
    11,757

    Default Re: 2014 World Cup discussion & Analysis

    yup, this is true, but england wont beat costa rica XD

    We do not sow.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO