Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swordsmith Workshop

Default Re: Swordsmith Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I can't imagine playing without active pause, especially when I use horse archers in nearly every army (I even buy them as mercenaries if I can't train them). Coordinating all that hit and run (luring) actions in many distant places on the battlefield is simply impossible without pause when 2-3 seconds delay makes huge difference.
    This is perhaps the best reason in a game for using the pause button. Personally I would find it impossible to use Horse Archers correctly without it, because the rest of the army would get trashed whilst I micromanaged them. This applies to Cavalry outflanking maneuvers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Perhaps you are overestimating my merits.
    I think not, especially if you play on any level above normal !

The chief reason why I shy away from key usage is that I have been practicing with battles for five years or so without any awareness of the functions that keys can perform.
    I can't honestly say I use many of the keyboard keys either, but I am aware of what they do...

For instance, I never knew one could press ALT and make the (horse) archers charge, so I used them in a melee only after they ran out of the ammo.
    That is their best function at that point anyway, unless you withdraw them to allow reserves on. I am surprised you were completely unaware of that function though.
    It applies to Foot Archers too and they can be passable foot soldiers when they have good Armour and Weapon bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by DEB8 View Post
    This is perhaps the best reason in a game for using the pause button. Personally I would find it impossible to use Horse Archers correctly without it, because the rest of the army would get trashed whilst I micromanaged them. This applies to Cavalry outflanking maneuvers too.
    Yet I don't use it. I can't say I'm perfect with horse archers yet I use two or three units of them without the pause button.Saladin 2.zip
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

I can't say I'm perfect with horse archers yet I use two or three units of them without the pause button
    Using/not-using the pause button is a matter of personal preference. That you choose to not use it is certainly commendable....but the above statement has a caveat IMHO:

Since Shogun, my favorite unit has been the Horse Archer, and in RTW, they reached the height of their power (or over-power). In Shogun, I typically had at least 4 Cavalry Archers (sometimes more), and in RTW, when playing a HA faction, never less than 6. With that many spread all over the battlefield, sometimes on opposite ends, micro-managing is crucial to keeping them alive (unless you have the luxury of Armenian Cataphract Archers). For me, it's nearly impossible to keep track of them all without use of the pause button.

Having said that, the only other times I use pause is to click on individual units to switch weapons, and to pause the game for an away from the computer break
    High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Using/not-using the pause button is a matter of personal preference. That you choose to not use it is certainly commendable....but the above statement has a caveat IMHO:

Since Shogun, my favorite unit has been the Horse Archer, and in RTW, they reached the height of their power (or over-power). In Shogun, I typically had at least 4 Cavalry Archers (sometimes more), and in RTW, when playing a HA faction, never less than 6. With that many spread all over the battlefield, sometimes on opposite ends, micro-managing is crucial to keeping them alive (unless you have the luxury of Armenian Cataphract Archers). For me, it's nearly impossible to keep track of them all without use of the pause button.

Having said that, the only other times I use pause is to click on individual units to switch weapons, and to pause the game for an away from the computer break
    I believe there's no caveat in it. I didn't say I had 2 or 3 units of HA in my army. I said I used 2 or 3 out of those I had (which could be more - up to 6, as you did). Of course it is much easier and doesn't neccessitate the pause button usage. In the attached battle there is an example of how I used them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suraknar View Post
    The article exists for a reason yes, I did not write it...

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

OrdaKhan posted a MP game on Youtube ages ago, I have no idea how he managed to control so many horse archers without screwing things up. In my mind I see a 300APM Starcraft player...

I use the pause alot, but I've made an effort not to use it as much as I did. Don't have real-life time to anally micro-manage the placement of every soldier any more.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    OrdaKhan posted a MP game on Youtube ages ago, I have no idea how he managed to control so many horse archers without screwing things up. In my mind I see a 300APM Starcraft player...

I use the pause alot, but I've made an effort not to use it as much as I did. Don't have real-life time to anally micro-manage the placement of every soldier any more.
    Do you have the link to his game?
    Last edited by MoKus; 10-17-2018 at 19:22.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    Do you have the like to his game?
    I couldn't find it, it might have been someone else that posted the battle vid. But it was Orda playing as the golden horde, mostly Horse Archer units.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrandir View Post
    Yet I don't use it. I can't say I'm perfect with horse archers yet I use two or three units of them without the pause button.
    Good for you !

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post
    Using/not-using the pause button is a matter of personal preference. That you choose to not use it is certainly commendable.
    Agreed.

With that many spread all over the battlefield, sometimes on opposite ends, micro-managing is crucial to keeping them alive (unless you have the luxury of Armenian Cataphract Archers). For me, it's nearly impossible to keep track of them all without use of the pause button.
    That's always been my experience too, along with keeping the rest of my Army from losing because you had left them "alone" for too long...

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Exactly !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12