Thread: Rebellion in Virginia

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Rebellion in Virginia

Eric Cantor is the US House Majority Leader, one of the most powerful Republicans in office. And he just got smoked by 11% in the GOP primary for his district (VA 7th, basically everything between Richmond and Northern VA) by an unknown professor with Tea Party backing. Obligatory Nelson here.

So David Brat gets to run against the Democrat Jack Trammel, another unknown professor, in the general election in November, with Cantor only able to be a write-in on the ballot. Brat will probably win, the 7th is conservative by design. So Virginia loses some influence in the House, but also rid itself of a ginormous tool. Cantor wasn't even in his district the day of the primary election, he was so sure of victory he was in DC talking to lobbyists. Having another Tea Party nutjob (I'm assuming, I know next to nothing about Brat, not my district) in Congress isn't really a good thing, but he'll get marginalized and maybe the door will hit Cantor in the rear on his way out, resulting in an amusing pratfall. A hearty "Well Done" to my fellow Commonwealth citizens to the south.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Default Re: Rebellion in Virginia

Good to see the Commonwealth is headed for more fun this November. And the winners are: The political consultants and voice-over talent who will make the multitudes of ads that will plague you from this point forward.

Seriously, VA is headed into the Dem camp for a long time. The pop centers of the Northern six counties have trended liberal for a while and the Richmond and Norfolk burgs are a lock. With the economic downturn putting MORE folks into the urban centers over the last 5 years or so, the swing left is likely to stick for some time to come -- not quite the lead pipe cinch MD or DC are, but much more in line with their Northern neighbors.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh View Post
    Good to see the Commonwealth is headed for more fun this November. And the winners are: The political consultants and voice-over talent who will make the multitudes of ads that will plague you from this point forward.

Seriously, VA is headed into the Dem camp for a long time. The pop centers of the Northern six counties have trended liberal for a while and the Richmond and Norfolk burgs are a lock. With the economic downturn putting MORE folks into the urban centers over the last 5 years or so, the swing left is likely to stick for some time to come -- not quite the lead pipe cinch MD or DC are, but much more in line with their Northern neighbors.
    With Virginia rejecting the Republicans and declaring for the Democrats, will we see the state fragmenting further? Perhaps not-quite-so-west Virginia, east-but-not-including-that-bit-Virginia? Will the Virginians be banking on British intervention to save their cause?

Member thankful for this post:

Husar 

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Nothing new, at least not up here in NoVa. The calls and ads have been quite obnoxious over the past few election cycles.
    I don't think the Commonwealth has shifted much politically one way or another, Virginia is and has been "functionally conservative". The GOP has gotten away from the "functional" part of that, at the state level the party has completely lost it's mind. Cantor being an arrogant, self-serving twat, McDonnell's tendency to take money under the table, the Cuccinelli convention fiasco, etc. The Democrats have been smart, nominate moderate, non-bat- crazy candidates and let the Republicans self-destruct. If/when the sane Republicans reclaim the party, I'm pretty sure the state will go back to electing them.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The idealist in me hopes that the Republicans will realize that the far right cannot be placated and hopefully move back to the center.

I predict disintegration and open war by the end of the month.
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Members thankful for this post (3):

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a completely inoffensive name View Post
    The idealist in me hopes that the Republicans will realize that the far right cannot be placated and hopefully move back to the center.
    That's gonna take a while. That far right are still a needed voting block for the Republicans, even if the more sane Republicans know that they're toxic.

The idealist in me hopes that you won't end up with a terrorist group from it. That chase after the proper purist that will never be a traitor and compromise sounds a lot like cultists searching for a cult leader.
    The "good" news in that scenario is that it would probably kill off the extreme rethoric through association.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore View Post
    I predict disintegration and open war by the end of the month.
    That district includes both Chancellorsville and Marye's Heights......you can hear the rebel yells if you listen closely enough to the winds.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Blog Entries

Hrm, cantor was evicted supposedly for being too liberal, doesnt bode well for his replacement.

Join us next week on why the american political system scares me. with your host Grey "why-do-I-bother" Blades
    Last edited by Greyblades; 06-12-2014 at 20:12.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: