Results 1 to 28 of 28

Thread: Hatred.

  1. #1
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Hatred.

    So, I stopped following this forum since it moves too fast for me. I wanted to introduce this thread because I was curious about different perspectives on this issue. This forum has a healthy mix of Americans on one hand and the rest of the world on the other. I'm just going to copy paste what I posted on Mobius. I can't be bothered rewording my own words.

    "So, many of you might have heard of this game. This is the game the media have been waiting to go ape-shit over. The premise of the game? Just kill every single civilian you see. A lot of gamers are hating on the game, saying it's gone too far. Others are ecstatic, and can't wait to play. I, on the other hand, am not ecstatic. But it doesn't mean I won't give it a shot.

    My take on video games affecting people is this. Video games should NOT dictate the way someone should live their life. It's a story, or an experience, something competitive or something to pass the time. In this case, the story is very minimal, it's a very intense and hardcore experience. But I can imagine that this game could be difficult (it's a sadistic horde mode), but is something that you can easily waste time on. A lot of people are calling this game pathetic, and that due to the lack of story, makes it meaningless. When I play a game, I like to give the character a story. This game allows that.

    I'm curious about your thoughts on this game, especially from a group of people who don't seem to play shooters too often."


    Here is the gameplay trailer. NSFW
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

    Last edited by Beskar; 12-07-2014 at 13:02.


  2. #2
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Can't say I apreciate that. If there isn't anything clever underneath it's a no.

  3. #3
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Hatred.

    That gameplay trailer should at the very least contain a warning for very graphic violence if it fits our forum rules at all. (I'll let the mods decide that)

    As for the game, I'm not a fan at all. If "I" do something in a game, it helps if I get at least a chance to identify with the character or there is some sense behind what he is doing. This game has none of that, the character you play is quite frankly an idiot who does things I abhor. And it's not making me think about the subject matter either because I already thought about it for years and came to the above conclusion. So while they might have a right to make the game, I would like to see them sell very few. And if the character in the game weren't an idiot, he would just shoot himself in the intro. IMO this is just an attempt to make money by shocking, crossing yet another frontier of decency or whatever one might call it and just going for the "I'm not with the masses!" or "Bloood!! Violence!! *drool*-crowd. Yes, there may also be people who play it because they think it's some sort of intellectual exercise to play this "piece of art" that takes such philosophical stance on life and blabla, but quite frankly I think they're just fooling themselves. Murdering innocent people in cold blood for no good reason is not something I want to recreate, spend money on or see otherwise promoted, no matter how it's dressed up.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  4. #4
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Yeah. Manhunt is inredibly violent but it's really a pretty clever game that makes you think about loving violence. Postal is so self-conciously rediculous that murdering everything is hilarious. I don't like this one judging from the trailer at least.

  5. #5
    Member Member Gilrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,989

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    ... Americans on one hand and the rest of the world on the other...
    Isn't it an extract from Putin's recent Valdai speech?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

  6. #6
    Member Member Greyblades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    8,405
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Hatred.

    My first thought was: "Thanks for giving mainstream media more ammo and setting gaming's image back 15 years Destructive Creations, you controversy profiting jackasses."

    Then I watched the video and realized deep down in my heart that the ultimate truth is that they are actually controversy profiting assholes.
    .
    Last edited by Greyblades; 12-06-2014 at 16:10.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.


    Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  7. #7
    Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,233

    Default Re: Hatred.

    And yet, how many times has this very scenario been played out in the cities of the US?

    Virginia Tech campus, Sandy Hook Elementary School, Fort Hood, Columbine High School, Washington Navy Yard, and on...and on....and on....

    A sick, but rather telling story of madness in America...
    High Plains Drifter

  8. #8
    Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In a calm spot
    Posts
    733

    Default Re: Hatred.

    No. Just no. Feels very wrong to me. A game the world doesn't need.

    Apart from that: What IS the goal of the game? Shoot as many people before the police takes you down? What is the appeal of the game? Obviously not aesthetics or finesse. Realistic senseless violence (will we get "immersive pleads for mercy")?

    The opening screen made me laugh though: "May contain content inappropriate for children."

    Oh, really!?

  9. #9
    Member Member Crandar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Alpine Subtundra
    Posts
    840

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Max Payne 2 had better graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by I of the Storm View Post
    Apart from that: What IS the goal of the game?
    The goal of this game is to make its producers richer and when you lack both creativeness and financial resources, controversy is the easiest way to maximize your sales.
    In the meantime, a couple of sociopaths will enjoy it a bit, while pretending that they study the hard, philosophical dilemmas that its gameplay concerns.

    Member thankful for this post:

    Husar 


  10. #10
    Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In a hopeless place with no future
    Posts
    8,646

    Default Re: Hatred.

    I am morally outraged by this.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

  11. #11
    Ni dieu ni maître! Senior Member a completely inoffensive name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    I live on the org, feeding off of what few thanks are tossed at my posts. It is up to you to make sure I don't starve.
    Posts
    8,683

    Default Re: Hatred.

    I really wish I had not watched that.
    In all these papers we see a love of honest work, an aversion to shams, a caution in the enunciation of conclusions, a distrust of rash generalizations and speculations based on uncertain premises. He was never anxious to add one more guess on doubtful matters in the hope of hitting the truth, or what might pass as such for a time, but was always ready to take infinite pains in the most careful testing of every theory. With these qualities was united a modesty which forbade the pushing of his own claims and desired no reputation except the unsought tribute of competent judges.

  12. #12
    Upstanding Member rvg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    America
    Posts
    3,818

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    I'm curious about your thoughts on this game, especially from a group of people who don't seem to play shooters too often.
    Reasonably good graphics and SFX. I like the switch between the first person and overhead cameras. Not my cup of tea as far as the gameplay goes. No story == boring.
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

    “The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

  13. #13
    master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The EUSSR
    Posts
    30,680

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    And yet, how many times has this very scenario been played out in the cities of the US?

    Virginia Tech campus, Sandy Hook Elementary School, Fort Hood, Columbine High School, Washington Navy Yard, and on...and on....and on....

    A sick, but rather telling story of madness in America...
    Forgot about what happened in Norway. not exclusive to Americs

    This gives people who hate violent games a point they shouldn't have.Resident Evil 4 or Gears of War are gloriiouslly gory but it can't be taken serious. GTA knows it's stupid. I don't like this one, this is off.

  14. #14
    Annoyingly awesome Member Booger Flick Champion, Run Sam Run Champion, Speed Cards Champion rickinator9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    957

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Hatred 2: Blow yourself up and score points for every innocent you kill.

    ---

    I think this would just be like ing around in GTA. You have fun for a while, but you have had enough of it after like 30 minutes.
    rickinator9 is either a cleverly "hidden in plain sight by jumping on the random bandwagon" scum or the ever-increasing in popularity "What the is going on?" townie. Either way I want to lynch him. - White Eyes

  15. #15

    Default Re: Hatred.

    AFAIK, you can't even simulate rapes here!

    I mean, what's the point if you can only execute your victims....
    Vitiate Man.

    History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats


    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  16. #16
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Isn't it an extract from Putin's recent Valdai speech?
    Is it? I had no idea. I said that because of the amount of violence in America is other-worldly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    AFAIK, you can't even simulate rapes here!

    I mean, what's the point if you can only execute your victims....
    That's an interesting point I saw brought up in some of the comments. In this world, murder is seen as being perfectly fine if it's portrayed in movies, TV, video games etc. It's a staple in any action-oriented text. "It's okay, because it's not real". I don't understand these standards. That doesn't mean I'm disgusted by violence presented in this way. It's just interesting to me, that there are certain topics that are still taboo in a format that isn't real. For instance, in Skyrim, you can kill anyone. Except kids. If you're going around extinguishing lives, why does the age matter?


  17. #17
    Member Member Hax's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    5,352

    Default Re: Hatred.

    No no no, nobody here understands, it's actually a parody of how common violence has become in the U.S.

    ..or that's what they're going to say when everything goes to over all this.
    This space intentionally left blank.

  18. #18
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    That's an interesting point I saw brought up in some of the comments. In this world, murder is seen as being perfectly fine if it's portrayed in movies, TV, video games etc. It's a staple in any action-oriented text. "It's okay, because it's not real". I don't understand these standards. That doesn't mean I'm disgusted by violence presented in this way. It's just interesting to me, that there are certain topics that are still taboo in a format that isn't real. For instance, in Skyrim, you can kill anyone. Except kids. If you're going around extinguishing lives, why does the age matter?
    Neither Skyrim nor GTA go to great lengths to dehumanize all the random people you can kill, none of them make this your actual goal. This trailer on the other hand starts by declaring them unworthy or whatever drivel he speaks in the beginning. He says the world is rotten or something. It's not explained, there i no reason given, this guy just says all humans are not worthy and therefore he will kill as many as he can. In Skyrim it is my duty to complete quests given to me by innocents, the game doesn't release me after the intro and show me a counter of innocents I have killed or anything like that. As such I can use my normal moral compass in the game and killing innocents may just feel wrong for normal human beings. Hatred on the other hand seems to make murdering innocents feel like the right thing to do and the trailer doesn't even explain how that conclusion was reached.

    Reasons do matter.

    Add to that that the game has an extra-amount of gore added, to make the killing of innocent people look extra-brutal. Yes, nothing new, view it as a multiplier of the other moral problem though. For the target group, the gore is like the reward for the killing, and they added a huge amount of extra reward for killing people who have apparently not done anything to deserve it. To me it does matter whether I see a killcam of a mercenary getting shot or whether it's a killcam of a guy shooting a businesswoman into the mouth while I don't even know what the businesswoman did to deserve that (for the mercenary I can at least imagine a reason much faster).


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  19. #19
    Do you want to see my big Member spankythehippo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by Husar View Post
    Neither Skyrim nor GTA go to great lengths to dehumanize all the random people you can kill, none of them make this your actual goal. This trailer on the other hand starts by declaring them unworthy or whatever drivel he speaks in the beginning. He says the world is rotten or something. It's not explained, there i no reason given, this guy just says all humans are not worthy and therefore he will kill as many as he can. In Skyrim it is my duty to complete quests given to me by innocents, the game doesn't release me after the intro and show me a counter of innocents I have killed or anything like that. As such I can use my normal moral compass in the game and killing innocents may just feel wrong for normal human beings. Hatred on the other hand seems to make murdering innocents feel like the right thing to do and the trailer doesn't even explain how that conclusion was reached.

    Reasons do matter.

    Add to that that the game has an extra-amount of gore added, to make the killing of innocent people look extra-brutal. Yes, nothing new, view it as a multiplier of the other moral problem though. For the target group, the gore is like the reward for the killing, and they added a huge amount of extra reward for killing people who have apparently not done anything to deserve it. To me it does matter whether I see a killcam of a mercenary getting shot or whether it's a killcam of a guy shooting a businesswoman into the mouth while I don't even know what the businesswoman did to deserve that (for the mercenary I can at least imagine a reason much faster).
    So I assume the main gripe people have with this game is its purpose. I can understand that. The game has no meaning, and as such, I don't really care for its existence. Its a game that was made for the shock factor. The devs could say that it was meant to highlight the animal in man, which I can totally understand. But that message could be achieved without pandering to a sociopath's wet dream. No matter what the devs say, this game is ultimately about killing innocent people. Even though a lot of people are shocked by this game, I don't really care. To me, it's still a game. There are worse things happening in the world right now. And they're real. The shitstorm that is about to cover the presses just kills time while actual tragedies continue to be ignored.

    I dunno, at some point in time, I actually had similar ideals to that character. I wouldn't go to the extent of killing people, but I was certainly misanthropic. Not anymore, but I do look like him. When I saw that trailer, I saw an image of my former self, but with a similar appearance. Made it feel all too familiar.

    EDIT: OK, I kinda lied when I say I don't care about the existence of this game. My only concern is if someone who is mentally disturbed uses this game as inspiration. All those media articles which say video games cause violence are semi-true. Raise your kids right, and they can play all the violent games they want and not want to kill someone in the real world.
    Last edited by spankythehippo; 12-07-2014 at 03:41.


  20. #20
    Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,902

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by spankythehippo View Post
    So I assume the main gripe people have with this game is its purpose. I can understand that. The game has no meaning, and as such, I don't really care for its existence. Its a game that was made for the shock factor. The devs could say that it was meant to highlight the animal in man, which I can totally understand. But that message could be achieved without pandering to a sociopath's wet dream. No matter what the devs say, this game is ultimately about killing innocent people. Even though a lot of people are shocked by this game, I don't really care. To me, it's still a game. There are worse things happening in the world right now. And they're real. The shitstorm that is about to cover the presses just kills time while actual tragedies continue to be ignored.
    Considering the connections the developers have genociding the "unworthy" is probably the meaning of the game (another is to gain money through controversy).
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

    Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

    Members thankful for this post (3):



  21. #21
    Member Member Paltmull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Well, that was disturbing.

    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 


  22. #22
    Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Latibulm mali regis in muris.
    Posts
    11,294

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Spree shooter 301 -- Part of the core curriculum for the enhanced serial killer.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

  23. #23
    Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Isca
    Posts
    13,477

    Default Re: Hatred.

    with every game we should ask "who was this made for?"

    GTA is made for people who want to indulge in criminality/pretend they're in the Sopranos in a cartoonish setting. Skyrim is for people who think Tolkien should have added THEM into the Silmarilion.

    This game is for...

    White dudes who want to kill black dudes and not go to gaol?
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

    [IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

  24. #24
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Hatred.

    You know who else said the people out there are not worthy and deserve to die?
    HITLER!!!


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

  25. #25
    Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Moral High Grounds
    Posts
    9,222

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla View Post
    This game is for...

    White dudes who want to kill black dudes and not go to gaol?
    Join the police and you get better graphics.

    This game looks like a honeypot, to get disgruntled young men on watch lists.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

    If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

    "Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

  26. #26

    Default Re: Hatred.

    If its really about knocking off Negroes, then why - going off the trailer - did the developers not make the targets seem like Others? In the trailer, they look like everyday citizens who beg for mercy with the rest of them.

    Or does that just make it creepier?
    Vitiate Man.

    History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats


    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

  27. #27
    Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    4,902

    Default Re: Hatred.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    If its really about knocking off Negroes, then why - going off the trailer - did the developers not make the targets seem like Others? In the trailer, they look like everyday citizens who beg for mercy with the rest of them.

    Or does that just make it creepier?
    I think the developers are moving around in circles where statements such as "somebody should just kill away the filth" and cheering for Brevik are met with approval. And it's a game for that type of people.

    "My revenge on the world" isn't that uncommon statement by itself, it's just that normally it is on a much, much milder scale. So probably creepier.

    Those are Polish developers, so the negro wouldn't be the prime target anyway.
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

    Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

  28. #28
    Iron Fist Senior Member Husar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    15,617

    Default Re: Hatred.

    It's also unrealistic how he puts all the weapons under his mantle in the same place and the mantle doesn't even bulge. and how does it all not fall down?

    The logistics are ignored, just like the nazis forgot to bring warm mantles to Russia in the first place.
    I hope it will fail in the same way. Also polish nazis are like zebra lions, you'd expect them to eat themselves.


    "Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO