Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Default Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Quote Originally Posted by Vantek View Post
    Hahahahaha that's hilrarious!
    It wouldn't have been too much of a stretch historically speaking. At the time, Catholics thought collecting interest was a sin. The Jews didn't have that problem, meaning they could finance an enterprise, make a return, and re-invest their profits in something else. It's basically what the whole world does now, but up until the Italian renaissance Jews were pretty much the only folks who did it in Europe.

Post Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Has anyone found a link between tradable goods and buildings? IE: I would like to build: winery, and have trade good: wine enabled...build: wheat field, and have tradable good: wheat enabled. Has anybody ever done this?
    Also where do I find the images for tradable goods so I can create new tradable goods. I know this is possible because I've seen them changed before, can anyone refresh my memory? Any information on modifying tradable goods would be helpful, perhaps I can come up with some more ideas, if you could direct me to the trade modification threads or tutorials that would also be nice.
    Thank you.
    Sir Breunor le Noire

Welcome to the org Sir Breunor, enjoy your stay,

No way to link tradeable goods to buildings afaik, although i dreamed many times how nice it would have been. The only building that "links" with trade goods is the trader, that gives out therelative income from land and naval trade relative to teh goods' value and where they are exported. Trade goods are declared at the beginning of the campaign for provinces and remain there always. They cannot be dynamically altered either over time which also would have been a nice proposition.

The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Breunor View Post
    [FONT="Verdana"][B]Has anyone found a link between tradable goods and buildings?
    The only link is that buildings with trading ability can be built in areas with trade goods.

However buildings can be made to require certain RESOURCES - gold, silver, salt etc. This way you can link certain building so certain areas, saldy there are only a couple hardcoded resources - metal ores, salt and one unused - forest. Still you can always re-name these resources and change their icons.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
    Still you can always re-name these resources and change their icons.
    How do you rename and change resource icons. I think that would be something I could find useful. I've heard before that they could be changed and altered, but I don't know how? Could you please post about it here or help me find a guide?
    Thank you.
    Sir Breunor le Noire

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Just open files in Loc/Eng folder of your MTW copy and search for 'silver'.

You should find the files responsible for transalation eventually and learn much about structure of MTW naming problems.

There should be two names - silver used for coding (shouldn't be changed) and silver (translated - on the right side). The second is the name which shows up on screen.

Icons are somewhere in campmap or textures - cannot check that at the moment.

Question about the WesW's Med Mod: I've searched high and low, but I couldn't find an answer to this question. Playing as the Byzantines in Glorious Achievement mode, I see that the Byzantines are the only ones without homeland points assigned (and 3 points for 10 provinces!) . I checked the "regowner_table" file where these points are assigned, and I see that the Byzantine faction is being described as "FN_BYZANTINE2" where all the other factions do not have this numerical appellation. I didn't want to change this without checking to see if it was important or not. Would deleting the 2 from the faction designator fix this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by An_Exile View Post
    Question about the WesW's Med Mod: I've searched high and low, but I couldn't find an answer to this question. Playing as the Byzantines in Glorious Achievement mode, I see that the Byzantines are the only ones without homeland points assigned (and 3 points for 10 provinces!) . I checked the "regowner_table" file where these points are assigned, and I see that the Byzantine faction is being described as "FN_BYZANTINE2" where all the other factions do not have this numerical appellation. I didn't want to change this without checking to see if it was important or not. Would deleting the 2 from the faction designator fix this problem?
    I haven't played the Medmod for quite some time, but I believe that the "2" refers to the Byzantines that you can play in the late period.
    Wes probably wanted to create a new faction slot for them to escape all the hardcoded stuff originally associated with the Byz (such
    as the influence bonus). The Byz in late are supposed to be weak, after all.

So yes, It would create problems to delete the "2".

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    I haven't played the Medmod for quite some time, but I believe that the "2" refers to the Byzantines that you can play in the late period.
    Wes probably wanted to create a new faction slot for them to escape all the hardcoded stuff originally associated with the Byz (such
    as the influence bonus). The Byz in late are supposed to be weak, after all.

So yes, It would create problems to delete the "2".
    Thanks. Due to some issues with the med mod, I went back to the XL mod with the tyberius addons. The Irish, except for the royal family, are all given Welsh names and surnames. There is an Irish entry for names there. Any ideas on what's going on?

Thanks. Due to some issues with the med mod, I went back to the XL mod with the tyberius addons.
    Same here. The Medmod is a fine effort, but in the end, you just can't beat the polished and bug free XL...

For example, the GA mode does not work in in Medmod (as you've noticed), and the option to start in High isn't there. My intent
    right now BTW is to prepare a home mod based on XL+Tyberius. The Medmod was to restrictive for my tastes, particularly because
    of the dullness of not being able to produce armies wherever I wanted on the map.

The Irish, except for the royal family, are all given Welsh names and surnames. There is an Irish entry for names there. Any ideas on what's going on?
    Interesting, I really never noticed that since I'm no expert on the history of the British isles. That problem would be easily corrected though,
    if you are patient. Names are straightforward to mod in MTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Durango View Post
    Interesting, I really never noticed that since I'm no expert on the history of the British isles. That problem would be easily corrected though, if you are patient. Names are straightforward to mod in MTW.
    It's not hard really; instead of O'Connor and such, I'm seeing ap Cadwgyn and the like. What threw me for a loop was the King and royal family's names remaining Irish, and the presence of an Irish names list (though horrifyingly small); if that list was there, all the Irish generals and commanders should have Irish names. I'll do a check to see if perhaps the situation has changed and see if the royal family have welsh names now too; if so, the problem's the list association with the faction (and the beginning royal family's names are specially noted, I think), and I just have to find where to change that in the directory.

I was wondering if there was a way to create a building with the requirements of either of two previous buildings. I was interested in creating an elaborite tech tree that was very specific to tradable goods at the time, and I thought that some buildings might need not both, but one of two different buildings to be built. I haven't seen any of this in Total War, but I would be very happy if someone knew a way to do this. I think that it would be something simple in the build prod file. Perhaps, making two sets of brackets such as in line "{}, {castle}, {castle2}, {{castle}, {castle2}, {castle3}}, {castle4}, {castle5}, {{castle4}, {castle5}, {castle6}}, {castle7}, {castle8}, {{castle7}, {castle8}, {castle9}}, {castle10}, {castle11, gunsmith}, {{castle10}, {castle11}, {castle12}}, {castle13, foundry2}, {castle14, foundry3}" I think this line means that I could do something like this "{{bowyer}, {swordsmith}, {spearmaker}}" and have another building be built as a follow up to either one. Please let me know if you think this is right or if there is a different way to do this.

As I was copying this line I think I found some inconsistencies. I think this line means that a bare fortress either does not come with the demi-culvern towers that you built onto your citadel, or that you can get the demi-culvern ability without building gunsmith by building the fortress, and that the techtree poster that came with the package is wrong because even to build demi-culvern towers, you do not need gunsmith3, just gunsmith.

My memory is now fuzzy on this, but if you're referring to an "OR" dependency? For example a building that can be constructed once you've built either a church or mosque (not both), then this is already in the build prod file. As you have guessed, castle upgrades show you exactly how this works:

{}, {castle}, {castle2}, {{castle}, {castle2}, {castle3}}

Fort has no dependency
    First fort upgrade depends on the fort
    Second fort upgrade depends on the first upgrade
    Keep depends on the fort or the first fort upgrade or the second fort upgrade

And so on.

The dependency you posted would work as a dependency for a building that could be constructed after building any of the three.

"{{bowyer}, {swordsmith}, {spearmaker}}"

Is there a way I can set a building so that I can either build one of two buildings but not both? So that as soon as I build one building, the ability to build the other goes away. I want to do this because I'm making a complex tech tree, and I want to save space on the in-game building menu, so that it doesn't overload with building possibilities. Maybe I can do this if I put all of them as upgrades with the prerequisite of the first building in line. Then will I be able to build any of the upgrades next, but not all of them?

I'm not sure that's possible. The only way to have a building automatically removed is to have it upgraded. You could have one building that has two possible upgrades, i.e.

building
    building2
    building3

You would then have to structure those as follows: "{}, {building}, {{building}, {building2}}"

This you understand already - it allows you to leapfrog from building to building3, bypassing building2 altogether. The problem enters when building 2 is constructed first as there is no way to stop the advancement on to building3.

If you want particular buildings per province, then try tying the building dependency down to a resource - in the same way that mines and metalsmiths work. So for example if you wanted a particular temple to be built only in a particular area, you could add a resource to that province, have the building depend on that and thus prevent it being built elsewhere. This particular temple could depend on a basic shrine which several other temples could also depend on, but not all would be buildable everywhere due to the resource dependency.

When I open build_prod13.txt in Genome Editor, under column 17 (Troop upgrade capabilities label,) the original upgrades total: UPGRADE_ARMOR(4), UPGRADE_WEAPON(4), UPGRADE_VALOR(2), UPGRADE_DISCIPLINE(1), and total UPGRADE_MORALE(7). Can I upgrade beyond these original statistics? I know that some of the upgrades such as valor, armor, and weapon have icons that probably limit my ability to go above them, but is there a way for me to create more icons for a higher limit? For discipline and morale, is there is a higher limit than 1 and 7?

As far as I know the discipline stat affects the chances of a unit becoming impetuous. I think discipline has three values: -1, 0 and 1. This relates to uncontrolled, normal and disciplined, respectively. So presumably when discipline is upgraded the uncontrolled units become normal and the normal units become disciplined. At least I think that's how it works.

The discipline upgrade is really of questionable value as uncontrolled units can be useful (they get a morale bonus from charging without orders and can be devastating attackers - i.e. Futuwwa, Ghazi and Nizari - or conversely they can wreck the battle - idiot Knights (CHARRRGGGGGEEE!!!!!)). The discipline upgrade is probably only useful for very high morale, elite cavalry units that you really don't want charging off on a whim (i.e. Knights).

I seem to remember morale having a cap, but cannot remember what it is - should be well above 7 though.
    Last edited by caravel; 09-03-2010 at 10:16.

1. unit_prod - How does column 19 "Moral Bonus" work? We have HONOUR_LEVEL in units' stats so what is the "moral bonus" for?
    2. build_prod - column 11 "AI building influences for building combos". The same question. How does it work? Does it combine with column 10? How?
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Hello Stazi

1. No idea. AFAIK the honor bonus is the morale you are always talking about and the unit info card abilities at a glance refer to that. It might simply not being used as the one that is meant to be at how many kills the unit valores up. That one is just not used.

2. I think that the numbers in parenthesis mean how much other buildings influence the AI in building the building the column has been writen for (if that makes sense). In similar manner imo works the other column that refers to AI unit builds in the unit_prod file. I had to tweak some of those for eligious agents slightly for the Caravel Mod.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

1. I think the "Morale Bonus" column is either unused or is only used in MP/custom battles as a modifier - most likely the former. The actual morale bonus stat is the misnamed "HONOUR_LEVEL". Valour/Honour is not set in the unit prod, all units start at 0 or get their bonuses from the bonus regions, master buildings, the general, experience in battle, etc.

What is the most popular and stable mod for medieval? Can anyone link me to a download for it.?

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sulla1982ad View Post
    What is the most popular and stable mod for medieval? Can anyone link me to a download for it.?
    There are mod threads in the Engineer's Guild forum, take a look around and see if anything matches what you are looking for. There are also some Hosted Mods.

There are some older, established mods like MedMod and BKB, newer ones like Tyberius, Redux, and Caravel, and total conversions like Pike and Musket and Samurai Warlords. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a mod. Do you want a Medieval themed mod, with better gameplay or faction options, or something completely different?
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

I want a mod that is set in the medieval era. I also might want to play hotseat games with it, so its got to be fairly popular.

"Fairly popular" is a relative term when talking about Medieval 1. I'm not sure how many people are still playing it regularly, with the all technical problems the game has with newer systems.

If you want, I can move this to either the Main Hall or the Engineer's Guild. Those get more traffic from the players or mod teams, respectively.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

I have a question. How the stats vice_index/virtue_index affect the holder's vice & virtue ? (startpos files - Region Governor Titles & Faction Offices)
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I have a question. How the stats vice_index/virtue_index affect the holder's vice & virtue ? (startpos files - Region Governor Titles & Faction Offices)
    Thank you.
    Good question. I'd like to know it too. I've run a few tests but even with extreme values it doesn't seem to affect the game. Looks like leftovers of an abandoned feature. Additional v&v's given along with titles would be nice.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    I'm not sure how they are used. For both the AddTitle and AddOffice lines, these are always zero for the main campaign startpos files. For the VI campaign, the AddTitle lines have -1 for all provinces for both. Maybe certain VnVs aren't active for the VI campaign?

Welcome to the Org, Cyclone!

I am not exactly sure should I post this here, but anyways.

I recently restarted a savegame in which I played as the Republic of Novgorod, which I had somehow modded in(I don't exactly remember how, but it was something really simple, like editing a text file) so that I could play as them in early period. Now I am wondering, what happens when the clock hits 1205 and the game goes to high period - will I be able to continue playing at all, and if I will, what happens to my units, e.g. will I be able to recruit those awesome Rus Spearmen anymore?

The factions throughout the game depend on the startpos file that you start the campaign with. So you will continue to be Novgorod after the High era kicks in. Had you started in High, you would be the Russians, but they don't exist in the EARLY.txt file.

You will lose the ability to recruit Rus Spearmen once the High era begins though, they are limited to Early only. In the unit prod file, just about every unit the Russians can recruit are also recruitable by Novgorod, I believe the only exception is Round Shield Spears. Once High rolls around, you are stuck with Armoured Spearmen as your only spear units.

Hey everyone, new to modding and was searching for a way to change to date triggers for historical events. I can't find it for MTW 1 in the files or folders and only "how to" I can find online if for MTW 2. Any knowledge on this matter?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast