Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Default Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

I'm a sorta newbie to MTW moddin, but I was wondering if there is a way to unlock frankland (sp?) in the VI campaign?

The Emperor

Hi all, I´d lik to know where the event pictures are stored in MTW, and what tool I need to view them, the same goes for the unit info pictures. I´ve trid the dragon*something* editor, but that kind of screws up the pictures, making them transparent in places.

Lightbulb Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

ok, someone else was asking about the event pictures, and ive looked all over the directory and couldnt find them anywhere. Could someone help us on this.

but for the info_pic files you need one of these
    http://www.mizus.com/Tools/Files/
    readbif22b.zip 20-Sep-2003 12:53 162k
    TEST_readbif23a.zip 27-Jan-2004 13:59 195k
    TEST_readbif23b.zip 01-Feb-2004 13:16 194k
    TEST_readbif23c.zip 01-Feb-2004 13:16 193k
    im not sure which one's better, try the last one readbif23c. I have an older version readbif21 and it views the files fine, the only problem i have with it is when editing, i have to do it pixel by pixel. i think its time i updated.

the info_pics are found in the directory: campmap/Info_pics and under the subdirectory of: units, buildings, agents and ships. with the readbif program youll find that you have to open the program first then on use file/open to open a bif file. double clicking it doesnt open the file.

YOu may want to try
    RSW_read_bif_buf_v22..> 20-Sep-2003 12:53 161k
    i havent tried it yet but it i believe it will read bif files as well as buf (which are used for agent and army pieces on the camp map)

The info pics will show up unique for each unit made. But for buildings, the info pics depend on the scripting in collumn 8 of Crusader_Build_prod13.txt (in the main directory). If you have Gnome editor, you can change collumn 8 to read the name of the info_pic/*.bif file that you want, or you could overwrite an old info_pic file with a new one. (The names of the Info_pic files and the buildings that they are assigned to are according to the information in collumn 8)

if you dont have gnome editor, you can get it in the same url
    Gnome_UnitBuildProj_..> 20-Sep-2003 12:53 85k
    Be without fear, in the face of your enemies.

Rise a knight!

Red face Re: New Patrons, you can post your questions here

Hey, The Emperor,
    welcome to MTW modding,
    It is possible to add a new country of Frankland to VI addon, but it would be no more simpler than adding a new island or a new province, what youll have to do is change the LukMap.lmb, and the startpos/*.txt, as well as add some entries to the loc/eng/names.txt and other txt files. This a process is usually hard for beginers because it takes time to learn it. Since i myself am not sure how to do it exactly i suggest that you Look for instructions on how to make campaign maps, around the forum database. Ask about how to change the LukMap using PaintShopPro, how to add new provinces to the spatrpos/*.txt, and ask about other scripting that might be needed.
    Sorry i cant help you more than just tell you what to look for, i havent successfully changed the campmap yet so i couldnt help you for sure. Good luck
    modding can be a very fun and usefull tool, because TW can be made to simulate whatever you can imagine, but it takes a bit of getting used to.
    Be without fear, in the face of your enemies.

Rise a knight!

Hey maybe someone can help me, I was wondering if you are able to edit stacks? I find it very troublesome that you can only have 960 men or 16 units. But 960 men is no where near enough to fit 16 units in. I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of the 960 man limit so it would allow you to fit the full 16 units in a stack no matter how many men there are. That would be great because I like to have a single stack be a seperate, full army with infantry, cav, artillery and all that. Very annoying having to have a stack, plus a couple extra units.

thanks in advance

Host Member Maeda Path Champion, Arkanoid Champion, 3D SuperBall Champion, Simon Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Breakout Champion Zain's Avatar

Yeah, my question is the same as Simovek

Someone please help.

-ZainDustin

hi,

can i ask how one would fix the mtw custom battles for the french to be able to select highland clansmen?

thanks

Flavius Claudius Julianus Member NodachiSam's Avatar

Because the French and Scottish were allied? That's a cool idea.
    Please check out my art http://calcaneus.deviantart.com/

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jagmaster
    hi,

can i ask how one would fix the mtw custom battles for the french to be able to select highland clansmen?

thanks
    You need Gnome editor to open files where are units stats. You can without Gnome, but it's hard.

When you open with Gnome, just find Highland Clansmen and the last row is for mercenaries and custom battles.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Hello all,

I am pretty well stumped and thought i'd throw out a request for help. I have been modding unit stats and startpos files for a long time now. I decided to try something new and do some basic map modding as well. After reading the guides in the archives I understood that the .LBM files actually control gameplay and the maptext files are only the display. All i want to change is the display. I wanted to blur out the names on the map now and then insert my own modded names. I downloaded a paint program and made the changes to the maptext files. However when my camp map tries to load I get a CTD. What could I be doing wrong?

things I know and tried to fix.

I know that you can't save as and then move your maptext in because the paint program changes things so I loaded the original maptext made all the changes at once and then saved back to the original folder.

I know it works best on low res and i tried changing the map in both low and high res as maptext and maptext2

I heard something about file sizes but didn't understand.

Any help out there?

Hello everyone
    I have a question for the experts.

In my mod I makign a new faction which I call Celts, and i am making them out of Burgundians. All the mechanics parts are working fine, its just few things I like to know how to change.

I want to make my Celts Pagan, however if I set their culture to Pagan all their portraits will revert to those of the Mongol Horde. Of course i could just go into viking folder and copy all the viking portrets over horde portrets, but them all the mongols will look like vikings =)

SO basicly, while running a regular medieval campaign i am trying to have both- let mongols use their portraits, and have my ex-burgundians to be pagans with vikings portraits (scots, irish whatever from VI)

any ideas?

also - is it posible to add prists and princesses for Pagan faction?

also for Pagan AI behavior there only seems to be barbarian_raider, is it posible to set pagan faction to naval_expansionist etc?

thank you =)

UPDATE: well with help from BBK i figured all of these out, so no need to reply =)
    Last edited by ChaosSlayer; 09-08-2006 at 06:23.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Well ChaosSlayer,

You can open the Startpos file.

Inside there is a section saying

Code:
    //========================================
    //
    // Override function for the portraits..
    //
    // When this is specified the game will 
    // ignore the factions culture when 
    // locating the portrait images and
    // use this folder instead..
    //
    //========================================

PortraitsOverride::
    After PortraitsOverride:: place the name of the faction and then the folder in "" 's.

For example:

Code:
    PortraitsOverride:: FN_REBELS       "Catholic"
    So in your case put "Vikings".

And yes you can set a Pagan faction to naval_expansionist, as that is the Ai selection.

More on the Priests and Princesses later
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Greetings

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight into MTW's AI, in particular, what sets a faction against the player. Ive been playing MTW/XL
    for a while now and seem to, no matter what faction Im playing, attract lots and lots of Assassins. Is there certain types of behavior that makes the Ai send Spies and Assassins or is it just random? I want to know to satisfy my own curiosity but It might also help with subterfuge guide that's being created
    If Theres a Ai guide then cool, I'll check it out but ive searched the forums and cant find one - Any help much appreciated

MTW Modder and Supporter Member Aenarion's Avatar

Hi Vidar. I would like to see such a guide regarding AI in MTW, but as u said, I can't find neither. Although, I managed to find this. I'm not sure if it will fit for all your requests because it is about 'Tweaking the AI to build more balanced armies' :- https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=33846

Hope this 'partially' helps. Although I would still like to know if there are any AI MTW guides.

Thanks,
    Aenarion
    Silmarillion:TotalWar -A modification for MTW:VI
    Pls visit our website at: Silmarillion Mod
    And our Silmarillion Topic
    Modding Links:
    Alchemist Lab and Repository

Many thanks Aenarion, Ive checked out the Thread you posted and although it isnt exactly what i was talking about, there are certain comments within the thread that are illuminating with regards to what is known about the Campaign Ai - My questions may be one's only one of the the developers can fully answer, although it has just occurred to me that part of what I want to know (What makes The Ai send spies, Assassins etc) might lie in an examination of the different Ai personality types, hmmm... - Anyway Cheers for responding The thread was useful. I think i'll go and Check out your Silmarillion mod now sounds interesting -

Glad you've found it abit useful.

I think i'll go and Check out your Silmarillion mod now sounds interesting
    Thanks! We really need some support hehe!
    Modding Links:

Philosophically Inclined Member CountMRVHS's Avatar

Anyone know the max number of factions that can exist in MTW VI?

I'm making a mod based on the Early game, set in the time of Charlemagne. I've added 6 factions: the Franks, the (continental) Saxons, the Mercians, the Bretons, the Basques, and the Avars. I could get to the campaign map with all of those.

However, after I tried to add a Bulgar faction (following Ex_Starkhorn's guide I printed out a couple years back for MTWVI), I was unable to get to my mod on the main menu. The selection simply wasn't there. I could see the selections for Vikings, Early, High, Late, and a couple other campaigns I've made, but not my "Charlemagne" campaign.

I wondered if I've hit some sort of faction limit. I've created all these factions "from scratch" as it were; in other words, I didn't simply rename the French as the Franks, the Germans as the Saxons, or what have you. The French, English, Germans, and several other factions still exist as factions in the startpos files, but *not* in my game.

Any ideas as to why I can't get to my campaign?

CountMRVHS

Edit: Disregard!

The error was a simple typo, as I found when I scrutinized my startpos file. I had placed my king in buGLaria rather than buLGaria. D'oh. Let that be a lesson to all you kids out there -- mod slowly, mod safely!
    Last edited by CountMRVHS; 09-30-2006 at 01:59.

The Pale Horseman Member Galagros's Avatar

I'm think the limit is 30. But on second thought it could be 21... I can't recall, but it has been discussed a lot so you should be able to do a quick search and get your answer.

Good luck with your mod.
    Favorite Authors (At the Moment)
    1. George RR Martin
    2. Bernard Cornwell
    3. Robert Jordan

I didn't know where to post my question so I posted in the Main Hall but then Martok kindly directed me here so I'll just quote what I posted before

Quote Originally Posted by vixtro
    I didn't know where to post this exactly so I'll just post it here.

I'm in a good game at the moment with the Vikings in the VI expansion pack and the game is telling me I only have 20 years left when I want more time to play about.

How do I make it so I got an extra 500 years or so?

Cheers.

I've went ahead through Gnome editor and made Knights Templar trainable in Jerusalem at a Chapter House plus Horse Breeder plus Swordsmith. Started a game as English, built a Crusade in Wessex, and noticed there were no Templars in my Crusade.

Is this because I specified the Templars' province of origin and required buildings? In the unmodded version, the Templars and all other Crusader knights have no building reqs listed.

I'd like to be able to make Templars trainable in Jerusalem, but I'd also like to have them in a Crusade that originates in, say, Wessex or Ile de France. I don't really want to be able to *build* templars anywhere other than Jerusalem; I figure if I make them trainable in Wessex or Ile de France I'll get Templar-spamming from the AI. Is it possible to keep them linked to Crusades AND trainable in Jerusalem?

CountMRVHS

Hi CountMRVHS,

Did you assign the Templar Units to be playable with the English faction? Also, did you specify the period in which they could appear (i.e. early, high or late or all periods)? Try and check these out, they might help solve your problem.

Thanks,
    Aenarion
    Modding Links:

Hi Aenarion,

The only fields I changed for the Templars in Gnome were the Building requirements and province requirement (which I made Jerusalem). I think the Templars were already specified for the French, English, and Sicilians.

In any case, my main concern is that I want the Templars to spontaneously appear in Crusades. I know I could set the game up so I could train Templars wherever I choose, but I don't want this to mean that they'll no longer appear in Crusades. When I started a test Crusade as the English, no Templars appeared, but I got some Fanatics and Order Foot Soldiers.

However, the absence of the Templars in that particular Crusade might be coincidental -- IIRC, sometimes when you start a Crusade you don't necessarily get the Templars (or Teutonic Knights, if you're German, or Hospitallers if you're Italian, etc), so there might be some randomness involved.

Basically, I'm curious if my giving the Templars building requirements and a province requirement means that they'll no longer ever appear in my Crusades.

CountMRVHS

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Column 11 of the unit_prod file, opened in Gnome editor gives you the Rebelling Troop type mixes. For Knight Templar the value is set to CRUSADE(-10). You can also experiment with positive numbers, a CRUSADE(250) should result in plenty of Knights in almost all Crusades.

Is it possible to keep them linked to Crusades AND trainable in Jerusalem?
    Not sure, it may result in the Templars only being able to join Crusades that originate in a province that fulfills the building requirements. But generally, yes of course, how else would you have peasants or other trainable troops in your crusades?

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

The Ai regards several values to determine what units it should build:

1. The personality the faction is set to (Catholic_Crusader for example), these are defined in the startpos but can/will change once the game runs.
    2. In the unit_prod you'll find a column "Unit choices" which includes all possible personality values and an integer. The higher the integer, the more likely the AI will build a certain unit when set to a certain personality
    3. Initial cost and upkeep cost
    4. Usability of the unit, from "Unit class"

If you, for example, set the Assassin to DESPERATE_DEFENSE (250) it's most likely that it will produce Assassins when it gets set to that personality by the game. The integer numbers have to be compared against the other values of the other units. If the peasants are set to DESPERATE_DEFENSE (300) it's likely the AI will build peasants before Assassins.

R'as

Quote Originally Posted by Vidar
    Many thanks Aenarion, Ive checked out the Thread you posted and although it isnt exactly what i was talking about, there are certain comments within the thread that are illuminating with regards to what is known about the Campaign Ai - My questions may be one's only one of the the developers can fully answer, although it has just occurred to me that part of what I want to know (What makes The Ai send spies, Assassins etc) might lie in an examination of the different Ai personality types, hmmm... - Anyway Cheers for responding The thread was useful. I think i'll go and Check out your Silmarillion mod now sounds interesting -

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

I want to play the papacy in MTW XL. One of their GA goals is crusading but they are uable to. I have notified VikingHorde of this problem and it will be fixed.

In the meantime I would like to fix it myself. I think I just have to let the papacy build the chapterhouse. So how would I do that?

PS I have no modding experience
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

You need to open the build_prod file (that comes with the mod) with Gnome and edit column 20.
    The vanilla build prod entry reads:
    "{ FN_ENGLISH, FN_FRENCH, FN_GERMAN_HRE, FN_ITALIAN, FN_SPANISH, FN_ARAGONESE, FN_SICILIAN }"

Change this to
    "{ FN_ENGLISH, FN_FRENCH, FN_GERMAN_HRE, FN_ITALIAN, FN_SPANISH, FN_ARAGONESE, FN_SICILIAN, FN_PAPACY }"

That enables the Chapter House for the Papacy.
    Gnome can be downloaded here

R'as

Blog Entries

Thanks R'as for the fast reply. I'll try it at once.

Will it cause problems when I want to play another campaign I started earlier with the Volga-Bulgars?
    Last edited by Peasant Phill; 10-20-2006 at 12:23.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill
    Thanks R'as for the fast reply. I'll try it at once.

Will it cause problems when I want to play another campaign I started earlier with the Volga-Bulgars?
    Not nessecarily, but I found out that changes can often lead to corrupt save games. It's always good to backup the files you're editing. You can then swap them back if you should need to.

R'as

Blog Entries

Thanks again R'as

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast