Thread: A new state in the Balkans!

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Cool A new state in the Balkans!

Liberland

Supposedly, there are several small disputed areas between Serbia and Croatia, but a small area of roughly 7 sq km has been left unclaimed by both nations. A Czech citizen, Vít Jedlička, proclaimed a new state called Lieberland there two days ago, claiming it was allowed by international law as it was Terra Nullius.

This is great. I totally support the guy and I'm gonna apply for citizenship.

Although, the funniest variant is that Serbia recognize the country and declare war immediatelly after. We haven't won a war since WW2, so it would be good for morale.

EDIT: It's Liberland, not Lieberland. Curse me for getting the name of my new homeland wrong!
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 04-15-2015 at 18:58.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Default Re: A new state in the Balkans!

Although, the funniest variant is that Serbia recognize the country and declare war immediatelly after. We haven't won a war since WW2, so it would be good for morale.
    Funny.

This is great. I totally support the guy and I'm gonna apply for citizenship.
    This is one of those grand libertarian experiments, right? Like the abandoned oil-rig "states" in the ocean, and suchlike?
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Breaking news: LIBERLAND DECLARES WAR ON EU

Vitiate Man.

Members thankful for this post (4):

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian View Post
    We also used to have our micronation, back in the 90s, until the police raided and executed all its population, giving us our first victory since WWI (or WWII, if Italians can be considered as being able to fight).

Quote Originally Posted by Montmorency View Post
    This is one of those grand libertarian experiments, right? Like the abandoned oil-rig "states" in the ocean, and suchlike?
    He envisages a libertarian country like Monaco, Lichtenstein and such...

Apply for citizenship early. They take anyone who doesn't have a criminal record. Get in while the going's good. We might be talking about a new Hong Kong here.

I just ask, that, since I broke the news to you guys, you vote for me in the next election.

I also promise state sponsored hosting for the .Org.

Member thankful for this post:

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

1. This is awesome. 2. Will they be ready for Euro 2020 qualification?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

I kind of like the name considering Micronesia is taken...

All hail the newest multinational tax haven.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

A pro-Russian rebellion starting in 3, 2, 1....
    "And if the people raise a great howl against my barbarity and cruelty, I will answer that war is war and not popularity seeking. If they want peace, they and their relatives must stop the war." - William Tecumseh Sherman

“The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do.” - Warren Buffett

Members thankful for this post (3):

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"Although, the funniest variant is that Serbia recognize the country and declare war immediatelly after. We haven't won a war since WW2, so it would be good for morale." Not sure it is a good Idea. It is around 20 years NATO didn't have a reason to bomb Serbia...

"A pro-Russian rebellion starting in 3, 2, 1...." THIS is a pro-Russian Rebellion!!!! Start the bombing NOW!

I still have banknotes from the Krajina Republic. Will they be accepted by the Central Bank?
    Last edited by Brenus; 04-16-2015 at 07:09.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    A pro-Russian rebellion starting in 3, 2, 1....
    I just ask, that, since I broke the news to you guys, you vote for me in the next election.
    You have no chance now the rebellion is on - the rebels are sure to vote for Putin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

It doesn't matter. I'll squash them and institute Absolute Monarchy, declaring myself His Godly Imperial Unfu**able Majesty Sarmatian I.

I'll finally have my dream of mandatory topless female (aged 18-25) beach volley.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus View Post
    Not sure it is a good Idea. It is around 20 years NATO didn't have a reason to bomb Serbia...
    We could just spread the rumour that Liberlandians are supporting Russians - then we'd get NATO's blessing for any and all actions necessary.
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 04-16-2015 at 16:13.

Look at our capital! Isn't it glorious? Doesn't it just fill you with pride?

Last edited by Sarmatian; 04-16-2015 at 16:20.

Members thankful for this post (3):

Is there an appricot-tree in the flag? Any ideas about what it symbolizes?

Blog Entries

Ah an economically weak country in the east of europe with no big allies, hmm...

Well, maybe it wont be all bad.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 04-16-2015 at 19:50.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Member thankful for this post:

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

No apricot tree... Plum tree, for the rakia.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

I'll finally have my dream of mandatory topless female (aged 18-25) beach volley.
    Watch your post for spelling and word order mistakes, you must have meant:
    mandatory topless bitch female volley

Look at our capital! Isn't it glorious? Doesn't it just fill you with pride?

Hmm... It looks like Robin Hood oak tree. Do you have any men dressed in green and tights around there? Wait, men dressed in green... I have heard it somewhere...

And, the interview with the President of Liberland conducted in (heavily accented) English, by Zoran Kesic, who hosts a humorous political show inspired by Daily Show and the likes.

The interview starts at about 1:30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberland
    A team of journalists from the Serbian public broadcast service Radio Television of Vojvodina attempted to visit the area to make a news report. They were denied access by Croatian border police without getting any clear explanation, and were also told that the flag had been taken down. One local resident on the Serbian side of the river approved of the project, and said that it could become a tourist attraction. However, a group of Czech reporters managed to successfully enter Liberland later the same week.

Dominik Stroukal from the Czech-Slovak branch of the Ludwig von Mises Institute wrote: "The escapade succeeded for Vít. The whole world reports about Liberland with words like 'tax competition', 'libertarianism', etc."

Unlike our ancestors, explorers, pioneers and brutal colonizers, we've never had a chance to try. Perhaps we could do it differently than they did, given our technological advancement, broader views on race and gender and, one hopes, a more peaceful disposition.

—Leonid Bershidsky (ru), Bloomberg View

A Bosnian group of journalists from Dnevni Avaz who attempted to visit Liberland were told by Croatian police that Croatia enforces a fine of HRK2,500 for those that enter the zone near the border with a car. They went to borrow bicycles from a local, but as they attempted to reach Liberland again, they met another patrol, and they couldn't continue past the border gate.
    Wooooo!!!

Trust Croats to ruin the fun for everyone else.

Now it's time for a Serbian-Liberlandian alliance against Croatia.

Good idea. It'll help all of Europe forget about this whole Ukraine business.
    Vitiate Man.

Trust Croats to ruin the fun for everyone else.
    Mr. Impartial in his element.

Apparently he is not the first one: http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/fea...120858265.html

He soon stumbled across Bir Tawil - 2,060 square kilometres of supposedly unclaimed land on the border between Egypt and Sudan. It wasn't long before he was on a plane to Cairo, flag in tow.
    [...]
    He has applied to the United Nations for observer entity status and appointed ambassadors in Europe in the hope of gaining recognition there. His kingdom recognised Liberland, another recently self-declared micronation between Croatia and Serbia.
    Heaton has reportedly agreed to a deal for Walt Disney Studios and Morgan Spurlock, who produced the show Supersize Me, to make a movie titled The Princess of North Sudan.
    Nothing that could go wrong there.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu